Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wheel Barrow handle splinters

Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

One word: duct tape

Two words: leather gloves.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

Hi,
I just wear good quality well fitting pair of work gloves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

One word: duct tape

Two words: leather gloves.

Jon

Two mo no ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2011 10:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

How about a nice new set of handles?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 00:04:57 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ER-TAPE/1.html

I love this tape, but for wrapping a handle there are smoother tapes
that will feel better to grip and I think dirt will stick to the this
make it feel worse as time goes on.

Norman, worth buying for sure, but try an inch or two before doing the
whole job. It's expensive too, imo.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:46:44 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

Hi,
I just wear good quality well fitting pair of work gloves.

Best idea. No blisters, work all the time, not just when you're not
holding the wheelbarrow. Make you feel 2 or 3 times as strong, when
you don't have to worry about ripping your fingers to shreds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/11 10:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

There is specialized tape for baseball bats and such. What about
good old fashioned friction tape?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 10:18*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Agree with others about using gloves. If you're loading the wood...you
might as well use gloves to protect your "mitts" through the whole
process!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Two words: Thank you very much.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds"
wrote in message

One word: duct tape

Posted to alt.home.repair

The store where I was, had four or five wheelbarrow. I was
thinking something (like clear spray paint) I could offer to
do quick, cheap, and free, for them.

New handles will rapidly wear, and do the same thing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

How about a nice new set of handles?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, an engineer went to Hell. He noticed how hot it
was, and so he designed and coordinated for central AC. The
people were lonely, and hungry. So, he designed and
installed telephones, a restaurant chain, and other
services. Before too long, Hell was actually a pretty nice
place.

Jesus came to visit the pits of Hell, and was astounded.
"This isn't supposed to happen! You desist, or I'll sue!"

The Devil replied "and, where do you plan to find an
attorney?"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Go to a doctor immediately and tell them the pain is so
severe that
you can not stand it. Request some powerful drugs. Next,
contact
your attorney and file a law suit against the owner of the
wheel
barrow. You will be unable to work for at least one year
due to the
pain, so you should sue for one years salary plus medical
costs, and
emotional pain. You must not do any work from now on, or
you will
lose the case in court.

Personally, I'd blame Jesus for this. He's the wicked son
of a bitch
who caused this by making a defective tree, which was the
one used to
make the handles. I'd sue Jesus too......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2011 11:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

1. Wear gloves
2. Wood filler, sand, paint
3. Have someone with a sewing machine sew "socks" for the handle with
some canvas....can even put some ties on the "socks" so they don't slide
off. Line the socks with fleece for comfort )

It's not tried and true, and I don't have a PhD in rocket science (yet),
but if the wood was on the side of the store, one would keep it painted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 8:50*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The store where I was, had four or five wheelbarrow. I was
thinking something (like clear spray paint) I could offer to
do quick, cheap, and free, for them.

Pick a better charity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

I used the appropriate size of heat shrink tubing on one of mine. Leather gloves
would be easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

To help prevent the splitting to begin with, you might suggest oiling
the handles with an outdoor oil each year. I used Watco once a year. I
also lightly sanded it in to help generate a smooth surface. I have had
very good success with the wooden handles on a tool I left outside all year
round. This worked for a long as I oiled the handles. The one year I
stopped doing so, it split after about 1 year 3 months.

Good Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/24/2011 7:09 AM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

I used the appropriate size of heat shrink tubing on one of mine. Leather gloves
would be easier.

Yes, heat shrink tubing is the fastest, cleanest, longest lasting
solution. Tape just makes a mess and doesn't last. He should just
measure the diameter of the handles and order the appropriate diameter
tubing, not too big, not too small. May be hard to find a large enough
diameter in a B&M store unless there is a good electronics store in the
area.

http://stores.ebay.com/Heat-Shrink-Tubing

Two 1' lengths of 3" diameter would cost $12, free shipping.

Another solutions is Plasti Dip which is widely available
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip. A little more work
than heat shrink tubing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2011 6:35 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:18:49 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

and don't forget to vote the Obummer back in so you can continue being a
freeloader.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2011 7:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The store where I was, had four or five wheelbarrow. I was
thinking something (like clear spray paint) I could offer to
do quick, cheap, and free, for them.

New handles will rapidly wear, and do the same thing.

LMAO. mine's over 2 yr old and does not splinter.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 9:09*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

I used the appropriate size of heat shrink tubing on one of mine. Leather gloves
would be easier.- Hide quoted text -

Love the heat-shrink idea. Will have to try it on some of my weather-
worn tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2011 9:51 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/24/2011 7:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The store where I was, had four or five wheelbarrow. I was
thinking something (like clear spray paint) I could offer to
do quick, cheap, and free, for them.

