Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OT - California South (and more) power cut

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:03:00 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:51 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

transmission failure that started at a large switching
station in Arizona, where several high-voltage lines come
together.

You've got to wonder why California is buying power from Arizona.

Stopping by the Hoover dam, where I thought California got most of the
power, we were told that hydroelectric is much less than that generated
by nuclear plant(s) in the area.

In the early days of the (Boulder) dam, much of the electricity went
to CA.

factoid: When the dam was finished Boulder City (today's name),
residents were given free power -- until that home owner died. After
that folks started paying for energy.

Today Las Vegas gobbles of the electricity -- but not all of it :-/

CA buys water (or starts a war).

This is Hoover Dam today.

Pic:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2irastj.jpg