Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Polishing Aluminium

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Sla#s wrote:
john thompson wrote:
Have a fifty year old or so aluminium lamp housing that has been
sprayed black. The black paint is bubbling off in places and we wish
to restore it to a nice aluminium finish. Not neccesarily a shiny
finish, a matt one would be just fine; and probably easier.

Using wet and dry carborundum paper is going to be quite a big job to
get it looking good, especially around the detailed parts of it.

Is it possible to buy a small fairly inexpensive 'sand blaster' that
would do the job? Or even some kind of paint stripper, either of
which would not damage the aluminium surface?

Grateful for advice on how you might tackle this job.
Have to do this every day - (Aircraft engineer)
1. Remove paint. (paint stripper)

2. Remove worst of corrosion mechanically. (wet n dry and gentle fine
wire brush. NOT a brass one)
3. Kill corrosion - use Phosphoric acid (Jenolite). Wet for 5 min then
wash off with water. Dry thoroughly.

On alumimium?

Surely not!

What do you think aluminum or navel jelly is?

Used to do my aluminum mag wheels all the time.

Greg

4. If you are going to paint it you can prep surface with something like
Alodine - it's a bit like anodising. (Not sure of how to get that
other than commercially)

5. Polish or repaint. If painting use "Self Etching Primer" for first coat.
6. For polishing Google "polishing aluminium".
Good Luck

Slatts