Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default (OT) Another Electronics Question..... CD player-NO speaker

George wrote:
On 9/8/2011 12:20 AM, wrote:
Yesterday it was the DVR questions, today it's a portable CD player
with no speaker. I bought a box of stuff at an auction for a couple
bucks and was surprised to find a Phillips CD player in the box, and
complete with wall wart and car cig lighter cord. Better yet, it
works.

CD players are pretty much displaced by digital players. You can get a
current model player from a manufacturer such as a Sandisk that has
enough capacity to hold 2,000 songs or lots of podcasts or whatever,
doesn't have a motor and has terrific battery life and is ~ 2 x 1 1/4"
for $30

Here's the problem. It has no speaker built in. It only has a
earphone jack. I plugged a cord into that jack which normally runs
the sound from my computer to my home stereo, and it sounds excellent.
This is fine, but I dont need a CD player in the house, I'd like it in
my car.

It did NOT come with an earphone, and even if it did, *I hate
earphones*. My car just has the basic stock AM-FM radio with no AUX
jacks. So, what do I need to buy to amplify this thing? I'd prefer
something that just plugs into the cig lighter and does not need to be
installed in the dash, mainly because I have several vehicles. OR, do
they just make a speaker box to plug in to it?

Sorry for all this off topic stuff, but back when I was young,
everything came with a speaker. The kids these days seem to be happy
with something stuck in their ears, but that wont be me. All I want
is an inexpensive speaker device to plug into it so I can hear it
without earphones. I only assume it will need a powered amplifier or
I'd just take an old computer speaker and plug it in, and toss it on
the seat in the car.

Even older "kids" do that. How would you use it say on an airplane? And
it is a lot more convenient to transport a complete system (player,
power source, ear buds) in your shirt pocket than lugging something big
around. I have a little Sansa player that plays for days on an AAA
battery. I don't use it as much anymore because my smartphone can do
everything the little player can.

Hi,
Are you answering his question or giving a lecture?