New handles will rapidly wear, and do the same thing.

LMAO. mine's over 2 yr old and does not splinter.

that was supposed to be 20 (twenty) yr old.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

On 6/24/2011 9:51 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/24/2011 7:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The store where I was, had four or five wheelbarrow. I was
thinking something (like clear spray paint) I could offer to
do quick, cheap, and free, for them.

New handles will rapidly wear, and do the same thing.

LMAO. mine's over 2 yr old and does not splinter.

that was supposed to be 20 (twenty) yr old.

I am much more impressed than I was a couple of seconds ago (grin)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

Personally, I'd blame Jesus for this.

Your first successful attempt at humor. Congratulations. Maybe you
shouldn't give up on your dream of becoming a stand-up comic after all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

From the same online store that sells elephant condoms?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message

I used the appropriate size of heat shrink tubing on one of
mine. Leather gloves
would be easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-24, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm thinking......

Not anytime, lately!

There's this invention, probably a few mellenia old, called gloves.
Not jes fer yer proctologist to pull yer head outta yer ass.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
From the same online store that sells elephant condoms?

Nope. From boeing surplus. May it rest in peace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2011 4:59 PM, John Simpson wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb from a wooden
handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by mail. I'm
curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a store. They are
outdoors all summer. This is in NY state, USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape, sports tape,
the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray clear spray paint. Who has
this knowledge? Tried and true, please.

Wood-handled wheel barrows should not live outside, but you know that.
But if the handle is giving splinters, I'd eyeball the whole handle real
close to make sure it isn't about to split further south, and dump a
load of wood on somebody's foot. Is the store owner pushing this, or the
customers?

If it is one of the common designs, many rural hardware stores have
replacement handles. If your heart is set on keeping the existing
handles, I'd just find some rubber or plastic tubing of the right
diameter, and work it over the handgrips. What is the diameter of the
round part? If it is small, bike or motorcycle handgrips might work.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The store owner is negligent. I was dreaming, and wishing,
for a quick fix I could do, inexpensively, so that myself
and other customers don't get splinters. I havn't asked the
store owner, actually. I neglected to measure the handles.
Rubber tubing pushed on sounds great idea. Elephant condoms
are comical, but something of that nature would help with
splinters.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:25*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The store owner is negligent. I was dreaming, and wishing,
for a quick fix I could do, inexpensively, so that myself
and other customers don't get splinters. I havn't asked the
store owner, actually.

Well, since you are obviously at loose ends with little to occupy your
time or your mind, why not set up a first aid station with free
bandaids and hand out business cards for a lawyer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2011 10:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

Large, thick walled heat shrink tubing of the type used for insulating
big underground cables or big power cables for electrically driven
underground mining equipment. The big electrical supply houses stock
the stuff for industrial customers. It usually has a hot melt adhesive
coating the inside of the tubing which will tenaciously stick to the
wooden handles. The outside of the tubing can be roughed up with sand
cloth after being installed with a heat gun and is extremely tough stuff
that will last the life of the wheelbarrow.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2011 11:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

I paint mine with old fashioned oil based lead paint. Works great for a
couple years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

Sand smooth with a jitterbug and coarse paper, then slather with linseed
oil, repeat as wood absorbs oil until it stops absorbing oil.

WARNING: Linseed oil left on rags can spontaneously combust.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think sanding, and linseed is the answer. The oily rags
are safe if laid out flat, or hung over a towel rack. They
only combust if crumpled, so they can keep the heat in. The
spontaneous bit only happens with natural oils, not petrolum
oils.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

Sand smooth with a jitterbug and coarse paper, then slather
with linseed
oil, repeat as wood absorbs oil until it stops absorbing
oil.

WARNING: Linseed oil left on rags can spontaneously
combust.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

Epoxy and smooth the handles, then cover with big fat heatshrink
tubing. Tape comes off or becomes a bit messy from the adhesive.
Self-fusing tape isn't tough enough to stand up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/26/2011 3:16 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

Epoxy and smooth the handles, then cover with big fat heatshrink
tubing. Tape comes off or becomes a bit messy from the adhesive.
Self-fusing tape isn't tough enough to stand up.

Nah, unless there are really big gouges in the wood, no smoothing or
epoxy is needed. Heat shrink alone is sufficient. One of the greatest
inventions of all time. That, and Liquid Prell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:50*am, Steve Barker wrote:
and don't forget to vote the Obummer back in so you can continue being a
freeloader.

Bush 43 did nothing to stem the tide of frivolous lawsuits and abuse
of welfare.
Bush 41 did nothing to stem the tide of frivolous lawsuits and abuse
of welfare.
Reagan did nothing to stem the tide of frivolous lawsuits and abuse of
welfare.

Frankly, I don't think it'll matter who gets elected.