Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Shale gas inthe USA

Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...timated-by-80/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 9:49 AM, harry wrote:
Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...timated-by-80/

right, and Irene wuz a cat 5, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 7:12*am, Caravan wrote:
On 8/30/2011 9:49 AM, harry wrote:

Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...rcellus-shale-...

right, and Irene wuz a cat 5, eh?

And Elvis is alive and well.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...timated-by-80/

The current estimate is 410 trillion cubic feet. The state of New York uses
about 1.1 trillion cubic feet per year, so this lowered estimate means New
York only has enough natural gas from this field for only 400 years.

Leave it to the liberal Think Progress group to omit this fact. They can't
really be blamed inasmuch as maths is hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 3:41 PM, HeyBub wrote:
harry wrote:
Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...timated-by-80/

The current estimate is 410 trillion cubic feet. The state of New York uses
about 1.1 trillion cubic feet per year, so this lowered estimate means New
York only has enough natural gas from this field for only 400 years.

Leave it to the liberal Think Progress group to omit this fact. They can't
really be blamed inasmuch as maths is hard.

I'm reminded that a lot of folks think natural gas is a "green" source
of energy.

I think it is the word, natural, that convinces them.

I propose we call our other fossil fuels, natural coal and natural oil
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 7:12 am, wrote:
On 8/30/2011 9:49 AM, harry wrote:

Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...rcellus-shale-...

right, and Irene wuz a cat 5, eh?

And Elvis is alive and well.

Harry K

u seen 'im?

In Vegas? Lotsa times. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Totally oustanding, brilliant. well done!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message
On 8/30/2011 3:41 PM, HeyBub wrote:
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...timated-by-80/

The current estimate is 410 trillion cubic feet. The state
of New York uses
about 1.1 trillion cubic feet per year, so this lowered
estimate means New
York only has enough natural gas from this field for only
400 years.

Leave it to the liberal Think Progress group to omit this
fact. They can't
really be blamed inasmuch as maths is hard.

I'm reminded that a lot of folks think natural gas is a
"green" source
of energy.

I think it is the word, natural, that convinces them.

I propose we call our other fossil fuels, natural coal and
natural oil

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

I think it is the word, natural, that convinces them.

The entire supplement and "naturcutical" industries were built on that
premise.. without any intervention from that pesky FDA.

I propose we call our other fossil fuels, natural coal and natural oil

Posted to alt.home.repair

And Jesus mows my lawn.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Aug 30, 7:12 am, Caravan wrote:
On 8/30/2011 9:49 AM, harry wrote:

Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...rcellus-shale-...

right, and Irene wuz a cat 5, eh?

And Elvis is alive and well.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 7:12 am, wrote:
On 8/30/2011 9:49 AM, harry wrote:

Estimates of gas in major gas field cut by 80%.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...rcellus-shale-...

right, and Irene wuz a cat 5, eh?

And Elvis is alive and well.

Harry K

u seen 'im?

In Vegas? Lotsa times. ;-)

that wuz one o dem Elbis impersontaters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:52:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

And Jesus mows my lawn.

Hiring illegals, again, huh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 8:26*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:52:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
And Jesus mows my lawn.

Hiring illegals, again, huh.

Our oil masters must be a little worried. They're having the
President arrest quiet, well-behaved legal demonstrators in front of
the White House. Some big names along with hoi polloi. As they are
arrested, more come forward for the next day's demonstrations. The
people are determined not to let this [supply your epithet]
go forward.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 4:04*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:26*am, "

wrote:
And Jesus mows my lawn.

Hiring illegals, again, huh.

Our oil masters must be a little worried. *They're having the
President arrest quiet, well-behaved legal demonstrators in front of
the White House. *Some big names along with hoi polloi. *As they are
arrested, more come forward for the next day's demonstrations. *The
people are determined not to let this [supply your epithet]
go forward.

HB

Sorry - I meant the pipeline fromCanadian oil shale down to the Gulf
of Mexico. Horrendous environmental consequences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
And Jesus mows my lawn.

Hiring illegals, again, huh.

Our oil masters must be a little worried. *They're having the
President arrest quiet, well-behaved legal demonstrators in front of
the White House. *Some big names along with hoi polloi. *As they are
arrested, more come forward for the next day's demonstrations. *The
people are determined not to let this [supply your epithet]
go forward.

HB

Sorry - I meant the pipeline fromCanadian oil shale down to the Gulf
of Mexico. Horrendous environmental consequences.

You *are* a crazy old hag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
And Jesus mows my lawn.

