Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default Polishing Aluminium

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would
be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:03:22 +0100, "john thompson"
wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would
be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Angle Grinder.

--

steve auvache
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 18:03:22 +0100, john thompson wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore
it to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt
one would be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to
get it looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that
would do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which
would not damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Not sure how this relates to uk.rec.cars.maintenance...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 18:03:22 +0100, john thompson wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore
it to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt
one would be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to
get it looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that
would do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which
would not damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

I would disassemble the lamp then use paint remover. Then use a good
aluminum cleaner. The original finish on the aluminum should restore as
was. This: http://goo.gl/nzm2t or similar product.

--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Posted to alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

posted to alt.home.repair & 24hshd, f/ups to 24hshd

john thompson wrote:
Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would
be just fine; and probably easier.

I've heard that aircraft paint stripper does a great job - found in auto
parts stores and WalMart. Lots and lots of airplanes are made of
aluminum and need to have paint removed without damaging the aluminum

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

If you blast or grind off the anodized aluminum, the surface will be
changed.

--
Mike Easter

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore
it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one
would
be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to
get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that
would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would
not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Strip the paint off with paint stripper,then clean the mess off with fine
abrasive fleece, and polish it with a mop on a drill. you can get fleece &
mops to mount on a pigtail fairly cheaply, e.g.
www.thepolishingshop.co.uk

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/ac...ing_Guide.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:03:22 +0100, john thompson wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would
be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

For sandblasting, use walnut shells media.
http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm

This is what the guys on the History channel show "restoration" use.
If it is really thin material, then use a stripper made for aluminum.

For that project, take it to a pro shop and let them do it.
By the time you purchased a sandblaster, the materials, and learn how to
use it properly, they'd have it all done and probably cost less.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"richard" wrote in message
[...]

Not suggesting you do this as I dont know how dear this lamp is to you,
however when I got back into biking about 10 years ago I couldnt afford all
the cleaning gear to polish aluminium, so.... I made a thick disc out of
cardboard, got some of that aluminium cleaner paste (cant remember the name)
and used my electric drill at slowish speeds, it worked til I could afford
the mops and stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

In article ,
"john thompson" wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would
be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Somewhere in the industrial part of town is a guy with a blast cabinet
who will do this for $10, plus two cold beers. It will take about 5
minutes. The most difficult part of the job for you will be to find that
guy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Chris Whelan wrote:

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 18:03:22 +0100, john thompson wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has
been sprayed black. The black paint is bubbling off in places
and we wish to restore it to a nice aluminium finish. Not
neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would be just fine; and
probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big
job to get it looking good, especially around the detailed
parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster'
that would do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper,
either of which would not damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Not sure how this relates to uk.rec.cars.maintenance...

Really?

Your cars have no aluminum bits that may be in need of having paint
removed? If it's not strictly car related, GTFO?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

john thompson wrote:
Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been
sprayed black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish
to restore it to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny
finish, a matt one would be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to
get it looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that
would do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of
which would not damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Paint remover

Fire

Wire brush

Flap (finger) wheel

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 18:03:22 +0100, john thompson wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore
it to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt
one would be just fine; and probably easier.

Aw, I gotta reccomend
http://www.parko-polishes.com/gloss_guide.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 08/02/2011 01:26 PM, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 18:03:22 +0100, john thompson wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore
it to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt
one would be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to
get it looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that
would do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which
would not damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Not sure how this relates to uk.rec.cars.maintenance...

Chris

well, polishing aluminum is something that many auto enthusiasts are
familiar with...

sand blasting will not result in a polished finish. neither will
abrasives, although using a scotchbrite pad will result in an attractive
brushed finish.

For polishing, nothing beats power tools, but if there's any corrosion
that will need to be sanded smooth first. I've had good luck with Wenol
polish. Once upon a time I sanded smooth and polished two old Ansen
Sprint mags with Wenol... by hand... (because I had two polished and two
machined) they looked (still do) great but I'll never do that again.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

john thompson wrote:

Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one
would be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get
it looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Take it to a place that does vaporblasting, you will be prating about for
ages trying to get all the paint off.
and the link below is very much on topic for a car/motorcycle group.

http://www.aquablasting.co.uk/

-

Posted to alt.home.repair

"john thompson" wrote:
Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would
be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

If it's free of scratches, well maybe just some scotchbright if it needs
it. You could try an acid etch, with navel jelly or aluminum jelly. If that
does not work, sandblast.
I have done light sandpapering cross hatch on flat panels. Use soap and
water.

Greg

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

john thompson wrote:
Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been
sprayed black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish
to restore it to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny
finish, a matt one would be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to
get it looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that
would do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of
which would not damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Have to do this every day - (Aircraft engineer)

1. Remove paint. (paint stripper)
2. Remove worst of corrosion mechanically. (wet n dry and gentle fine wire
brush. NOT a brass one)
3. Kill corrosion - use Phosphoric acid (Jenolite). Wet for 5 min then wash
off with water. Dry thoroughly.
4. If you are going to paint it you can prep surface with something like
Alodine - it's a bit like anodising. (Not sure of how to get that other than
commercially)
5. Polish or repaint. If painting use "Self Etching Primer" for first coat.
6. For polishing Google "polishing aluminium".

