Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lock plate question

I am changing the knobs and locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In m,
Kurt Ullman typed:
I am changing the knobs and locks on the doors of my
house. The metal plate on the door jamb is screwed into
the jamb where you would expect it to be, but then wraps
around to the front of the jamb and is fastened beneath
the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and
probably tearing up) the trim?

If it's built properly and with expected methods, the trim comes off and
goes back on easily is standard OP. Trim applications are always made to
allow removal unless some newbie gets a brain-fart and fills it with so many
nails they can't safely be popped off. A wide pry-bar is usually all that's
needed; abt $10 US. Do some search engine looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:25:08 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I am changing the knobs and locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

Are you sure the plate is "fastened" under the trim? I've never seen
this before. Remove the jamb plate screws and see if you can wiggle
the plate out from under the trim piece.

If it really is fastened under the trim -- I suppose that trim piece
will have to come off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I am changing the knobs and locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

Why would you want to change the strike plate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 11:13*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Kurt Ullman wrote:

I am changing the knobs and *locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

Why would you want to change the strike plate?

You believe all locks have interchangeable strike plates? It might
also just be possible that the OP wants fresh hardware and not an old
scratched and tarnished POS glaring out at him every time he opens the
door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 8:25*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I am changing the knobs and *locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

If the trim is painted you could cut out a section of the trim that's
just big enough to free up the strike, then epoxy it back in place
when you're done.

Like Oren mentioned, I've never seen a strike that was attached on the
face _and_ edge of the jamb. Maybe somebody Rube Goldberged it, but
it might just be that the tongue is stuck under the trim and needs
some coaxing. Also use a magnet to check if there are any nails
holding the trim on right at the strike. If so, use a nail set and
drive them all the way through the trim to reduce clamping pressure on
the strike plate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am changing the knobs and locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

Are you sure the plate is "fastened" under the trim? I've never seen
this before. Remove the jamb plate screws and see if you can wiggle
the plate out from under the trim piece.

Tried that first. That was the reason I came here. But thanks for
the tip, anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I am changing the knobs and locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

Why would you want to change the strike plate?

Going from gold to brass and it would look nasty. Also, another
reason I need to get it out, they don't match to the placement in the
current door knobs.

Plate joiner question G Mulcaster Woodworking 15 February 22nd 11 05:10 PM
Blanking plate for cylinder lock hole? Lobster UK diy 2 December 17th 10 09:36 PM
Lock question r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 8 July 9th 06 02:28 AM
BBQ Plate Question? BIGEYE UK diy 3 February 14th 05 10:46 PM
Door sash lock plate thingy - where? Colin UK diy 3 October 10th 04 10:08 AM