Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Paint Peeling Questions

hello,

We are getting to the point where our house needs to be re-painted.
Have a latex paint on house now; about 10 years old since last paint job.

There is "meaningful" paint peeling in spots, and am wondering how well
the adhesion is in general.

Am I right in that any new paint will never actually see the wood
siding, and merely adheres to the old paint ?

So, if there is subsequent peeling of the old paint from the wood, the
new paint will go along for the ride, and peel also ?

How are situations like this handled ?

If we get a good house washing (pressure wash ?) is this likely to cause
even more peeling problems ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob
wrote:

hello,

We are getting to the point where our house needs to be re-painted.
Have a latex paint on house now; about 10 years old since last paint job.

There is "meaningful" paint peeling in spots, and am wondering how well
the adhesion is in general.

Am I right in that any new paint will never actually see the wood
siding, and merely adheres to the old paint ?

So, if there is subsequent peeling of the old paint from the wood, the
new paint will go along for the ride, and peel also ?

How are situations like this handled ?

If we get a good house washing (pressure wash ?) is this likely to cause
even more peeling problems ?

Thanks,
Bob

Prior to painting, all loose, flaking, or peeling paint should be
removed. That's why 95% of a paint job is preparation. If the old paint
is in bad shape you'll see more bare wood than paint, following a good
prep job. I think one component of pressure washing is to ferret out the
not-so-obvious peeling stuff, rather than to create more peeling than
already existed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
hello,

We are getting to the point where our house needs to be re-painted.
Have a latex paint on house now; about 10 years old since last paint
job.
There is "meaningful" paint peeling in spots, and am wondering how
well the adhesion is in general.

Am I right in that any new paint will never actually see the wood
siding, and merely adheres to the old paint ?

So, if there is subsequent peeling of the old paint from the wood, the
new paint will go along for the ride, and peel also ?

How are situations like this handled ?

If we get a good house washing (pressure wash ?) is this likely to
cause even more peeling problems ?

Is the paint peeling from the wood, or from old layers of paint?

On my 70 yo house, I've have very good results using a hand held electric
radiant heater to soften the old paint so it can be scraped off. Priming and
painting the result looks like brand new siding. The one I have is like the one
in the upper right picture he
http://books.google.com/books?id=nSkDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA150&lpg=PA150&dq=electr ic+heater+paint+removal&source=bl&ots=apT4xz8l7G&s ig=rZifBBMyutp47p7ZceaLKieXCf4&hl=en&ei=MmskTqehFa nliALTqLTBAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum= 7&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=electric%20heater% 20paint%20removal&f=false

It works especially well on multiple layers of paint. Not quite as well for just
one or 2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

If we get a good house washing (pressure wash ?) is this likely to
cause even more peeling problems ?

If it does, that's good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:52:28 -0400, Bob wrote:

hello,

We are getting to the point where our house needs to be re-painted.
Have a latex paint on house now; about 10 years old since last paint job.

There is "meaningful" paint peeling in spots, and am wondering how well
the adhesion is in general.

Am I right in that any new paint will never actually see the wood
siding, and merely adheres to the old paint ?

So, if there is subsequent peeling of the old paint from the wood, the
new paint will go along for the ride, and peel also ?

How are situations like this handled ?

If we get a good house washing (pressure wash ?) is this likely to cause
even more peeling problems ?

Thanks,
Bob

Not long ago my fascia trim was in bad shape, peeling, curling paint
and looked like alligator hide on the South and West side of the house
(desert heat is a killer). About 12 years old or so. I knew I would
have to take much of those sides down to wood. I bought a Wagner
Painter Eater with abrasive disks and used that (_DO NOT BUY THIS
TOOL - POS_). It lasted long enough for me to get the worse places
down to clean wood and failed after only three disks.

The North and East sides where not so bad. That paint was fairly
good, with no peeling. I used a 4" orbital sander (60 Grit paper) and
sanded all areas, feathering the areas out well to clean up the old
paint.

I did have to sink some nails and metal cleats under outside corners
to pull them together, Also some cleats where boards were cut 45
degrees to mate on long runs.

Put on a _good_ coat of primer, then two coats of paint (acrylic
latex). No need for a power washer.

Follow the recommendation of the paint can as you don't want to paint
above certain temperatures. Usually paint on the shady sides first,
when you can. If you have rain then it can slow down the process as
the wood needs to dry out for awhile.

P.S. I returned the Wagner tool for a full refund -- less the used
disks.

Good luck..

paint peeling (crown wipeable paint) Stephen[_6_] UK diy 3 October 22nd 09 10:50 PM
Car paint peeling Big Les Wade UK diy 8 June 18th 09 01:32 AM
Peeling Paint Mark Carver UK diy 2 July 20th 08 10:21 AM
Paint Peeling miamicuse Home Repair 15 January 15th 07 07:05 AM
Questions on procedure for thinning exterior house paint [email protected] Home Ownership 2 June 5th 06 04:12 PM