Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Street faries, new record

There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of having
stuff picked up from the curb. A gas grill took 20 minutes, a sofa took two
days. Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in just over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower for
someone. If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable price,
there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-11, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Let me know if it works. I have one I can donate.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote in
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 8:26*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of having
stuff picked up from the curb. *A gas grill took 20 minutes, a sofa took two
days. * Yesterday, it was my old power mower. *Gone in just over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower for
someone. *If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable price,
there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Last year I was helping my sister clean out her husbands work shop and
get rid of some of the clutter he had accumulated before he died. We
put a couple of things down by the curb and went back to the shop.
When I noticed a guy with a big trailer stop to pick the stuff up, I
went down and asked him if he wanted more. He backed his trailer up to
the door of the work shop and loaded him up.

Turns out he was an older guy from another town 40 miles away that
made extra money by just driving around looking for metal things
people put out by the road and he picks up the stuff and takes it to
the junk yard to sell.

So when I cleaned out my basement and garage, I decided to see how
much I could get at the junk yard for my stuff and loaded up my
nephew's pickup and took it to the junk yard and wound up with a
couple hundred dollars in my pocket.

If you've never done that before, where I went, I just drove up on the
scales at the junk yard, a person at the window wrote down my license
plate number and the weight of the truck loaded. Then I drove around
to place to unload and a guy with a big magnet on a crane just lowered
the magnet down over the back of the truck several times and unloaded
all the junk. Then I drove back over the scales again so the person at
the window noted the weight of the truck again and I parked and went
inside and they gave me the cash. Easy as pie.

I did have a bucket of copper that was more involved. It was dealt
with separately and had to show identification and fingerprinted and
such.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 9:26*am, Country wrote:
[...]

Around here there have been a lot of vacant homes with all the
plumbing stolen, and the local scrap yards have started doing photo
ids of any sellers of scrap metals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in just over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower
for someone. If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at
reasonable price, there will be three winners in the chain.

You can be sure that he's not picking it up to fix it.

It's going straight to the metal recycler.

Between what it would cost to fix, the time involved, and the likely
selling price, you'd be lucky to have enough left over for a Big Mac
meal combo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 2:26*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of having
stuff picked up from the curb. *A gas grill took 20 minutes, a sofa took two
days. * Yesterday, it was my old power mower. *Gone in just over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower for
someone. *If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable price,
there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

It would be considered "fly tipping" over here (UK) and illegal.
However there are lots of recycle centres and charity shops. They
don't give any money though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-tipping

The scrapyards give money but not a great amount (Except for lead and
copper)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 9:26*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of having
stuff picked up from the curb. *A gas grill took 20 minutes, a sofa took two
days. * Yesterday, it was my old power mower. *Gone in just over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower for
someone. *If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable price,
there will be three winners in the chain.

There is so much stuff that's like this. The trick is getting the
cast off or damaged stuff to the right people. In the bicycling world
there are quite a few companies that use old bicycle tires, tubes,
parts, and even frames as semi-raw materials to create new biking
stuff.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

I tried it and, nope, it doesn't work. People kept dumping them out
of the lawn chair and just taking the lawn chair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of having
stuff picked up from the curb. A gas grill took 20 minutes, a sofa took
two days. Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in just over 10
minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower for
someone. If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable price,
there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Be sure to put up a sign saying NO RETURNS (grin) ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

Country wrote in
:

[...]

Rampant in Fayetteville NC.

Saw a guy, by himself in pouring rain, stop and put a cast iron bathtub
in his pickup. Three of us had taken it out.

Had a large metal furnace vent no longer being used and started to drip
in the attic. Chose to just remove, sheathing patch and shingle. I threw
it off the roof into the front yard. Before I came down it was gone.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-11, RicodJour wrote:

I tried it and, nope, it doesn't work. People kept dumping them out
of the lawn chair and just taking the lawn chair.

LOL.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of
having stuff picked up from the curb. A gas grill took 20 minutes, a
sofa took two days. Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in
just over 10 minutes.

Do you put a "free" sign on them or just park them in front. I have the theory
that those that just leave things in front of their house are supplying only
dishonest people, since the things could just be something waitin for the next
move in or out if there is not a clear indication they are being offered free.
I've often passed by curb items because there was nobody home to indicate that
they are being offered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote

It would be considered "fly tipping" over here (UK) and illegal.
However there are lots of recycle centres and charity shops. They
don't give any money though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-tipping

The scrapyards give money but not a great amount (Except for lead and
copper)

Even putting out something on your own property is illegal?

It is, of course, illegal to just dup stuff. Fines can be a couple hundred
bucks for littering and go up from there. .

