Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hamilton Beach Blender -jammed switches

My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on
because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on
my shelf unused for several years.

Since no parts are available,
I want to disassemble the case to try to free those switches.
I do not know the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two
plastic case parts.

Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Dave_s
Posted to alt.home.repair

A little more info about disassembling the plastic case parts.

Removing the rubber feet, I can insert a 3 1/2 tool inside the blender
case. At bottom of the 3 1/2 deep hole, I expected to see a slotted or
philips screw or an allen wrench opening. Did not see either instead saw
a flat surface. Tried pushing on the flat surface while trying to
loosen the case. Pressing did not help loosen the case.

Still cannot quite understand how to part the 2 case halves.
Still can use hints, thanks, Dave_s

8/1/2011 7:32 AM, Dave_s wrote:
My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on
because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on
my shelf unused for several years.

Since no parts are available,
I want to disassemble the case to try to free those switches.
I do not know the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two
plastic case parts.

Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Dave_s

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/1/2011 2:25 PM, Dave_s wrote:
A little more info about disassembling the plastic case parts.

Still cannot quite understand how to part the 2 case halves.
Still can use hints, thanks, Dave_s

Something like this unless you just happen to find somebody who has the
identical unit is the place where posting photo on one of the hosting
sites is going to be invaluable...

Or at least if you can find a parts diagram that _might_ help...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Hello dpb,

Terrific idea and I do thank you.

Can you suggest a hosting site or two?
I'll prepare my material.
Dave_s

Posted to alt.home.repair

On FLICKR web site the pictures of my blender can be seen at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4749088...ted=5777385870

Thanks for any help.

Dave_s

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave_s wrote the following:
My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on
because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on
my shelf unused for several years.

Jammed because they will not move? Perhaps something was spilled on the
buttons and they are sticky? My usual remedy would be to flush the
buttons with hot water and set the mixer outside to dry in the sun. That
what I do with computer keyboards at work.

Since no parts are available,
I want to disassemble the case to try to free those switches.
I do not know the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two
plastic case parts.

Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Dave_s

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 7:32*am, Dave_s wrote:
My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on
because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on
my shelf unused for several years.

Since no parts are available,
I want to disassemble *the case to try to free those switches.
I do not know *the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two
plastic case parts.

Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Dave_s

I used to have one of these (actually a couple) but I finally gave
them away YEARS ago.

ebay 160628718574

My recollection is that unit operated by pushing down any single
button at a time.
The unit was turned off by pushing the off button.

The problem happens if more than one button was pushed at a time.

Give this a try.....gently pry off all the plastic buttons to expose
the metal switch posts.

Gently grip each post in turn and pull up on it sightly. Each time you
pull up on a post, gently push down on the "off button" post.

If you continue to work the switch posts,
I believe you will be able to return the switch to its "normal" state;
all posts up & the "off button" post down.

My recollection is that the switch can be teased back to working
without taking the case apart.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 10:32*am, Dave_s wrote:
My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on
because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on
my shelf unused for several years.

Since no parts are available,
I want to disassemble *the case to try to free those switches.
I do not know *the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two
plastic case parts.

Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Dave_s

Try buying a can of electronic contact cleaner at your local home
center and spay the push-buttons.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill,

My recollection is that unit operated by pushing down any single
button at a time.
The unit was turned off by pushing the off button.

The problem happens if more than one button was pushed at a time.

Once pushed down, unless wiggled vigorously it prefers to stay down
even though while trying stop is pushed. Side to side alignment is
really critical to help button rise up again.

Give this a try.....gently pry off all the plastic buttons to expose
the metal switch posts.

Cannot remove any white plastic buttons.
Tried prying, no success.

Regards, dave_s
Gently grip each post in turn and pull up on it sightly. Each time you
pull up on a post, gently push down on the "off button" post.

If you continue to work the switch posts,
I believe you will be able to return the switch to its "normal" state;
all posts up& the "off button" post down.

My recollection is that the switch can be teased back to working
without taking the case apart.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds about as effective as a Dilbert / Wally style
chair massage.

The OP could pull the buttons off (if they pull) and spray
the cleaner into the switch, which might help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank from Deeeetroit"
wrote in message

Try buying a can of electronic contact cleaner at your local
home
center and spay the push-buttons.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 10:32*am, Dave_s wrote:
My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on
because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on
my shelf unused for several years.

Since no parts are available,
I want to disassemble *the case to try to free those switches.
I do not know *the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two
plastic case parts.

Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Dave_s

A can of electronic contact cleaner should free up your switches.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:01:41 -0700, Dave_s wrote:
Once pushed down, unless wiggled vigorously it prefers to stay down
even though while trying stop is pushed. Side to side alignment is
really critical to help button rise up again.

I suspect it's either gummed up or there's a return spring for the
latching mechanism which has broken / come loose (or the mechanism is
simply worn, but these kind of switch setups normally take a *lot* of use
before that happens). Either way, you're better off finding a way inside
the thing.

Looking at the photos, some other possibilities for access are screws
hidden under the black covering around the switches (it's possible this
was stuck down after factory assembly and test), or somehow via the white
bezel below the jug (if this unscrews or unclips somehow).

Can't you get a flashlight in to see if there are fixings normally hidden
by the feet (Or use a digital camera in macro mode)?

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 1, 2011 10:32:35 AM UTC-4, Dave_s wrote:
My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on my shelf unused for several years.Since no parts are available, I want to disassemble the case to try to free those switches. I do not know the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two plastic case parts.Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.Thanks for any helpful hints.Dave_s

Hey Dave,

although an old post , I have A HB mopdel 748, bascially same unit with same knid of switch and smae problem. the four screws shown in th pic will separate the case. The switch comes out by lifting silk screen over buttons, there will be a screw at each end by screws
Chuck B