Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Touch-up basement walls

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 15:06:15 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in
1954, poured-concrete foundation.

There were some minor problems with water in the basement many years ago.
With a sump pump installed, there's been little or no moisture in recent
years.

Basement walls (inside) have some kind of white paint on them. Up high, the walls
and paint are in good shape. Starting about 18 " above the floor, many
areas have bubbled paint and very shallow surface deterioration of the
concrete (crumbling).

In years past, I'd do surface prep with a wire brush, and coat with DAP Bondex
Masonry Waterproofer, which I gather is no longer on the market.

Even with no moisture, I don't expect any paint, etc to last particularly
long. Basement walls just slowly crumble, virtually forever. But I need
some kind of white coating to put over the repaired concrete damage.

Any suggestions on what to use in place of the Bondex stuff? UGL Drylok is
$28/gal. he is it worth it?

I'm thinking of painting my unpainted basement walls.
Mikepier mentioned here he used Thorseal and I've read about it
and Drylok.
Pretty sure they are only meant to go on bare concrete/block.
So check that out before you decide.
Mine basement was poured in 1959,
I don't believe basement walls should crumble.
At least in a lifetime or two. I've never seen it, but can't say I've
seen many basements anyway.
I've read that's basically caused by water intrusion into the
concrete.
Densicrete might cure it, along with the usual grading, drainage, etc.
Since I don't have any bad concrete or dampness, I think I'm just
going to use latex paint.
If you can clear up that crumbling, you might consider that.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:44:41 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

I'm thinking of painting my unpainted basement walls.
Mikepier mentioned here he used Thorseal and I've read about it
and Drylok.
Pretty sure they are only meant to go on bare concrete/block.
So check that out before you decide.
Mine basement was poured in 1959,
I don't believe basement walls should crumble.
At least in a lifetime or two. I've never seen it, but can't say I've
seen many basements anyway.
I've read that's basically caused by water intrusion into the
concrete.
Densicrete might cure it, along with the usual grading, drainage, etc.
Since I don't have any bad concrete or dampness, I think I'm just
going to use latex paint.
If you can clear up that crumbling, you might consider that.

Thanks, but the "very shallow surface deterioration" involves no serious
crumbling. Most of it is ~ 1/16" deep, none is over 1/4". It needs only
surface prep and a paint-like sealer of some kind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

My house in the Chicago suburbs was built in 1957, there is no sign of
any deterioration of the poured concrete basement walls anywhere.