Many years ago, dumping in empty lots was common. There was such a lot at
the end of my brother's street. He would go check the trash and look for
mail, magazines, or whatever with the person's address. Most often he found
it. Then he'd pack the stuff up and toss it on their front lawn. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Had a large metal furnace vent no longer being used and started to
drip in the attic. Chose to just remove, sheathing patch and shingle.
I threw it off the roof into the front yard. Before I came down it
was gone.

Stolen by a dishonest person.

I've had a number of things in front of my garage stolen before I had enough to
make it worth a load to the metal recycler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 10:45 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:26 am, wrote:
On Sep 11, 8:26 am, "Ed wrote:

[...]

There was a newly vacant home (owner died) in the next town over where
they simply pulled up and stripped off all of the aluminum siding last week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

Red Green wrote:
Had a large metal furnace vent no longer being used and started to
drip in the attic. Chose to just remove, sheathing patch and shingle.
I threw it off the roof into the front yard. Before I came down it
was gone.

Stolen by a dishonest person.

I've had a number of things in front of my garage stolen before I had
enough to make it worth a load to the metal recycler.

No not stolen. It was trash to me. Knowing the area, I would not have threw
it there if I wanted it. If it's near the curb and it's metal it's game.
It's a "rule".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of
having stuff picked up from the curb. A gas grill took 20 minutes, a
sofa took two days. Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in
just over 10 minutes.

Do you put a "free" sign on them or just park them in front. I have the
theory that those that just leave things in front of their house are
supplying only dishonest people, since the things could just be something
waitin for the next move in or out if there is not a clear indication they
are being offered free. I've often passed by curb items because there was
nobody home to indicate that they are being offered.

I put a sign on it so there is no question. Someone pointed out this may go
to a metal scrap yard, but it is also possible to rebuild the engine and
sell it for a few bucks. A guy across town does things like that. I'm sure
many of the power tools he finds in the trash need simple carb cleanings and
the like. Gas grills are another hot item as most need a new burner and
some adjusting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 9:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of
having stuff picked up from the curb. A gas grill took 20 minutes, a
sofa took two days. Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in just
over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower
for someone. If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable
price, there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Mebbe- got any that know how to use tools, can actually work, and aren't
TOO mouthy? I could use a helper for a few weeks. I'd even feed them and
give them a place to sleep in out of the rain, and maybe even pay them a
little, before I sent them back.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Mebbe- got any that know how to use tools, can actually work, and aren't
TOO mouthy? I could use a helper for a few weeks. I'd even feed them and
give them a place to sleep in out of the rain, and maybe even pay them a
little, before I sent them back.

--
aem sends...

I had my grandson packing until I read the last three words. That is a deal
killer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Mebbe- got any that know how to use tools, can actually work, and aren't
TOO mouthy? I could use a helper for a few weeks. I'd even feed them and
give them a place to sleep in out of the rain, and maybe even pay them a
little, before I sent them back.

--
aem sends...

I had my grandson packing until I read the last three words. That is a deal
killer.

I was gone LONG before then. It they can actually work and aren't too
mouthy, why get rid of them in the first place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 09:26:47 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of having
stuff picked up from the curb. A gas grill took 20 minutes, a sofa took two
days. Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in just over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower for
someone. If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable price,
there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Pickers often show up around here right when it's time to trundle the
garbage to the street.
Seen them get stuff I put by the street with a minute or 2.
One time I hadn't finished hauling all the metal from my garage to the
street. Saw a couple guys pull over across the street in the usual
beat up pickup, so I waved them over to get 4 shot batteries I had
stacked in the garage.
They hesitated, then got out and came over, heads down, wearing billed
baseball caps, baggy clothes.
When they got next to me, I thought, man these are tiny guys.
Then one of them looked up at me.
They were pretty girls.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 6:26*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of having
stuff picked up from the curb. *A gas grill took 20 minutes, a sofa took two
days. * Yesterday, it was my old power mower. *Gone in just over 10 minutes.

Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower for
someone. *If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at reasonable price,
there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if anyone
will take them?

Ed-

Do you put an ad on Craigslist or just the object out there with a
"free" sign?

In my area, the ads for free stuff "at the curb" are
titled, in part, "Curb Alert" in the Craigslist - Free section

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 8:40*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"harry" wrote

It would be considered "fly tipping" over here (UK) and illegal.
However there are lots of recycle centres and charity shops. They
don't give any money though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-tipping

The scrapyards give money but not a great amount (Except for lead and
copper)

Even putting out something on your own property is illegal?

It is, of course, illegal to just dump stuff. *Fines can be a couple hundred
bucks for littering and go up from there. .

Many years ago, dumping in empty lots was common. *There was such a lot at
the end of my brother's street. *He would go check the trash and look for
mail, magazines, or whatever with the person's address. *Most often he found
it. *Then he'd pack the stuff up and toss it on their front lawn. *.

