Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Best way to anchor basement walls ?

What is the best way to secure/anchor the foot of a basement walls.
Most remodeling books illustrate using masonry nails, but I have been
told that all that does it shatter the concrete and create a divot ?
Others state a better solution is to drill holes and use expansion
anchors ? Maybe just use a bead of liquid nails ?

Anyone have any experience with this ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
What is the best way to secure/anchor the foot of a basement walls.
Most remodeling books illustrate using masonry nails, but I have been
told that all that does it shatter the concrete and create a divot ?
Others state a better solution is to drill holes and use expansion
anchors ? Maybe just use a bead of liquid nails ?

Anyone have any experience with this ?

The modern day method is PL400 and tapcons.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

sid wrote:

What is the best way to secure/anchor the foot of a basement walls.
Most remodeling books illustrate using masonry nails, but I have been
told that all that does it shatter the concrete and create a divot ?
Others state a better solution is to drill holes and use expansion
anchors ? Maybe just use a bead of liquid nails ?

Anyone have any experience with this ?

The modern day method is PL400 and tapcons.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

When I had a project, I chose the structural adhesive. I had the
advantage that the wall would be well secured to the joist above and the
structural adhesive worked just fine.

To elucidate on my previous terse post, the holding power of the
PL400 is the real security of the system. The tapcons merely
hold everything in place until the adhesive sets, then they
become superfluous.

Framers generally select 'mostly' straight lumber (i.e; slightly
curved, even some S curved) for the bottom plate, knowing that it
will be attached and can be "made straight", while saving the
straighter pieces of lumber for the top and upper plates. This
allows the framer to use more of the lumber for something other
than blocking and bracing. Having been raised that way, the
bottom plate usually requires some straightening, thus the
tapcons to hold it on the line, until the adhesive sets.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 05:29:22 -0700 (PDT), sid
wrote:

What is the best way to secure/anchor the foot of a basement walls.
Most remodeling books illustrate using masonry nails, but I have been
told that all that does it shatter the concrete and create a divot ?
Others state a better solution is to drill holes and use expansion
anchors ? Maybe just use a bead of liquid nails ?

Anyone have any experience with this ?

For basement: Use KD Pressure-treated lumber for anything touching
concrete walls or floors. If your PT is not dry, take it to someone
who can dry it or sticker it and allow it to air-dry for 6-8 months.
Wet lumber can cause all sorts of problems. You can use the special
blue concrete screws with pre-drilled pilots plus construction
adhesive. Tapcons are another alternative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:29 am, sid wrote:
What is the best way to secure/anchor the foot of a basement walls.
Most remodeling books illustrate using masonry nails, but I have been
told that all that does it shatter the concrete and create a divot ?
Others state a better solution is to drill holes and use expansion
anchors ? Maybe just use a bead of liquid nails ?

Avoid the gunpowder charge nail guns as they can crack the slab.

I second the tapcon recommendations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
On Mar 25, 8:29 am, sid wrote:
What is the best way to secure/anchor the foot of a basement walls.

Avoid the gunpowder charge nail guns as they can crack the slab.

I second the tapcon recommendations.

I've never seen that happen--must either be a poor slab or the wrong
fastener/charge. The powder-actuated would be my first choice (but I
have one so rental isn't needed).

Tapcon surely works but is a lot more trouble than necessary altho for a
one-time deal if have the hammer-drill is undoubtedly cheaper and the
drill is more useful in the long run if don't...

$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:44 pm, dpb wrote:

I've never seen that happen--must either be a poor slab or the wrong
fastener/charge. The powder-actuated would be my first choice (but I
have one so rental isn't needed).

It was an old slab - which might have been the problem. Some time
later I read an article that suggested not using those on concrete
more than a few years old. It's certainly the best tool for the job,
but for the do-it-yourselfer I'd recommend a slower method based
solely on my own screwup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:44 pm, dpb wrote:
I've never seen that happen--must either be a poor slab or the wrong
fastener/charge. The powder-actuated would be my first choice (but I
have one so rental isn't needed).

It was an old slab - which might have been the problem. Some time
later I read an article that suggested not using those on concrete
more than a few years old. It's certainly the best tool for the job,
but for the do-it-yourselfer I'd recommend a slower method based
solely on my own screwup.

I've used them on very old and very hard slabs w/ no significant
problem--I was going to modify the previous to say occasional chipping
or similar, but I don't recall any time it was anything I thought more
than a little cosmetic damage.

The only place I had real trouble one time was a very old slab w/ lots
of very large and very hard aggregate--the stone was a bear. But,
trying to use tapcon or something similar would have been tough, too.

The biggest disadvantage I see for the DIY'er is the rental and
inexperience...

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Mar 25, 2:44 pm, dpb wrote:
[...]

Do I really need to use treated lumber on the walls just because they
are in contact with the concrete ?
I understand using a piece of pressure treated lumber on the bottom,
but the studs as well ?

Thanks

Eli.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:36*pm, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:

Avoid the gunpowder charge nail guns as they can crack the slab.

Only on old concrete. "Green" concrete, stuff that is 28 days old,
the charge nails will penetrate with no issue.

Tapcons are awesome, though. Why didn't they come up with these 20
years ago?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

Avoid the gunpowder charge nail guns as they can crack the slab.

Only on old concrete. "Green" concrete, stuff that is 28 days old,
the charge nails will penetrate with no issue.

Tapcons are awesome, though. Why didn't they come up with these 20
years ago?

Actually, I first saw them about 20 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Avoid the gunpowder charge nail guns as they can crack the slab.

Only on old concrete. "Green" concrete, stuff that is 28 days old,
the charge nails will penetrate with no issue.

Tapcons are awesome, though. Why didn't they come up with these 20
years ago?

Actually, I first saw them about 20 years ago.

Green concrete or not, I've never seen a powder actuated fastener crack
concrete. I suppose if it's really old poor quality concrete that's only
2" thick it might, but in that case it's just pointing out that you need
to put in a proper slab.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 2:44 pm, dpb wrote:
[...]

If there is any chance that moisture will penetrate the concrete than you
should use either a vapor barrior like plastic sheeting or a paint on
concrete sealer or treated lumber. Else you could get a mold problem from
constant condensation even if there is not a standing water leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Mar 25, 2:44 pm, dpb wrote:
[...]

constant condensation even if there is not a standing water leak.- Hide quoted text -

Moisture, I don't think so.
This is new construction and the wall has a berm on the outside that
slopes down to a retention pond that has a water level way lower than
the floor of the basement. I don't see any water coming through that
wall. Besides, I was going to cover the wall with Owens Formular 1"
and then studs. Isn't the Owens pink foam board enough of a vapor
barrier ?

If the only reason to use Tapcons is to hold the wall in place until
the glue dries, What is the cure time of the glue ?
If I don't plan to hang wallborad for a day or two after the glue is
applied, do I really need Tapcons ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Avoid the gunpowder charge nail guns as they can crack the slab.

Only on old concrete. "Green" concrete, stuff that is 28 days old,
the charge nails will penetrate with no issue.

Tapcons are awesome, though. Why didn't they come up with these 20
years ago?

Actually, I first saw them about 20 years ago.

I always favored laying out the basement to make anchoring walls into
slab a moot point. Anchor into an outside wall, trap a post in the wall,
whatever. Even a short dogleg section will make a wall stay where it
belongs, if you tie it off to the joists correctly.
Even long straight runs were never a problem, with a good jam fit
between slab and ceiling. Not like they are holding up anything, after all.
--
aem sends...