Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Water Behind Paneled Wall

I've been in the same house for 21 years now. I had water on the
UN-finished side of my basement for a number of years. At some point
a few years back, I saw that it was leaking in through a small crack
in the wall of the foundation. I chiseled out a 'V', and filled it in
with Hydraulic Cement and it seems to have worked really well.
Hardly any water ever anymore.

Anyway,my house also has a finished side of the basement. It's
finished with knotty pine paneling that's pretty old, and each piece
seems to interlock with each other. Now a days it's what they call
"retro".

After all these years, I finally saw some water on the finished side.
I know about where it came in, but to repair the wall in the same
manner I did on the un-finished side, I'll need to take down the
paneling. By the way, a nice new suspended ceiling is attached to the
paneling, too.

I guess I could cut out a few of the panels in the area where I
suspect the leak, repair the wall of the foundation, then.... then
what?
The panels interlock, and the ceiling is attached on top. I'd have to
cut the panels near the top, remove them, and when I'm done with the
foundation wall, I guess I could build in some kind of lath behind
them to re-attach them.

Helpful input is welcome!

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2011 3:46 PM, Don G. wrote:

[...]

Other alternative is to get a shovel, and dig on the outside, and patch
the crack there. Assuming of course you can narrow down the location.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2011 7:31 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 8/29/2011 3:46 PM, Don G. wrote:

[...]

There are some "tricks" used by fly by night "foundation repair" folks.

One is to dump lots of gypsum where the leaks seem to be coming from.
The gypsum is slightly soluble in the water. If the basement has any
heat, the gypsum will dry on the basement side and plug the leak. It
also helps, of course, to divert water away from the foundation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 3:46*pm, Don G. wrote:
[...]

a interior french drain installer may be able to cut a trench in the
floor, drill into each block cavaity, and install underground drain to
a sump pump.

while your doing this dont overlook the source of the water...

have clogged gutters or a leaking downspout or drain somewhere?
neighbor do something dumb so water is running on your property
causing the wet basement?

investigate why this is a issue after living there so long......
something must of changed