Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Film Removal

Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to help block
the sunlight. It gradually faded out and has gotten scratched in
several places. Today we started trying to take it off using a razor
blade scraper -- it's slow and not too effective. Do any of you have
any suggestions about an easier and faster way. Is there anything we
get to wash it with? It feels sticky? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Dottie" wrote in message
Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to help block
the sunlight. It gradually faded out and has gotten scratched in
several places. Today we started trying to take it off using a razor
blade scraper -- it's slow and not too effective. Do any of you have
any suggestions about an easier and faster way. Is there anything we
get to wash it with? It feels sticky? Thanks.

You might try a hair dryer and soften it a little and see if you can very
carefully peel it up that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:56*pm, Dottie wrote:
Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to help block
the sunlight. *It gradually faded out and has gotten scratched in
several places. *Today we started trying to take it off using a razor
blade scraper -- it's slow and not too effective. *Do any of you have
any suggestions about an easier and faster way. *Is there anything we
get to wash it with? *It feels sticky? *Thanks.

Why does this sound like the same Dottie that had so much
trouble with a weed whacker...

Heat the window film with a hair dryer like the first respondent
advised and carefully scrape with the razor blade scraper...

Of course the windows are going to be sticky, how do you think
the film stayed on ? Love ?

Use rubbing alcohol and some old cloths you are ready to throw
away to clean off the adhesive residue...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to help block
the sunlight. It gradually faded out and has gotten scratched in
several places. Today we started trying to take it off using a razor
blade scraper -- it's slow and not too effective. Do any of you have
any suggestions about an easier and faster way. Is there anything we
get to wash it with? It feels sticky? Thanks.

Peel it first...get under a corner and work it up until you can grip and
pull it off. For the glue residue, lacquer thinner removes it easily. So
do various citrus based cleaners and they don't evaporate as rapidly. Won't
go *BOOM* either.

If for some reason you can't peel it, wet with water with some ammonia and
let sit a while. The hair dryer thing should work too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

As suggested, may remove easier with some heat. hair dryer.

Also, WD-40 may help remove the sticky. Which, everyone
knows, WD-40 is a lubricant.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dottie" wrote in message
Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to
help block
the sunlight. It gradually faded out and has gotten
scratched in
several places. Today we started trying to take it off
using a razor
blade scraper -- it's slow and not too effective. Do any of
you have
any suggestions about an easier and faster way. Is there
anything we
get to wash it with? It feels sticky? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt rubbing alcohol will work. Probably a more petroleum
based adhesive. Be interesting to hear, if it does.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan"
wrote in message news:178764d9-b202-40dd-8592-

Use rubbing alcohol and some old cloths you are ready to
throw
away to clean off the adhesive residue...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2011 9:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I doubt rubbing alcohol will work. Probably a more petroleum
based adhesive. Be interesting to hear, if it does.

I was thinking Goop Off (or similar citrus based product) might work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My dad bought a bottle of that orange citrus remover, and
really loved it. Bought me a bottle, also. I havn't tried it
on anything. Perhaps one day soon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JimT" wrote in message
net...
On 9/3/2011 9:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I doubt rubbing alcohol will work. Probably a more
petroleum
based adhesive. Be interesting to hear, if it does.

I was thinking Goop Off (or similar citrus based product)
might work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 9:33*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My dad bought a bottle of that orange citrus remover, and
really loved it. Bought me a bottle, also. I havn't tried it
on anything. Perhaps one day soon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"JimT" wrote in message

net...
On 9/3/2011 9:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I doubt rubbing alcohol will work. Probably a more
petroleum
based adhesive. Be interesting to hear, if it does.

I was thinking Goop Off (or similar citrus based product)
might work.

Id try going to some of the window film manufacturer's
websites and seeing how they recommend removing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My dad bought a bottle of that orange citrus remover, and
really loved it. Bought me a bottle, also. I havn't tried it
on anything. Perhaps one day soon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"JimT" wrote in message

tnet...
On 9/3/2011 9:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I doubt rubbing alcohol will work. Probably a more
petroleum
based adhesive. Be interesting to hear, if it does.

I was thinking Goop Off (or similar citrus based product)
might work.

Id try going to some of the window film manufacturer's
websites and seeing how they recommend removing it.

The rubbing alcohol worked better than Goof Off! We took a razor
blade and alcohol and got it off....but it was a very thin layer. I
think it had sort of deteriorated with the hot sun. Someone else told
me that she hired some people to re-do hers -- and they used steel
wool to take off the old stuff. Said it didn't hurt the glass at
all ... when I start on the other window I may try that. Thanks for
the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 12:03 PM, Dottie wrote:

wrote:
My dad bought a bottle of that orange citrus remover, and
really loved it. Bought me a bottle, also. I havn't tried it
on anything. Perhaps one day soon.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
wrote in message
net...
On 9/3/2011 9:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I doubt rubbing alcohol will work. Probably a more
petroleum
based adhesive. Be interesting to hear, if it does.
I was thinking Goop Off (or similar citrus based product)
might work.

