Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Another Electronics Question..... CD player-NO speaker

Yesterday it was the DVR questions, today it's a portable CD player
with no speaker. I bought a box of stuff at an auction for a couple
bucks and was surprised to find a Phillips CD player in the box, and
complete with wall wart and car cig lighter cord. Better yet, it
works.

Here's the problem. It has no speaker built in. It only has a
earphone jack. I plugged a cord into that jack which normally runs
the sound from my computer to my home stereo, and it sounds excellent.
This is fine, but I dont need a CD player in the house, I'd like it in
my car.

It did NOT come with an earphone, and even if it did, *I hate
earphones*. My car just has the basic stock AM-FM radio with no AUX
jacks. So, what do I need to buy to amplify this thing? I'd prefer
something that just plugs into the cig lighter and does not need to be
installed in the dash, mainly because I have several vehicles. OR, do
they just make a speaker box to plug in to it?

Sorry for all this off topic stuff, but back when I was young,
everything came with a speaker. The kids these days seem to be happy
with something stuck in their ears, but that wont be me. All I want
is an inexpensive speaker device to plug into it so I can hear it
without earphones. I only assume it will need a powered amplifier or
I'd just take an old computer speaker and plug it in, and toss it on
the seat in the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
There is a such a thing as small FM transmitter you can plug into phone
jack and tune your radio. to pick up the CD signal(sound)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 00:18:06 -0600, Tony Hwang

[...]

That sounds like a great idea. Where can such a thing be gotten? I'd
look on ebay or similar, but I guess I need a name for the thing.

does it still come out in stereo with that thing?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

How about CD FM transmitter?
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...iw=820&bih=504

In addition, if your car radio also has a tape player, you can get dummy
tape cassetes that plug into the CD player and play through the dummy tape
cartridge (inserted into car or other tape deck).
http://video.about.com/portables/Car-Audio-Options-.htm

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 00:18:06 -0600, Tony Hwang

Yesterday it was the DVR questions, today it's a portable CD player
with no speaker.

snip

There is a such a thing as small FM transmitter you can plug into phone
jack and tune your radio. to pick up the CD signal(sound)

That sounds like a great idea. Where can such a thing be gotten? I'd
look on ebay or similar, but I guess I need a name for the thing.

does it still come out in stereo with that thing?

I have been using one of these stereo FM transmitters for a number of months
and it works well.

http://www.provantage.com/scosche-fmt4~7SCSH0CV.htm

- David Harper

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"David Harper" wrote in
eb.com:

wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 00:18:06 -0600, Tony Hwang

Yesterday it was the DVR questions, today it's a portable CD player
with no speaker.

snip

There is a such a thing as small FM transmitter you can plug into
phone jack and tune your radio. to pick up the CD signal(sound)

That sounds like a great idea. Where can such a thing be gotten?
I'd look on ebay or similar, but I guess I need a name for the thing.

does it still come out in stereo with that thing?

I have been using one of these stereo FM transmitters for a number of
months and it works well.

http://www.provantage.com/scosche-fmt4~7SCSH0CV.htm

- David Harper

I've had something like that but it didn't work in my 2005 Caravan for my
iPhone ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2011 12:20 AM, wrote:
Yesterday it was the DVR questions, today it's a portable CD player
with no speaker. I bought a box of stuff at an auction for a couple
bucks and was surprised to find a Phillips CD player in the box, and
complete with wall wart and car cig lighter cord. Better yet, it
works.

CD players are pretty much displaced by digital players. You can get a
current model player from a manufacturer such as a Sandisk that has
enough capacity to hold 2,000 songs or lots of podcasts or whatever,
doesn't have a motor and has terrific battery life and is ~ 2 x 1 1/4"
for $30

[...]

Even older "kids" do that. How would you use it say on an airplane? And
it is a lot more convenient to transport a complete system (player,
power source, ear buds) in your shirt pocket than lugging something big
around. I have a little Sansa player that plays for days on an AAA
battery. I don't use it as much anymore because my smartphone can do
everything the little player can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 9/8/2011 12:20 AM, wrote:
[...]

Are you answering his question or giving a lecture?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2011 10:24 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

George wrote:
On 9/8/2011 12:20 AM, wrote:
[...]

