Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT... Gold

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 3:45*am, harry wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? *If you do, what do you do with the
readies? *($).

Buy houses?

all bubbles burst.

as to gold if the world economy continues its downward implosion, with
congress helping here the bottom may drop out of everything.

people will still need to eat

its sad watching our congress play games while they can crash the
worlds economy.

every congressman should turn in their resignation for playing these
games
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy gold options to sell them short in 2 years. Catch it on the up and
down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

every congressman should turn in their resignation for playing these
games

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2011 6:50 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 20, 3:45 am, wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

all bubbles burst.

as to gold if the world economy continues its downward implosion, with
congress helping here the bottom may drop out of everything.

people will still need to eat

its sad watching our congress play games while they can crash the
worlds economy.

Why would that be? Aside from the drama everything I read says the
government can spend what it could before it just can't spend more.

Simple analogy. You and your family decide to have a budget and you
agree to never borrow more than say $20,000/year (the "debt ceiling").
So now this year one of your family members wants to go on an
extravagant vacation which would require that you borrow an additional
$5,000. If you adhere to your originally agreed borrowing limit you can
still feed and clothe yourselves and go on as usual only no extravagant
vacation.

And if you were sensible and you really wanted to go on the extravagant
vacation you might decide for example that you really don't need that
new car

every congressman should turn in their resignation for playing these
games

Why? Some of us explicitly fired out old Congressmen because we were
tired of out of control spending.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 3:45*am, harry wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? *If you do, what do you do with the
readies? *($).

Buy houses?

I suggest buying silver coins. You can buy old U.S. real silver coins
at a local coin dealer in bulk. Very useful for buying food and
supplies when paper money is worthless, as happened in Germany after
WWI and Zimbabwe more recently. Or you can buy bullion coins, e.g.,
American Eagles or Canadian Maple Leaves, or silver ingots.

If you like, you can buy gold coins as an investment or buy shares of
GLD.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

On Jul 20, 3:45 am, wrote:
[...]

Things are starting to cost more and more. It's called inflation, and
you will be experiencing more, soon.

As far as out of control spending, every congresscritter will want to
bring home more funds for his/her constituents. As long as there is no
limit on that, why should Medicaid (example) recipients suffer? Let the
congresscritters first spend less on themselves and their staffs.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 3:45*am, harry wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? *If you do, what do you do with the
readies? *($).

Buy houses?

I have some. I'm keeping but not buying.
Many years ago, when I gave my wife a gold coin as an anniversary
gift, I watched the price languish and even go down for many years.
It may go higher but with the current rapid rise, you'd be taking a
chance that you are on a roller coaster.

As for real estate, they are saying it might take a decade to
recover. I don't think I'd invest in it.

I would say, if you need/want something, you might as well buy it now
as the potential for hyper inflation is there. It has been absolutely
outrageous viewing the inflation rate that the US government gives
out.
In the index they include housing but not commodities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

In the immediate future, buy silver
It has recently dropped in price far more than it should have.
As to the longer term.
Land, particularly farmland is now appreciating like crazy.

A property 10-50 acres of arable land is still relatively cheap to buy and
gives you the added benefit that you can probably grow enough to feed your
family, if the crunch ever gets really bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 2:45*am, harry wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? *If you do, what do you do with the
readies? *($).

Buy houses?

I've heard some folks are going to the bank and buying rolls and rolls
of nickels. I'm not sure why that would be a good thing to do but it
is going on.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

"D.A. Tsenuf" wrote in message
.. .
"harry" wrote in message
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

In the immediate future, buy silver
It has recently dropped in price far more than it should have.
As to the longer term.
Land, particularly farmland is now appreciating like crazy.

A property 10-50 acres of arable land is still relatively cheap to buy and
gives you the added benefit that you can probably grow enough to feed your
family, if the crunch ever gets really bad.

IF water rights are available. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 11:38*am, Country wrote:
On Jul 20, 2:45*am, harry wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? *If you do, what do you do with the
readies? *($).

Buy houses?

I've heard some folks are going to the bank and buying rolls and rolls
of nickels. I'm not sure why that would be a good thing to do but it
is going on.

-C-

From Wikipedia: As of 10 April 2011, the value of metal in a nickel is
approximately 7.1 cents at current spot prices for constituent metals,
a 40%+ premium over face value.

It is illegal to melt or export nickles but in case of a paper money
crash, the metal will have some value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message ...

