Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WTB - Self taps

Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately 1/8"
hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some
stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets together. Need
about 500 of them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately
1/8"
hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some
stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets together. Need
about 500 of them.

Steve

This sounds like the screws used on Pro Panel roofing. Ace
Hardware in our small town has them, try Ace ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Steve B" wrote in message
Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately
1/8"
hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some
stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets together.
Need
about 500 of them.

Steve

This sounds like the screws used on Pro Panel roofing. Ace
Hardware in our small town has them, try Ace ww

I'm allergic to retail.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2011 7:03 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
. ..

"Steve wrote in message
Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately
1/8"
hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some
stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets together.
Need
about 500 of them.

Steve

This sounds like the screws used on Pro Panel roofing. Ace
Hardware in our small town has them, try Ace ww

I'm allergic to retail.

Steve

They ain't that expensive, even at retail. You would lose money with the
shipping costs for 2-3 boxes. If you can't stomach the Borg, check local
industrial park for a supply house. While most don't encourage civilian
customers, if you have cash and know what you want without hand-holding,
most won't throw you out.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:29:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately 1/8"
hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some
stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets together. Need
about 500 of them.

Did you price them at McMasterCarr.com? I love those guys--
prices are right- shipping aint bad- they've got tons of stuff.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately 1/8"
hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some
stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets together. Need
about 500 of them.

Did you price them at McMasterCarr.com? I love those guys--
prices are right- shipping aint bad- they've got tons of stuff.

Jim

or http://mcfeelys.com?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/22/2011 6:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:

They ain't that expensive, even at retail. You would lose money with the
shipping costs for 2-3 boxes. If you can't stomach the Borg, check local
industrial park for a supply house....

Or Fastenal...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

They ain't that expensive, even at retail. You would lose money with the
shipping costs for 2-3 boxes. If you can't stomach the Borg, check local
industrial park for a supply house. While most don't encourage civilian
customers, if you have cash and know what you want without hand-holding,
most won't throw you out.

The industrial-supply places in my area don't care who you are. Their
business customers typically have accounts with them, but cash and credit
are just fine as well.

Prices are good, and selection/quality is often better than your standard
retail places.

The only real drawback for the DIY user is that these places are often not
open weekends or evenings, since the bulk of their clients are buying for
business use, and shop during business hours.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2011 7:52 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/22/2011 6:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:

They ain't that expensive, even at retail. You would lose money with the
shipping costs for 2-3 boxes. If you can't stomach the Borg, check local
industrial park for a supply house....

Or Fastenal...

--

THAT's the name I was trying to remember! They have one of those here.
Only been in a couple times, since they basically are open the same

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 8/22/2011 6:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:

They ain't that expensive, even at retail. You would lose money with the
shipping costs for 2-3 boxes. If you can't stomach the Borg, check local
industrial park for a supply house....

Or Fastenal...

Fastenal .............. $.17 each by the thousand.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

On 8/22/2011 7:52 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/22/2011 6:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:

They ain't that expensive, even at retail. You would lose money with
the shipping costs for 2-3 boxes. If you can't stomach the Borg,
check local industrial park for a supply house....

Or Fastenal...

THAT's the name I was trying to remember! They have one of those
here. Only been in a couple times, since they basically are open the
same hours I work, and don't really want to sell in less than box
lots, which I seldom need. Their prices for vanilla stuff other than
fasteners (ie, drill bits and stuff) are sometimes higher than the
Borg, but to their main customer base (the factories in the industrial
park) getting the stuff in a hurry and getting back, is more important
than a few bucks.

I find their quality is often better than the retail places.

Like most supply houses, designed for people that
walk in with a detailed list or a sample, not for people that just
walk in with a puzzled look on their face and needing an explanation.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I find the guys that work the counters in
such places are usually much more knowledgeable than the floor staff at
Home Depot. The industrial supply houses tend to have a fraction of the
staff turnover that retail places have, so you're often dealing with guys
that have /lots/ of experience selling what the store sells.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
aemeijers wrote in
:

On 8/22/2011 7:52 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I always ask for a credit app, and fill it in and turn it in. I pay cash,
but if one has an account, I think you get some kind of price break.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2011 10:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
(snip)
I'm not sure I agree with that. I find the guys that work the counters in
such places are usually much more knowledgeable than the floor staff at
Home Depot. The industrial supply houses tend to have a fraction of the
staff turnover that retail places have, so you're often dealing with guys
that have /lots/ of experience selling what the store sells.

That isn't what I meant to imply- I know the guys at the supply houses
are usually very bright. I just meant, that unless you can catch them at
a slow time, like an hour after lunch, they may not have the extra time
to spend with you, because their bread and butter customers need to get
in and out quick. The few times I have been in the local Fastenal (or
the real plumbing or electrical supply places), they only had 3-4 warm
bodies on duty for the whole place. You don't wanna go there first thing
in AM when the parking lot is full of trucks and tradesmen that need to
get their parts and get to jobsite.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WTB - Self taps/redux

I did locate a packet of 250 for $10 on ebay. They are checking if they
have more. With shipping, that makes them about four cents apiece.

Steve

bath taps vs. basin taps Stephen[_12_] UK diy 10 January 12th 11 11:21 PM
0-80 Thread forming taps vs. Cutting taps Bud Metalworking 23 December 9th 09 02:37 PM
Tub Taps jim Home Repair 12 January 24th 08 06:12 PM
The Reason Hot Taps Are On The Left And Cold Taps Are On The Right ARWadsworth UK diy 29 November 1st 07 10:53 AM
Taps F UK diy 9 June 29th 06 10:13 AM