Yes, Ed....

even in these times of "green-ness" and "reduce, reuse, recycle"
many municipalities have ordnanaces prohibiting
putting stuff out in front of your house with a "free" sign.

My neighbor who lost her house to foreclosure had a very nice couch
in her driveway with a note to the person she was giving to.......
some dumb ass from the city cited here. Our tax dollars at work.

The way some people get around the "free" sign prohibition is to use
Craigslsit.....the "market" is much larger anyway since I live on a
dead end street.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-11, DD_BobK wrote:

even in these times of "green-ness" and "reduce, reuse, recycle"
many municipalities have ordnanaces prohibiting
putting stuff out in front of your house with a "free" sign.

When I had to move, I had no choice. I filled 3 dumpsters fulla 20
yrs of junk. Good stuff jes got put next to the dumpster with a free
sign. I did this for about 3 wks. All the freebie stuff was always
gone by next morning.

I can understand not wanting to allow ppl to leave garbage on the
street indefinitely, but to outlaw giving things away? Santa Clara CA
has a single day when everyone in town does it. Once per year, ppl
from all over the SFBA come to SC to scarf up the cool freebies.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DD_BobK" wrote
Ed-

Do you put an ad on Craigslist or just the object out there with a
"free" sign?

In my area, the ads for free stuff "at the curb" are
titled, in part, "Curb Alert" in the Craigslist - Free section

cheers
Bob

Just put it on the curb with the FREE sign. It was gone before I could open
a web page to list it anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote

I can understand not wanting to allow ppl to leave garbage on the
street indefinitely, but to outlaw giving things away? Santa Clara CA
has a single day when everyone in town does it. Once per year, ppl
from all over the SFBA come to SC to scarf up the cool freebies.

nb

That makes sense. I've never bothered with a yard sale. If I don't want
it, you can have it. I'd rather give something away that try to sell it.
Maybe some of the stuff ends up on a yard sale someplace, we do have a few
perpetual yard sales around here. Used to be you could leave good stuff on
the side at the dump, but that is now closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Had a large metal furnace vent no longer being used and started to
drip in the attic. Chose to just remove, sheathing patch and
shingle. I threw it off the roof into the front yard. Before I came
down it was gone.

Stolen by a dishonest person.

I've had a number of things in front of my garage stolen before I had
enough to make it worth a load to the metal recycler.

No not stolen. It was trash to me. Knowing the area, I would not have
threw it there if I wanted it. If it's near the curb and it's metal
it's game. It's a "rule".

No, it's not.

I was told a story about a neighbor that saw someone disassembling the swing set
in her neighbors front yard. when she told the person to leave alone, the thief
told her "if it's in the front yard, it's free". Not until the threat of calling
the police did the thief leave. Those kids might have disagreed too.

Nothing in anyone's yard is free for the taking without permission. Even the
stuff in the recycling cans, which most places belongs to the recycling
company/utility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

That just depends on who sees it first. There are plenty of "recyclers" cruising
the streets looking for metal. I had one try to argue with me about a washer and
dryer I had just put in my back yard where it could be seen from the street.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"DD_BobK" wrote
Ed-

Do you put an ad on Craigslist or just the object out there with a
"free" sign?

In my area, the ads for free stuff "at the curb" are
titled, in part, "Curb Alert" in the Craigslist - Free section

cheers
Bob

Just put it on the curb with the FREE sign. It was gone before I
could open a web page to list it anyway.

I took a chair out to the street once. It was gone before I got back to the
garage.I wish someone wanted the junk in fron of my house now. Oh well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 15:14:54 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Seems like a law enforcement issue with common thievery.
Around here "front yard" across the sidewalk from the house is
technically village property. That's about 15' wide.
You mow the lawn, but the trees are theirs.
Only place on that front yard where somebody would consider taking
something is right by the driveway apron from sidewalk to street.
I put stuff on the grass corner there when I don't want it encroaching
the driveway.
Never saw the pickers even step on my property or the village strip,
except the time I invited them closer.
What's for the taking can be reached from the street.
Of course that's here, and other street/property layouts are
different.
I can see where it could be a problem.
Too many thieves.
Reminds me of the time I was working on my car in Chicago, in front of
the house where I rented a garden apartment.
Residential neighborhood of homes, mostly frame.
I had left some new parts on the little sidewalk from street to main
sidewalk. Not 8 feet away from me where I was working.
I kid about 6 years old comes off the main sidewalk and picked
up a set of wiper blades. His ma was waiting for him, as she had told
him to fetch it.
Couldn't believe it. I actually had to say "Hey! That's mine, give
it here," and take it from him. His ma is yelling "It's on the
sidewalk!"
WTF?
Thieves raise thieves.
..
--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There is not much traffic on my street, yet I have a good record of
having stuff picked up from the curb. A gas grill took 20 minutes, a
sofa took two days. Yesterday, it was my old power mower. Gone in
just over 10 minutes.
Engine is shot, but with a few internal parts it will be a good mower
for someone. If the guy picking it up fixes and sells it at
reasonable price, there will be three winners in the chain.