Hiring illegals, again, huh.

Our oil masters must be a little worried. They're having the
President arrest quiet, well-behaved legal demonstrators in front of
the White House. Some big names along with hoi polloi. As they are
arrested, more come forward for the next day's demonstrations. The
people are determined not to let this [supply your epithet]
go forward.

HB

Sorry - I meant the pipeline fromCanadian oil shale down to the Gulf
of Mexico. Horrendous environmental consequences.

Worse than tankers, trains, trucks or any other way of moving oil?

Has to do with the environmental consequences of extracting oil from
shale. HUGE difference from extracting "light, sweet"crude oil (such
as produced by Libya!)

From "The Times of London"" back in Feb before the Libyan thing really
got going, why the oil markets were so jumpy:

""The secret lies not in the quantity but quality of Libyan oil. It is
'light' and 'sweet' . That's the oilman's jargon for describing oil as
having high relative density and low sulfur content. This makes the
oil particularly easy to refine. If the oil has a high sulfur content
it is called 'sour' .""

There is a lengthy report on problems of exploiting shale oil in the
U.S. at http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34748.pdf.

The problems connected with such a long pipeline are environmental--
impact on land and wildlife and danger of breakage/spills along its
enormous length, traversing many populated US States. Elements of
the Obama administration have apparently given it the go-ahead, in
tune with oil industry plugs such as FuelFix's ""reassurance"" that
everything is going to be OK. Yeah, sure...

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

Sorry - I meant the pipeline fromCanadian oil shale down to the Gulf
of Mexico. Horrendous environmental consequences.

I don't think you appreciate the amount of pipelines already in existence.
There are over 55,000 miles of oil transport pipelines in the U.S., whose
diameter range from 8 to 24 inches.

While there are occasional mishaps, maybe one a year (decade? century?), the
benefits far outweigh the negatives.

For example, the proposed pipeline is designed to ship 700,000 bbls of oil
per day. That's equivalent to about 50% of the oil we import from Arab
countries.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:j3qb47$a2i$1
@dont-email.me:

I cherish my Liberal friends
because they keep me on my toes and alert to what's going on. Attack the
message, not the messenger but it's OK to tease them. :-)

That's such a beautiful statement, it brought tears to my eyes ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
And Jesus mows my lawn.

Hiring illegals, again, huh.

Our oil masters must be a little worried. They're having the
President arrest quiet, well-behaved legal demonstrators in front of
the White House. Some big names along with hoi polloi. As they are
arrested, more come forward for the next day's demonstrations. The
people are determined not to let this [supply your epithet]
go forward.

HB

Sorry - I meant the pipeline fromCanadian oil shale down to the Gulf
of Mexico. Horrendous environmental consequences.

If you're talking about the eventual carbon release from the refined oil,
preventing the pipeline will have no effect.

If the current project is scrubbed, a pipeline WILL be built. It will be
built from the oil fields to Vancouver, entirely in Canada and under far
less stringent conditions than U.S. regulations provide. From there, the oil
will be loaded on to tankers and shipped to China where it will be refined
into various petroleum products.

In the end, there will be no less carbon or pollutants released, but the
U.S. will suffer the economic consequences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 6:01*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 05:28:24 -0500, The Daring Dufas

wrote:
On 8/31/2011 6:15 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:05:52 -0700 (PDT), Higgs
wrote:

On Aug 31, 4:04 pm, Higgs *wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:26 am, "

*wrote:
And Jesus mows my lawn.

Hiring illegals, again, huh.

Our oil masters must be a little worried. *They're having the
President arrest quiet, well-behaved legal demonstrators in front of
the White House. *Some big names along with hoi polloi. *As they are
arrested, more come forward for the next day's demonstrations. *The
people are determined not to let this [supply your epithet]
go forward.

HB

Sorry - I meant the pipeline fromCanadian oil shale down to the Gulf
of Mexico. Horrendous environmental consequences.

You *are* a crazy old hag.

Oh come on, I don't agree with HB most of the time but that's a real
nasty thing to call her and it's not right. I cherish my Liberal friends
because they keep me on my toes and alert to what's going on. Attack the
message, not the messenger but it's OK to tease them. :-)

There are leftists who aren't old prune-faced hags. *HB is not one of that
group.

Your check will be in the mail.

Nota Bene: HB is an evidence-based analyst; eschews all labels.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 16:52:47 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

wrote:
On 8/31/2011 6:15 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:05:52 -0700 (PDT), Higgs
wrote:

On Aug 31, 4:04 pm, Higgs *wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:26 am, "

*wrote:
[...]

