Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new rubber roof

I have a flat roof, the contractor wants to use 1.5" polyiso foamboard
over the bare wood deck, I know the benefit of added insulation. But
since the foamboard compresses when walked on, wont this ruin the
roofing early in its lfe cycle since as the rubber roof ages and
hardens, walking on it will likely ruin and crack it as the foamboard
compresses? What is the best way to do this. He wants to use US ply
Duraweld APP polyester reinforced roofing. Is this the best roll
roofing you can get?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
I have a flat roof, the contractor wants to use 1.5" polyiso foamboard
over the bare wood deck, I know the benefit of added insulation. But
since the foamboard compresses when walked on, wont this ruin the
roofing early in its lfe cycle since as the rubber roof ages and
hardens, walking on it will likely ruin and crack it as the foamboard
compresses? What is the best way to do this. He wants to use US ply
Duraweld APP polyester reinforced roofing. Is this the best roll
roofing you can get?

Talk to the manufacturer. Their web site says it has minimum 16psi compression
strength, which should support you fine, I would think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2011 10:28 AM, Bob F wrote:
ransley wrote:
I have a flat roof, the contractor wants to use 1.5" polyiso foamboard
over the bare wood deck, I know the benefit of added insulation. But
since the foamboard compresses when walked on, wont this ruin the
roofing early in its lfe cycle since as the rubber roof ages and
hardens, walking on it will likely ruin and crack it as the foamboard
compresses? What is the best way to do this. He wants to use US ply
Duraweld APP polyester reinforced roofing. Is this the best roll
roofing you can get?

Talk to the manufacturer. Their web site says it has minimum 16psi compression
strength, which should support you fine, I would think.

(sorry for the direct reply- still fighting with Tbird 5 repeatedly
sending messages to author rather than the 'group' reply I highlighted.)

Walking gently in soft-sole boots or tennies, you'll be fine. Stomping
in lugged Vibrams or spike heels may be a problem. On commercial roofs,
they sometimes lay out pavers or walk boards on heavily used walking
paths, like from a roof hatch to stuff that needs checking frequently,
but on a residential roof, it should not be an issue.

--
aem sends...