Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Default Solid/puncture proof wheel barrow tyre

Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?
--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Henry

"Broadback" wrote in message
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?
--

How about Slime http://www.slime.com/

We have used it in our pushchair tyres with great success. Available in many
bike shops.

Seems it's frowned upon by "real" cyclists because of the "huge" increase in
weight and rolling resistance of the tyre :-)

Henry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Broadback wrote:
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

I don't like using barrows with solid tyres at all, it's
hard work. Perhaps a new tyre would help, or you could
put in some "Finilec" or similar "puncture proofer".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Broadback wrote:
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

If you're using the barrow on uneven surfaces, up and down kerbs/steps
etc. then a solid tyre will be a major disadvantage. What's causing the
punctures?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote:

In article
Broadback wrote:
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

For push bike tyres, you used to be able to buy kevlar strips/hoops to
line the tyre. Perhaps such things are still available and could be
modified, or perhaps you could DIY something similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article .com
wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

In article
Broadback wrote:
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

For push bike tyres, you used to be able to buy kevlar strips/hoops to
line the tyre. Perhaps such things are still available and could be
modified, or perhaps you could DIY something similar.

Kevlar is used for strips built in to tyres for puncture resistance -
the strips you placed between the tyre and tube (ISTR a brand called
Tuff Tape) were more like urethane.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Rob Morley wrote:
In article
Broadback wrote:
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

If you're using the barrow on uneven surfaces, up and down kerbs/steps
etc. then a solid tyre will be a major disadvantage. What's causing the
punctures?

I have extensive hedges of hawthorn, that is the problem. I clear the
cuttings and run the lawnmower over after, but still I pick up the
thorns. Even now almost 6 months after trimming the hawthorn.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Broadback wrote:
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up
repeatedly getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions
as to how or where I may obtain a solution to this?

Watts Industrial Tyres used to offer a service where they filled the tyre
with something foamy to stop punctures - don't know if they still do.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

david lang wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up
repeatedly getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions
as to how or where I may obtain a solution to this?

I have an aerosol can of gloop in the car which is supposed to
re-inflate and seal after a puncture. I've had it at least 10 years,
so I don't know if it would work. I'll try and remember to read the
small print and see if it's permissible to leave it in the tyre long
term.
If so, you'd be welcome to it for the cost of the postge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:33:36 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

PU squirty foam inside the tyre. It won't take the weight of a builder's
barrow, but it's OK for garden clippings.

I've used it to re-seat tyres that couldn't get a good enough seat on
the bead to be re-inflated, because the rims were chipped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
leveled

Mend the punctures or replace the tube and buy a can of tyre slime from
Halfords put in the tube and inflate . Mine has lasted for years and I had
the same problem. Same for a ride on mower. these aren't much good if the
tube is already punctured

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Henry

"Andy Dingley" wrote PU squirty foam inside the
tyre. It won't take the weight of a builder's
barrow, but it's OK for garden clippings.

I've used it to re-seat tyres that couldn't get a good enough seat on
the bead to be re-inflated, because the rims were chipped.

Bet getting the exact volume required is tricky :-) I have visions of
exploding tyres similar to those conjured up by the exploding canoe tale.

Henry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:41:16 -0000, "Henry"
Henryaintgonnatell.sunnysideup.com wrote:

Bet getting the exact volume required is tricky :-)

It splurges out the sides a bit - you trim afterwards

PU squirty foam doesn't have anything like the expansive power of the
two-part mix PUs foams used to make buoyancy blocks on boats. If you
constrain the squirty stuff it just seems to end up denser.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Broadback
writes
Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

Ultraseal

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:33:36 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

Yes, Buy the injectable foam that seales the punctures.

I stuffed it in my ride on, and no more problems.
Its one of the few wonder products that actually seems to work

Sadly our barrow has rotted where the valve enters the tube...must get a
new inner fitted..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:33:36 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly
getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or
where I may obtain a solution to this?

I have 3 wheelbarrow's (all real mean do don't they)

The solid wheel one is pathetic to wheel other than on a smooth flat
surface, it simply digs into ruts and holes and stops the barrow dead.
Pneumatic tyres are much better ...

A number of years ago I saw a Tomorrows World programme that sold a product
you injected in your tyre and it expanded to fill the complete cavity ...
with a yellow honeycomb material ... properties of a pneumatic tyre but
puncture proof.
This is not the puncture repair cans .. they just fill the hole ... don't
fill the whole air space.

Maybe it went the same way as everlasting light bulbs and cars that can run
on water ...

Rick