Your check needs to be from the neck up, old hag.

Nota Bene: HB is an evidence-based analyst; eschews all labels.

What a damned liar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Higgs Boson wrote:

Sorry - I meant the pipeline fromCanadian oil shale down to the Gulf
of Mexico. Horrendous environmental consequences.

I don't think you appreciate the amount of pipelines already in existence.
There are over 55,000 miles of oil transport pipelines in the U.S., whose
diameter range from 8 to 24 inches.

While there are occasional mishaps, maybe one a year (decade? century?),

the
benefits far outweigh the negatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents

A little more than that, although the list includes all types of energy
transport pipelines. They make great targets for saboteurs since it's a lot
easier to destroy a small section of a pipeline and shut all transport down
than it is disable an entire tanker fleet. Now that fracking estimates have
shriveled up significantly, a new pipeline might be necessary.

The very recent crude oil pipeline spill into the Yellowstone River (July 2)
indicates industry is still not very trustworthy. Newspaper reports I
recall reading said the company was not very forthcoming about the metrics
of the spill to the authorities and kept seriously underestimating the size
of the release. Where I have heard that game played before? Oh, BP's Gulf
Adventure.

From above site:

2011 Late on July 2, a 12-inch diameter Exxon Mobil crude oil pipeline
ruptured, and spilled oil into the Yellowstone River in south-central
Montana. Some residents of Laurel, Montana had to be evacuated. The break
near Billings fouled the riverbank and forced municipalities and irrigation
districts to close intakes. As much as 1,000 barrels, or 42,000 gallons, of
oil spilled before the flow through the damaged pipeline was stopped,
officials said. About 140 people were evacuated starting about 12:15 a.m.
Saturday due to concerns about possible explosions and the overpowering
fumes. All were allowed to return after instruments showed petroleum odors
had decreased, although no information was available regarding the
concentrations of benzene in air. Speculation involves high water flow in
the Yellowstone River may have scoured the river bed and exposed the pipe.
Consequently, with three oil refineries are located in the Billings area,
the fire chief for the city of Laurel said he asked all three to turn off
the flow of oil in their pipelines under the river after the leak was
reported. ExxonMobil and Cenex Harvest Refinery did so, and that Conoco
Phillips said its pipe was already shutdown. Cenex had a release into the
Yellowstone River in September 2002.

As the recently released San Bruno Natural Gas Line Disaster report
indicates, there are many, many pipelines that have been in the ground a
long time that are starting to show corrosion and age issues along with
welding defects that were astounding serious. Couple that to all the lost
engineering documents and inspection reports that plague San Bruno and many,
many other jurisdictions and you've got some interesting problems waiting in
the future. Hopefully the new pipeline's designers have reviewed all the
ways existing pipelines have failed and are designing with those failures in
mind.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/2011..._ca/index.html

The NTSB's investigation found that the rupture of Line 132 was caused by
a fracture that originated in the partially welded longitudinal seam of one
of six short pipe sections, which are known in the industry as "pups." The
fabrication of five of the pups in 1956 would not have met generally
accepted industry quality control and welding standards then in effect,
indicating that those standards were either overlooked or ignored. The weld
defect in the failed pup would have been visible when it was installed. The
investigation also determined that a sewer line installation in 2008 near
the rupture did not damage the defective pipe.

The rupture occurred at 6:11 p.m.; almost immediately, the escaping gas from
the ruptured pipe ignited and created an inferno. The first 911 call was
received within seconds. Officers from the San Bruno Police Department
arrived on scene about 6:12 p.m. Firefighters at the San Bruno Fire
Department heard and saw the explosion from their station, which was about
300 yards from the rupture site. Firefighters were on scene about 6:13 p.m.
More than 900 emergency responders from the city of San Bruno and
surrounding jurisdictions executed a coordinated emergency response, which
included defensive operations, search and evacuation, and medical
operations. Once the flow of natural gas was interrupted, firefighting
operations continued for 2 days. Hence, the emergency response by the city
of San Bruno was prompt and appropriate.

However, PG&E took 95 minutes to stop the flow of gas and to isolate the
rupture site - a response time that was excessively long and contributed to
the extent and severity of property damage and increased the
life-threatening risks to the residents and emergency responders.

I found that last bit especially interesting considering the rapid response
rate discussed in the Amerigas/LP propane thread. Apparently you not only
have to get there fast, you also have to know what to do! (-:

--
Bobby G.