Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Lock plate question

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:25:08 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I am changing the knobs and locks on the doors of my house. The metal
plate on the door jamb is screwed into the jamb where you would expect
it to be, but then wraps around to the front of the jamb and is fastened
beneath the trim piece. The house is 22 y/o and this is original
equipment. Anyway to get that off w/o tearing off (and probably tearing
up) the trim?

Are you sure the plate is "fastened" under the trim? I've never seen
this before. Remove the jamb plate screws and see if you can wiggle
the plate out from under the trim piece.

If it really is fastened under the trim -- I suppose that trim piece
will have to come off.