Simple analogy. You and your family decide to have a budget and you agree
to never borrow more than say $20,000/year (the "debt ceiling"). So now
this year one of your family members wants to go on an extravagant
vacation which would require that you borrow an additional $5,000. If you
adhere to your originally agreed borrowing limit you can still feed and
clothe yourselves and go on as usual only no extravagant vacation.

What that overlooks is that this allegorical family is already deep in debt
and if they don't make their mortgage payments the bank is going to
foreclose on their house and they'll be on the street, in other words not
paying money they already owe is not an option. So aside from cutting
spending wherever reasonable they also need to bring in more money if they
are ever going to get out of debt. For the family that means somebody might
need to get a part-time job, for Congress it means they need to increase tax
revenues if only by closing loopholes that some very well off folks (and
companies) use to avoid paying taxes.

Nobody likes the idea of paying more taxes, but the national debt is not
going to be paid down just with spending cuts (although clearly deep cuts
are needed). When Ronald Reagan became Governor of California he moved to
correct the state's finances in two ways--cutting spending *and* increasing
tax revenues. It is striking that today's Republicans refuse to consider
the second half of that formula.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't touch gold (or silver) with a three meter stick.
Yes, they may go up more but they appear poised for a very large correction
(both short and long term) and unless you are an experienced AND successful
day trader you would likely get beaten to pieces. I'm talking about
commodity markets here, not physical ownership. I wouldn't even buy the
metal now to hold.

Never have understood why people buy would buy a mutual fund (or heck
even bars of gold) if the underlying premise is financial armageddon. If
things collapse, what makes you think you are going to be able to
convert a paper (allegedly) backed by gold into actual gold? Actually
the same with bars since you will have to do something to break them
down into usable amounts (Hey, Bob, you got change for a ingot?). The
only thing to actually own for the financial end times would be to own
coins or small (maybe ounce) ingots.

IMO, real estate is the bargain of the century. HUGE buyer's market and low
interest rates. Yes, prices may go lower and yes, it may take a few years
to really recover but it WILL recover and during the waiting period one can
at least get the benefit of rental income, tax benefits, etc. You can't get
any income or benefits from metal.

I am not as sanguine on the return of the market. The demographics
were arguing against a long-term bull market in real estate and all the
collapse did was hasten the demise. There would have been a big overhang
of housing develop over the next few years anyway as the Boomers began
to downsize and/or die out. The follow-on generations just aren't big
enough to soak up all of the housing the Boomers demanded. This is
obviously exacerbated by the excess supply brought about by people
getting into homes that wouldn't have in teh past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

Nobody likes the idea of paying more taxes, but the national debt is not
going to be paid down just with spending cuts (although clearly deep cuts
are needed). When Ronald Reagan became Governor of California he moved to
correct the state's finances in two ways--cutting spending *and* increasing
tax revenues. It is striking that today's Republicans refuse to consider
the second half of that formula.

Not at all. Under Bush 41 and RR, the Dems in Congress got their tax
increase but, if you look at the actual figures, there was no
year-over-year decrease in the growth in spending let alone a decrease
in actual spending. (at least according to the Stat Abstract). Fool me
once shame on you... or maybe the proper response is Whoian-- "won't get
fooled again."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 9:18*am, George wrote:
Simple analogy. You and your family decide to have a budget and you
agree to never borrow more than say $20,000/year (the "debt ceiling").
So now this year one of your family members wants to go on an
extravagant vacation which would require that you borrow an additional
$5,000. If you adhere to your originally agreed borrowing limit you can
still feed and clothe yourselves and go on as usual only no extravagant
vacation.

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated. Our "family" (the U.S.
Govt.) has already borrowed that $20,000 and spent it. Now the credit
card bills are coming due and the only way to pay them (as we've done
for a long time) is to borrow MORE money.

In the end, the debt ceiling will be raised a little (at least
temporarily), taxes will probably be raised a bit and spending will be
cut a bit, and everyone will get to claim that they helped avert the
meltdown that the other party almost caused.

And the person who suggested that politicians shouldn't play games
with the future of the country must be new to the planet...
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote the following:
On Jul 20, 3:45 am, harry wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

all bubbles burst.

as to gold if the world economy continues its downward implosion, with
congress helping here the bottom may drop out of everything.

people will still need to eat

its sad watching our congress play games while they can crash the
worlds economy.

every congressman should turn in their resignation for playing these
games

Gold is currently $1602.40 (US) per ounce. An all time high.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:45:28 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

Gold hit $1600 per ounce in the last week. Given that, selling one
ounce would buy you two excellent quality firearms. Or one gun and
light / laser beam light attachment.

Call it an investment.

For buying land, be sure to get all improvements (power, water, etc.).
A house on the land is great.

