Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcycles,alt.home.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Beav Beav is offline

Default Polishing Aluminium

"Andy B" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

On 03/08/2011 13:19, Rob wrote:
On 3/08/2011 9:57 AM, aemeijers wrote:

For sandblasting, use walnut shells media.
http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm

This is what the guys on the History channel show "restoration" use.
If it is really thin material, then use a stripper made for aluminum.

For that project, take it to a pro shop and let them do it.
By the time you purchased a sandblaster, the materials, and learn how
use it properly, they'd have it all done and probably cost less.

The important bit is not the scratch the surface as its too hard to
remove the scratches by buffing.

The alternative way is to use a (I think it's called) a honing tool
across the scratch.

It works by pushing the aluminium back across the scratch. Basically, it
is a polished steel wire formed into a closed loop ring, mounted into a
file handle.

I suspect you mean burnishing rather than honing but someone will
probably tell me I'm a **** and disagree.

Seeing as you're correct, I doubt it. I'd still vapour blast (or simply use
Nirtomors) to get the paint off and then go at it with either a set of mops
and compounds if I wanted a ****e and briny finish, or go at it with a grey
ScotchBrite pad (not with a power tool) for the "brushed ali" look.

Grey, not red as that scratches too much. See "Angle Ginder" thread :-)

--
Beav