Hey, I wonder, if I sit a couple of family members by the curb if
anyone will take them?

Heh! I sometimes drive around the neighborhood the night before heavy trash
pickup. My best score was a military jerry can. Stenciled on the bottom is
the legend:

"III Army - Sep 1944"

My little can may have helped George Patton liberate Bastonge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-11, DD_BobK wrote:

even in these times of "green-ness" and * *"reduce, reuse, recycle"
many municipalities have ordnanaces prohibiting
putting stuff out in front of your house with a "free" sign.

When I had to move, I had no choice. *I filled 3 dumpsters fulla 20
yrs of junk. *Good stuff jes got put next to the dumpster with a free
sign. *I did this for about 3 wks. *All the freebie stuff was always
gone by next morning.

I can understand not wanting to allow ppl to leave garbage on the
street indefinitely, but to outlaw giving things away? *Santa Clara CA
has a single day when everyone in town does it. *Once per year, ppl
from all over the SFBA come to SC to scarf up the cool freebies.

nb

Much more enlightened public policy than a 100% prohibition.

The city only allows garage / yard sales 4x per year so one could also
"sell" some unwanted stuff really cheap.

People who write silly ordinances seldom get what they want.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 15:14:54 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

.

Yeah! Well, your car is in the street - I want it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 1:05 pm, notbob wrote:
On 2011-09-11, DD_BobK wrote:

[...]

With only 4 days a year, how am I going to collect the junk that ends up in my
sale?

I'd really hate that policy. Garage sales are a great tradition. With them and
thrift shops and craigslist ads, I rarely buy tools, appliances, and electronic
at retail stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 4:40*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"harry" wrote

It would be considered "fly tipping" over here (UK) and illegal.
However there are lots of recycle centres and charity shops. They
don't give any money though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-tipping

The scrapyards give money but not a great amount (Except for lead and
copper)

Even putting out something on your own property is illegal?

It is, of course, illegal to just dup stuff. *Fines can be a couple hundred
bucks for littering and go up from there. .

Many years ago, dumping in empty lots was common. *There was such a lot at
the end of my brother's street. *He would go check the trash and look for
mail, magazines, or whatever with the person's address. *Most often he found
it. *Then he'd pack the stuff up and toss it on their front lawn. *.

We have county officials dothat. Only the perpetrators end up in
court if caught out.
The price of petrolr ound here, (UK) no-one could just tour round
looking for junk on the off-chance.
Things are getting bad over here, the charity shops are running out
of "stock".
There are more and more "£1 shops" opening. Big stores areg going
bust.
Or there's here.

You put something on this place and someone usually rings in minutes.
Sometimes seconds. Free Ebay. Heh Heh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 6:27*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Heh Heh. I'll come ify ou'll pay the fare. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-12, DD_BobK wrote:

Much more enlightened public policy than a 100% prohibition.

Even more elightened, and what I forgot to mention, is the fact that
after 24 hrs, anything not taken away by pickers is hauled off and
dumped by the city, at no cost to the residents.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

Much more enlightened public policy than a 100% prohibition.

Even more elightened, and what I forgot to mention, is the fact that
after 24 hrs, anything not taken away by pickers is hauled off and
dumped by the city,

at no cost to the residents.

At no cost?

So your city sanitation people work for free?

Your landfills don't cost anything to operate or charge per ton?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Heh! I sometimes drive around the neighborhood the night before heavy
trash pickup. My best score was a military jerry can. Stenciled on the
bottom is the legend:

"III Army - Sep 1944"

My little can may have helped George Patton liberate Bastonge.

Bastogne.

I'm sure glad that George did that, since I was just born, and still in
occupied Holland.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
Or there's here.

You put something on this place and someone usually rings in minutes.
Sometimes seconds. Free Ebay. Heh Heh!

I get goodies via freecycle all the time. You're right. Anything of real use is
gone in minutes.

Gas street lamps Matty F UK diy 28 August 5th 09 12:23 AM
Wall Street Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 3 October 1st 08 12:57 AM
1.5" PVC Street Wye or 1.5" Street Union [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 14th 07 03:59 AM
STREET LUGE J T Woodworking 5 May 12th 05 02:35 AM
OT - Street lighting Kris UK diy 8 April 1st 05 05:19 PM