Guns are an investment. " They don't make any more land." As my bride
reminds me.

All I know is when the dollar goes down then gold goes up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

Nobody likes the idea of paying more taxes, but the national debt is not
going to be paid down just with spending cuts (although clearly deep cuts
are needed). When Ronald Reagan became Governor of California he moved
correct the state's finances in two ways--cutting spending *and*
increasing
tax revenues. It is striking that today's Republicans refuse to consider
the second half of that formula.

Not at all.

So various leaders of the Republican Party saying over and over that tax
increases are just not on the table doesn't count as them refusing to
consider increases in revenue as Gov. Reagan did?

Under Bush 41 and RR, the Dems in Congress got their tax
increase but, if you look at the actual figures, there was no
year-over-year decrease in the growth in spending let alone a decrease
in actual spending.

Maybe because the budgets proposed by Reagan involved massive spending
increases (Reagan's budgets grew by almost $400 billion a year over his
presidency). I know, you want to blame this on the Dems in Congress. But
as I said before, if you can demonstrate that the spending authorized by
Congress was consistently much greater than the spending requested by the
Reagan White House, cool, I'd love to see the documentation for that.
Congress did spend more than Reagan requested in seven of his eight years in
the White House, but the average over his two terms was about two point
eight percent and it is not credible that the national debt tripled during
the Reagan administration because the Dems in Congress outspent the White
House by less than three percent. Apparently Reagan was really bothered by
deficit spending, it went against his grain. But guess what, he did it
anyway, and his budgets get laid at his door, not that of Congress.

(at least according to the Stat Abstract). Fool me
once shame on you... or maybe the proper response is Whoian-- "won't get
fooled again."

As I thought I made clear, both spending cuts and increases in revenue will
be needed to pay down the debt. Since the Repubs can block spending in the
House if the Dems try to sneak through increases or even try to maintain
current levels, refusing to increase the debt ceiling (as they did
repeatedly during the Bush administration) looks more like political theatre
than anything else. Cantor and his crew just killed a four trillion dollar
cut which Boehner apparently was happy with. Of course a default will mess
up the economy so much that increasing the debt ceiling will seem mild in
comparison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

Gold hit $1600 per ounce in the last week. Given that, selling one
ounce would buy you two excellent quality firearms. Or one gun and
light / laser beam light attachment.

Call it an investment.

For buying land, be sure to get all improvements (power, water, etc.).
A house on the land is great.

Guns are an investment. " They don't make any more land." As my bride
reminds me.

Bet you have a closet full of duct tape & visqueen too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Country" wrote in message

I've heard some folks are going to the bank and buying rolls and rolls
of nickels. I'm not sure why that would be a good thing to do but it
is going on.

In most places it is illegal to carry a knuckleduster or
similar weapon, but perfectly OK to carry a roll of nickels
(or two, one for each fist.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message

"D.A. Tsenuf" wrote in message
.. .
"harry" wrote in message
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

In the immediate future, buy silver
It has recently dropped in price far more than it should have.
As to the longer term.
Land, particularly farmland is now appreciating like crazy.

A property 10-50 acres of arable land is still relatively cheap to buy
and gives you the added benefit that you can probably grow enough to feed
your family, if the crunch ever gets really bad.

IF water rights are available. ww

If there is a crunch, water rights as the currently exist in the west will
be moot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:15:36 -0400, "David1950"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

Gold hit $1600 per ounce in the last week. Given that, selling one
ounce would buy you two excellent quality firearms. Or one gun and
light / laser beam light attachment.

Call it an investment.

For buying land, be sure to get all improvements (power, water, etc.).
A house on the land is great.

Guns are an investment. " They don't make any more land." As my bride
reminds me.

Bet you have a closet full of duct tape & visqueen too!

Correct! Except...

In my locality I have no need for "visqueen".

Don't insult duct tape, please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 3:45 am, wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

all bubbles burst.

as to gold if the world economy continues its downward implosion, with
congress helping here the bottom may drop out of everything.

people will still need to eat

its sad watching our congress play games while they can crash the
worlds economy.

Why would that be? Aside from the drama everything I read says the
government can spend what it could before it just can't spend more.

No, it can only spend 60% of what it spent before. Currently, they're
spending $1.75 for every $1.00 brought in. After their credit card gets cut
up they can only spend $1.00. There is still enough to pay the interest on
the card and SS, and some, but somethings can't be paid. A lot of those
things shouldn't be anyway, but that's a different discussion.

Simple analogy. You and your family decide to have a budget and you
agree to never borrow more than say $20,000/year (the "debt ceiling").