Good Luck
Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 8/2/2011 2:16 PM, richard wrote:
[...]

Ding! We have a winner! For a one-time requirement, it isn't worth it to
buy the tools and supplies to do it yourself. Most every town has a
metal-finishing job shop with all the needed hot tanks, nasty chemicals,
media blasters, etc. And most importantly, the expertise to do it right
the first time, without trashing the item. And they can even spray it in
a nice clear sealer for you so it stays pretty for several years.

--
aem sends...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

Sla#s wrote:
john thompson wrote:
[...]

On alumimium?

Surely not!

4. If you are going to paint it you can prep surface with something like
Alodine - it's a bit like anodising. (Not sure of how to get that other than
commercially)
5. Polish or repaint. If painting use "Self Etching Primer" for first coat.
6. For polishing Google "polishing aluminium".

Good Luck
Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 8/2/2011 12:03 PM, john thompson wrote:
Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been sprayed
black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish to restore it
to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny finish, a matt one would
be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to get it
looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

find a shop that blasts with walnut or pecan shells. I think you'll be
very happy with the results.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 3/08/2011 9:57 AM, aemeijers wrote:

For sandblasting, use walnut shells media.
http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm

This is what the guys on the History channel show "restoration" use.
If it is really thin material, then use a stripper made for aluminum.

For that project, take it to a pro shop and let them do it.
By the time you purchased a sandblaster, the materials, and learn how to
use it properly, they'd have it all done and probably cost less.

The important bit is not the scratch the surface as its too hard to
remove the scratches by buffing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"john thompson" wrote:

[...]

Any decent sized car body shop would have a cabinet for blasting. And vapour
blasting is best for ali as it doesn't damage the metal at all. Either that
ot baking soda.

--
Beav

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

In article , Steve Barker
says...

On 8/2/2011 12:03 PM, john thompson wrote:

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that would
do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of which would not
damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

find a shop that blasts with walnut or pecan shells. I think you'll be
very happy with the results.

Providing the OP doesn't have one of these modern, trendy 'nut
allergies' of course.

--

Pip: Keeper of the Cable Ties
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Sla#s wrote:
john thompson wrote:
[...]

What do you think aluminum or navel jelly is?

Used to do my aluminum mag wheels all the time.

Greg

4. If you are going to paint it you can prep surface with something like
Alodine - it's a bit like anodising. (Not sure of how to get that
other than commercially)

5. Polish or repaint. If painting use "Self Etching Primer" for first coat.
6. For polishing Google "polishing aluminium".
Good Luck

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 03/08/2011 13:19, Rob wrote:
On 3/08/2011 9:57 AM, aemeijers wrote:

For sandblasting, use walnut shells media.
http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm

This is what the guys on the History channel show "restoration" use.
If it is really thin material, then use a stripper made for aluminum.

For that project, take it to a pro shop and let them do it.
By the time you purchased a sandblaster, the materials, and learn how to
use it properly, they'd have it all done and probably cost less.

The important bit is not the scratch the surface as its too hard to
remove the scratches by buffing.

The alternative way is to use a (I think it's called) a honing tool
across the scratch.

It works by pushing the aluminium back across the scratch. Basically, it
is a polished steel wire formed into a closed loop ring, mounted into a
file handle.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Dave wrote:

On 03/08/2011 13:19, Rob wrote:
On 3/08/2011 9:57 AM, aemeijers wrote:

For sandblasting, use walnut shells media.
http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm

This is what the guys on the History channel show "restoration" use.
If it is really thin material, then use a stripper made for aluminum.

For that project, take it to a pro shop and let them do it.
By the time you purchased a sandblaster, the materials, and learn how to
use it properly, they'd have it all done and probably cost less.

The important bit is not the scratch the surface as its too hard to
remove the scratches by buffing.

The alternative way is to use a (I think it's called) a honing tool
across the scratch.

It works by pushing the aluminium back across the scratch. Basically, it
is a polished steel wire formed into a closed loop ring, mounted into a
file handle.

I suspect you mean burnishing rather than honing but someone will
probably tell me I'm a **** and disagree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Beav" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"john thompson" wrote:

[...]

I had a panel sandblasted and it looked fine. I wanted a frosted look. If
you can get it shiny, acid will etch it with a very fine finish. If it's
fairly thick you ca always start from scratch, if you don't like what comes
out.

Greg
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

drugs began to take hold. I remember "john thompson"
saying something like:

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.

Soda blast it (google it).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"Andy B" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

On 03/08/2011 13:19, Rob wrote:
[...]

Seeing as you're correct, I doubt it. I'd still vapour blast (or simply use
Nirtomors) to get the paint off and then go at it with either a set of mops
and compounds if I wanted a ****e and briny finish, or go at it with a grey
ScotchBrite pad (not with a power tool) for the "brushed ali" look.

Grey, not red as that scratches too much. See "Angle Ginder" thread :-)

--
Beav

Polishing silestone Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names Home Repair 3 May 4th 12 01:26 PM
Polishing Aluminium john thompson UK diy 31 August 5th 11 04:20 PM
Polishing Woodborg Woodturning 3 November 5th 05 05:09 AM
Marble polishing, how to do it? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 18th 04 01:46 PM
Polishing marble [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 18th 04 07:07 AM