Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good phillips driver bit

"notbob" wrote in message
I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good
quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing
phillips head deck, etc, screws? These pieces of crap they sell for
$.75-1.00 ea on lumberyard checkout counters, where you grab a
handfull like promo popcorn cuz they're cheap Chinese ****, and most
ppl have settled for this absurd scenario. Why!?

I'd gladly pay $5-10 for a single bit that would last longer than a
hundred screws before it's useless garbage and I gotta reach for new
one like it was consumable sandpaper. Why do ppl pay hundreds for
quality power tools then settle for 88 cent table bits!? It's insane!

nb

I have found that the shape has a lot to do with it. Upon close examination
of bits, they range from very pointy, to mushroom looking, with the tip
ground off, to other varieties. It all depends on the exact screw to be
used. A good match between screw and head is a combination that is plain
common sense.

I have used, and have found, slightly mushroom shaped head tips that have
the pointy tip missing. This seems to allow for the bit to turn the screw
without it having to be lined exactly up. I have also noticed, and used,
tips that had small notches across the edges. These seemed to be made of a
type of metal that lasted longer than the others. They seemed to grip
better, too.

Anyone know any brand names of these?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

Ribbed tip to enhance your screwing pleasu

http://www.vermontamerican.com/Produ...l.html?CID=137

I get these at HD in a dispenser pack.

Last much longer and grip better than Dewalt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:34:59 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like Pozi-Driv
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob(but not THAT Bob)" wrote in message ...

Ribbed tip to enhance your screwing pleasu

http://www.vermontamerican.com/Produ...l.html?CID=137

I get these at HD in a dispenser pack.

Last much longer and grip better than Dewalt.

It's ironic that all these companies try to find ways to stop the Phillips
bit from doing what it was designed to do--namely cam out. I switched to
square-drive screws for serious woodworking some time ago, a much better
design IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-18, DGDevin wrote:

It's ironic that all these companies try to find ways to stop the Phillips
bit from doing what it was designed to do--namely cam out.

It's frightening that people who would have us believe they are
all-knowing are, in reality, dumber than a sack of hair.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

Couldn't get the link to work, but sounds like what I'm talking about.

I need to organize my tips. I've bought several of those multi tip things,
and except for about three of them, they all get thrown into a drawer, and
the organizers go to wherever mismatched socks go. They are like my
drillbits. I must have a couple of hundred of them, mostly all dull.
Better since I got a Drill Doctor 750. But there are lots and lots and lots
of different tips, and even sizes within those tips. For the most part, a
guy just needs a good hardened ribbed tip like these for 95% of his
screwing. I like those prelubricated latex ones for the other 4%. Then
there's those really weird fasteners that I use once every three years for
the other 1%.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Sounds like Pozi-Driv

I'll look. I'm tired of those 88 cent ones that break or strip after a
day's use.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message ...

It's ironic that all these companies try to find ways to stop the
Phillips
bit from doing what it was designed to do--namely cam out.

It's frightening that people who would have us believe they are
all-knowing are, in reality, dumber than a sack of hair.

Who claims to be all-knowing? I'm wrong on a regular basis, just ask my
wife. Or does, "have us believe they are all-knowing" really translate too,
"Doesn't share my beliefs"?