No, the "debt ceiling" would be like you only have a $20,000 credit card
maximum. *NOT* $20,000 per year. You've just spent $19,995 and have only
have $5 more to borrow, and you have an order in the mail that'll be here in
August.

So now this year one of your family members wants to go on an
extravagant vacation which would require that you borrow an additional
$5,000. If you adhere to your originally agreed borrowing limit you can
still feed and clothe yourselves and go on as usual only no extravagant
vacation.

No.

And if you were sensible and you really wanted to go on the extravagant
vacation you might decide for example that you really don't need that
new car

every congressman should turn in their resignation for playing these
games

Why? Some of us explicitly fired out old Congressmen because we were
tired of out of control spending.

Yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:34:31 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On Jul 20, 9:18*am, George wrote:
Simple analogy. You and your family decide to have a budget and you
agree to never borrow more than say $20,000/year (the "debt ceiling").
So now this year one of your family members wants to go on an
extravagant vacation which would require that you borrow an additional
$5,000. If you adhere to your originally agreed borrowing limit you can
still feed and clothe yourselves and go on as usual only no extravagant
vacation.

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated. Our "family" (the U.S.
Govt.) has already borrowed that $20,000 and spent it. Now the credit
card bills are coming due and the only way to pay them (as we've done
for a long time) is to borrow MORE money.

Not true. There is money to pay the minimum. It requires that we don't hire
another baby sitter, though.

In the end, the debt ceiling will be raised a little (at least
temporarily), taxes will probably be raised a bit and spending will be
cut a bit, and everyone will get to claim that they helped avert the
meltdown that the other party almost caused.

....and the economy will degrade further.

And the person who suggested that politicians shouldn't play games
with the future of the country must be new to the planet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 06:46:46 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:

On Jul 20, 3:45*am, harry wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? *If you do, what do you do with the
readies? *($).

Buy houses?

I suggest buying silver coins. You can buy old U.S. real silver coins
at a local coin dealer in bulk. Very useful for buying food and
supplies when paper money is worthless, as happened in Germany after
WWI and Zimbabwe more recently. Or you can buy bullion coins, e.g.,
American Eagles or Canadian Maple Leaves, or silver ingots.

If you like, you can buy gold coins as an investment or buy shares of
GLD.

A better plan is to buy food now. Bullets and guns are also good investments.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:31:20 GMT, Red Green wrote:

harry wrote in news:4feaebad-b049-4be0-9e62-
:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

I have two cats. Probably not good for investment purposes. Just came from
vet. -$77.

Cats, probably not. Perhaps a whorehouse? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 2:45*am, harry wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? *If you do, what do you do with the
readies? *($).

Buy houses?

I've heard some folks are going to the bank and buying rolls and rolls
of nickels. I'm not sure why that would be a good thing to do but it
is going on.

-C-

From Wikipedia: As of 10 April 2011, the value of metal in a nickel is
approximately 7.1 cents at current spot prices for constituent metals,
a 40%+ premium over face value.

It is illegal to melt or export nickles but in case of a paper money
crash, the metal will have some value.

Surely "nickels" aren't actually made of nickel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 6:03*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

Ask yourself what sort of ROI you could get on real estate then ask yourself
what would give you a better one.

For rental maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

Gold is a touch stone with reality, supposed to indicate the true
value of things. Sometimes it takes a while to get back touch,
sometimes it's a bit to high, sometimes to low.
Gold is taxed as a collectible by the IRS, silver isn't.
So you take the world's situation, it's not the just the USofA that is
having problems and ya puts ur nickel down and youse takes ur chances.
Me? I'm shorting fixed income (bonds and treasures) shorting the
bubbles pays off better than a broken slot machine....
And a bag or two of junk silver, the used to be door stops that will
buy a new car now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 2:45 am, harry wrote:

Now both of our economies are going to hell on a handcart is now the
time to buy gold or is it too late?
If you have any, do you sell? If you do, what do you do with the
readies? ($).

Buy houses?

I've heard some folks are going to the bank and buying rolls and rolls
of nickels. I'm not sure why that would be a good thing to do but it
is going on.

-C-

From Wikipedia: As of 10 April 2011, the value of metal in a nickel is
approximately 7.1 cents at current spot prices for constituent metals,
a 40%+ premium over face value.

It is illegal to melt or export nickles but in case of a paper money
crash, the metal will have some value.

Surely "nickels" aren't actually made of nickel?

25% nickel, 75% copper.- Hide quoted text -

Most of our coins have a steel core these days.