Answering the question. If someone isn't aware of a much more common and
better way of doing something isn't describing that idea helpful?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:20:34 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Deal Extreme has all sorts of FM transmitters from about $6 and up. I have a
couple of them and they work, as long as you live in an area with a clear FM
station. They're kind of a PITA on long trips because it's hard to find a
station that will remain clear.

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/fm+transmitter

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 9/8/2011 12:20 AM, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
I still use turn table playing LP records through my vintage vacuum tube
stereo amp. Also I carry iPod. Am I a cave man?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
"David Harper" wrote in
eb.com:

wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 00:18:06 -0600, Tony Hwang

Yesterday it was the DVR questions, today it's a portable CD
player with no speaker.

snip

There is a such a thing as small FM transmitter you can plug into
phone jack and tune your radio. to pick up the CD signal(sound)

That sounds like a great idea. Where can such a thing be gotten?
I'd look on ebay or similar, but I guess I need a name for the
thing.

does it still come out in stereo with that thing?

I have been using one of these stereo FM transmitters for a number of
months and it works well.

http://www.provantage.com/scosche-fmt4~7SCSH0CV.htm

- David Harper

I've had something like that but it didn't work in my 2005 Caravan
for my iPhone ...

I've never had a problem in my 1994 caravan.

DealExtreme has a lot of these if you don't mind slow delivery for a great
price. Look for ones with a strong transmitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Easy way to do it, walmart, this one even has the audio cable, but
I'd rip the CD's and use a USB Flash drive and go that way with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/I-Tec-Adju..._fb_revshr_001
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:09:35 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

Han wrote:
"David Harper" wrote in
eb.com:

wrote in message
[...]

Slow delivery? Really? The one time I ordered from DealExtreme the trinkets
were in my hand within a week. Not bad from China, via the USPS. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 18:00:05 -0500, Fatter Than Ever Moe HardTimes@TheFarm

[...]

I bought a couple similar to that from DealExtreme for about $6 each. I also
bought a AA powered transmitter for around $10. Shipping added another $5 or
so. At $20, Wallmart is a ripoff. ;-) ...and they're out of stock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fatter Than Ever Moe HardTimes@TheFarm wrote:

snip
Easy way to do it, walmart, this one even has the audio cable, but
I'd rip the CD's and use a USB Flash drive and go that way with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/I-Tec-Adju..._fb_revshr_001

Amazon has it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H3G5OM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0048LS1TO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=055YH2PKMQBZWN3B6ZQ7
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 9/8/2011 12:20 AM, wrote:
[...]

I live in cave. Still playing LP on my turn table using vacuum tube
stereo amp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:03:34 -0400, George
wrote:

CD players are pretty much displaced by digital players. You can get a
current model player from a manufacturer such as a Sandisk that has
enough capacity to hold 2,000 songs or lots of podcasts or whatever,
doesn't have a motor and has terrific battery life and is ~ 2 x 1 1/4"
for $30

I bought a MP3 player last year. It too came with an earphone (I
think they call them ear buds), but no speaker. I plugged it into my
house stereo because I could not use it in the car except with the ear
phones. But I often have my laptop computer in the car and I can play
MP3s on it when I drive. Not the greatest sound on that tiny speaker,
but better than the junk they play on the radio.

I imagine those FM transmitters would work on the MP3 player too...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

CD players are pretty much displaced by digital players. You can get a
current model player from a manufacturer such as a Sandisk that has
enough capacity to hold 2,000 songs or lots of podcasts or whatever,
doesn't have a motor and has terrific battery life and is ~ 2 x 1 1/4"
for $30

I bought a MP3 player last year. *It too came with an earphone (I
think they call them ear buds), but no speaker. *I plugged it into my
house stereo because I could not use it in the car except with the ear
phones. *But I often have my laptop computer in the car and I can play
MP3s on it when I drive. *Not the greatest sound on that tiny speaker,
but better than the junk they play on the radio. *

I imagine those FM transmitters would work on the MP3 player too...

Good lord. Go to Walmart and buy an in-dash AM/FM/CD player for $50 or
less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And MP3/USB. And if you want to throw an other $60 bucks at it you can
get a model that will do hands free bluetooth so you can use your phone
(or just stream from a player over bluetooth) . Saves having all of the
cables, adapters and whatever all over the place in the car.