Id try going to some of the window film manufacturer's
websites and seeing how they recommend removing it.

The rubbing alcohol worked better than Goof Off! We took a razor
blade and alcohol and got it off....but it was a very thin layer. I
think it had sort of deteriorated with the hot sun. Someone else told
me that she hired some people to re-do hers -- and they used steel
wool to take off the old stuff. Said it didn't hurt the glass at
all ... when I start on the other window I may try that. Thanks for
the help.

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Rarely happens. BTW: Steel
wool comes in several different grits so to say "steel wool" will not
hurt glass is questionable.

What are you using to block sunlight now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:10:26 -0500, JimT wrote:

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Rarely happens. BTW: Steel
wool comes in several different grits so to say "steel wool" will not
hurt glass is questionable.

That's what I thought.
Always thought that was a no-no.
So I looked and found this.
http://www.ehow.com/video_2329665_st...w-washing.html

I'll still probably not use it.
But mostly because I don't deal with glass a lot.
I used to uses newspaper for the final pass on glass, but now I never
have any around.
I have scratched glass with razors.
But that's from letting the angle get too high.
Never scratches for me if I'm careful to keep the angle real low.
It's one of those "must stay patient" deals.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 12:34 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:10:26 -0500, wrote:

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Rarely happens. BTW: Steel
wool comes in several different grits so to say "steel wool" will not
hurt glass is questionable.

That's what I thought.
Always thought that was a no-no.
So I looked and found this.
http://www.ehow.com/video_2329665_st...w-washing.html

I'll still probably not use it.
But mostly because I don't deal with glass a lot.
I used to uses newspaper for the final pass on glass, but now I never
have any around.
I have scratched glass with razors.
But that's from letting the angle get too high.
Never scratches for me if I'm careful to keep the angle real low.
It's one of those "must stay patient" deals.

--Vic

I wasn't able to pull up. Crappy modem/router/dsl combo thing going over
here. Need a new wireless router/modem.

I suspect any sw is going to produce scratches. You may not be able to
see them. I clean my aquariums with a razor blade type scraper that
works really well. Looks like this one
*http://tinyurl.com/3evpan9

The one I have hasn't scratched yet. :-)

*
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the one I use:

http://www.thepaintstore.com/v/vspfi...5-00021-2T.jpg

Was in the paint dept at HD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:55:04 -0500, JimT wrote:

This is the one I use:

http://www.thepaintstore.com/v/vspfi...5-00021-2T.jpg

Was in the paint dept at HD

Did you know they have plastic razor blades?
First I knew of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Razor-...m_cr_pr_sims_t
Guess they can't scratch glass, but never tried them.
Probably won't because I just don't have the need.
But if was removing window film and really wanted safety against
scratching the glass, I'd give them a try for kicks. They're cheap.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 1:37 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:55:04 -0500, wrote:

This is the one I use:

http://www.thepaintstore.com/v/vspfi...5-00021-2T.jpg

Was in the paint dept at HD

Did you know they have plastic razor blades?
First I knew of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Razor-...m_cr_pr_sims_t
Guess they can't scratch glass, but never tried them.
Probably won't because I just don't have the need.
But if was removing window film and really wanted safety against
scratching the glass, I'd give them a try for kicks. They're cheap.

--Vic

I might have tried that awhile back but my scraper works really well.

Now I need a modem/router. Considerably more expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote in
:

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:55:04 -0500, JimT wrote:

This is the one I use:

http://www.thepaintstore.com/v/vspfi...5-00021-2T.jpg

Was in the paint dept at HD

Did you know they have plastic razor blades?

Well I'll be! Thanks Vic.

First I knew of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Razor-...dp/B003E3Q5AY/
ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t Guess they can't scratch glass, but never tried
them. Probably won't because I just don't have the need.
But if was removing window film and really wanted safety against
scratching the glass, I'd give them a try for kicks. They're cheap.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 2, 7:56*pm, Dottie wrote:
Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to help block
the sunlight. *It gradually faded out and has gotten scratched in
several places. *Today we started trying to take it off using a razor
blade scraper -- it's slow and not too effective. *Do any of you have
any suggestions about an easier and faster way. *Is there anything we
get to wash it with? *It feels sticky? *Thanks.

Use a spray bottle with ammonia in it and make sure you change the
razor blade often. If you ever have to remove film again spray the
glass with ammonia and place a black plastic trash bag on the glass
while the sun is shining on the glass. IOW when the glass is hot.
Leave the trash bag on for about 5 minutes and then the film will peel
off. At least the top layer will. Then you can remove the rest with
single edge razors (in a scarper) while spraying it with ammonia.

Self Adhering Window Film? uncle K Home Repair 19 February 5th 10 02:49 PM
Window film to cut down on heat Adrian UK diy 12 July 3rd 09 12:03 AM
Window Film Tiziano Home Ownership 1 June 23rd 09 02:38 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Window Film Richard Martin Home Ownership 0 March 22nd 04 02:40 PM