Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - California South (and more) power cut

TinyURL was created!
The following URL:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/08...age-affects-mi
llions-in-california-arizona-and-mexico/?test=latestnews

has a length of 116 characters and resulted in the
following
TinyURL which has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/3ujnc6e

Sept. 8, 2011:
SAN DIEGO - Millions of people on both sides of the
U.S.-Mexico border were left without power Thursday
after a major outage that extended from Arizona to
southern California, including San Diego, the eighth
largest U.S. city.

"To my knowledge this is the first time we've lost an
entire system,".

The outage started before 4 p.m. PDT extended from
southern parts of Orange County to San Diego to
Yuma, Arizona. It also is affecting cities south of
the border across much of the state of northern Baja.

All outgoing flights from San Diego's Lindbergh Field
were grounded and police stations were using gener-
ators to accept emergency calls across San Diego
County.

Residents in parts of eastern San Diego County and
Yuma, Ariz. endured sweltering temperatures with
no air conditioning.

"It's 113 degrees right now outside and 75 in my office,"
said Yuma city spokesman Greg Hyland, who was sitting
in the dark, answering calls.

1.4 million customers may be without power until Friday.

transmission failure that started at a large switching
station in Arizona, where several high-voltage lines come
together.

"I suspect the system was overwhelmed by too many
outages in too many places,"

In the desert heat of the Palm Springs area, the temperature
was 111 on Thursday, with the rolling blackouts.

The Eisenhower Medical Center will serve as an oasis
of air conditioning since it operates on its own power
source. Hospital welcomed fragile seniors and others
affected by the heat to cool off in their lobby.

In southern Orange County, the sheriff's department
dispatched deputies to busy intersections because
traffic lights were out, said John McDonald, a sheriff's
spokesman. Outages were confirmed in San Clemente,
San Juan Capistrano and Laguna Hills, he said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

transmission failure that started at a large switching
station in Arizona, where several high-voltage lines come
together.

You've got to wonder why California is buying power from Arizona.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2011 6:51 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

transmission failure that started at a large switching
station in Arizona, where several high-voltage lines come
together.

You've got to wonder why California is buying power from Arizona.

Stopping by the Hoover dam, where I thought California got most of the
power, we were told that hydroelectric is much less than that generated
by nuclear plant(s) in the area.

Googling got this as first hit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palo_Ve...rating_Station

Posted to alt.home.repair

The bleach blonde idiots don't want power plants in CA.
They're ugly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

transmission failure that started at a large switching
station in Arizona, where several high-voltage lines come
together.

You've got to wonder why California is buying power from
Arizona.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

transmission failure that started at a large switching
station in Arizona, where several high-voltage lines come
together.

You've got to wonder why California is buying power from Arizona.

Stopping by the Hoover dam, where I thought California got most of the
power, we were told that hydroelectric is much less than that generated
by nuclear plant(s) in the area.

In the early days of the (Boulder) dam, much of the electricity went
to CA.

factoid: When the dam was finished Boulder City (today's name),
residents were given free power -- until that home owner died. After
that folks started paying for energy.

Today Las Vegas gobbles of the electricity -- but not all of it :-/

CA buys water (or starts a war).

This is Hoover Dam today.

Pic:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2irastj.jpg

Googling got this as first hit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palo_Ve...rating_Station

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Stopping by the Hoover dam, where I thought California got most of
the power, we were told that hydroelectric is much less than that
generated by nuclear plant(s) in the area.

Today Las Vegas gobbles of the electricity -- but not all of it :-/

CA buys water (or starts a war).

All of Nevada uses less than a quarter of Hoover Dam's output. California
uses more than half of the electricity generated by Hoover Dam (the
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California uses almost 30% by
itself, Los Angeles another 15%).