Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Three Counties Show (UK).

On 6/20/11 12:09 PM, harry wrote:
Yesterday went to Three counties show.
(£16 to get in! Bloody hell!)
http://www.threecounties.co.uk/
You will be glad to hear America was represented.
Jeep was there, also John Deere and Chevrolette.
The Chevvies it has to be said didn't look like anything from America.
The Jeeps all had diesel engines and of course RH drive.
But John Deere looked all American.
Also there, all their enemies.
There was a strange man, claimed to be a cowboy from America. Had a
horse that could do tricks allegedly related to cattle catching. Are
there still cowboys in America or are they fakes? This one looked
pretty fake.

Yes there are still real working cowboys and cattle ranches in the
U.S. They still brand cattle in some parts, too. Some towns have the
rodeo arenas next to the high school football (not soccer) fields.
I think some cowboys actually make a living just off the prize money
they win at rodeos.
Then there are the poseurs. Drug store cowboys. Rexalls.
There were a couple of guys doing lumberjack tricks with axes
involving climbing a pole.
Yanks are trying to takeover :-) Arrgh...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 2:19*am, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 6/20/11 12:09 PM, harry wrote:

[...]

I think he must have been one of the latter.
I thought they chased cows with helicopters these days?
They do in Australia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/11 2:29 AM, harry wrote:
On Jun 21, 2:19 am, Dean wrote:
On 6/20/11 12:09 PM, harry wrote:

[...]

There was an article in a newspaper awhile back talking about a
rancher who didn't use horses for working cattle. He had a four wheeler
or ATV. I would think he'd be a lot more vulnerable than if he was
on a horse. Physical size matters.
They use an old pickup at one of the nearby feedlots. I guess it has
a few dents in it from grouchy cattle. Another close one uses horses.
I can't imagine using a helicopter. That would be way too expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote:

There was an article in a newspaper awhile back talking about a
rancher who didn't use horses for working cattle. He had a four wheeler
or ATV. I would think he'd be a lot more vulnerable than if he was
on a horse. Physical size matters.
They use an old pickup at one of the nearby feedlots. I guess it has
a few dents in it from grouchy cattle. Another close one uses horses.
I can't imagine using a helicopter. That would be way too expensive.

Around here almost everybody uses 4-wheelers at least some, any more.
They don't need feeding except when running, are already saddled and
ready to go (most of the time, anyway ) and don't need rubbing down
in the evening. OTOH, they aren't as intelligent as the good cow pony...

They have disadvantages, too; they are accident prone in rough country
so the horse is definitely not passe. Then again, a good friend was
just injured severely by his horse a month or so ago; he's still in
rehab and will be for several more months.

The helicopter thing is definitely reserved for the really large ranches
or extremely remote country where typically only go out on fall roundup
and maybe a spring one as well. It's tough roping from one, though...

The highest number of riders employed around here are in the feedlots as
pen riders; they are mounted virtually the entire day, every day.

Rodeo (particularly professional) is quite a different exercise only
very remotely related to actual working practices--it's stylistic if you
will. The calf roping event is closest to a real operation excepting
for just letting the animal up when its caught w/o doing the work that
was the reason for catching it to begin with on the ranch...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:29:47 -0700, harry wrote:
I think he must have been one of the latter. I thought they chased cows
with helicopters these days? They do in Australia.

How they heck do they fly them when they lack opposable thumbs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote the following:
Dean Hoffman wrote:

[...]

Horse and injury reminds me of a joke by "Larry the Cable Guy" on The
Blue Collar Comedy channel on SiriusXM satellite radio.
I tried Googling it, but just came up with variations, but as I remember
it, it went something like;
"I got me a horse and took it for a ride. It stepped in a gopher hole
and broke his leg. I called the vet and asked him what to do. He said he
couldn't do anything for it and I would have to shoot it. I didn't know
how that would help, but the vet knows better, so I shot him. Now I got
me a horse with a broke leg and a gunshot wound.
If he doesn't get any better, I'll try shootin' him again".
For you Furriners, Larry the Cable Guy was the voice of 'Mater', the tow
truck in Disney's animated movie "Cars".

The helicopter thing is definitely reserved for the really large
ranches or extremely remote country where typically only go out on
fall roundup and maybe a spring one as well. It's tough roping from
one, though...

The highest number of riders employed around here are in the feedlots
as pen riders; they are mounted virtually the entire day, every day.

Rodeo (particularly professional) is quite a different exercise only
very remotely related to actual working practices--it's stylistic if
you will. The calf roping event is closest to a real operation
excepting for just letting the animal up when its caught w/o doing the
work that was the reason for catching it to begin with on the ranch...

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 1:48*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:29:47 -0700, harry wrote:
I think he must have been one of the latter. I thought they chased cows
with helicopters these days? They do in Australia.

How they heck do they fly them when they lack opposable thumbs?

There are cattle ranches in Australia bigger than Texas. I suppose
that's where helicopters come in.
http://www.australia.com/campaigns/w...ng-outback.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

"I got me a horse and took it for a ride. It stepped in a gopher hole
and broke his leg. I called the vet and asked him what to do. He said he
couldn't do anything for it and I would have to shoot it. I didn't know
how that would help, but the vet knows better, ...

Vet jokes always remind me first of my brother who is one and second of
the story Baxter Black tells the following story of how he got out of
being a vet to a fulltime cowboy entertainer...

I was set up in a large animal practice out ther in E Co ranch country
and just not gettin' anywhere in that dry and dusty place w/ only about
three ranches in the whole county could drive to in a day. So, called
the Vet School to get some help in determing the problem. Well, first
thing this city fella' did was ask me how I was charging clients. So, I
told him what I told them--"That'll be 50 bucks but I keep the hide."

==

OT. Three Counties Show (UK). Red Green Home Repair 1 June 21st 11 01:09 AM
Old English counties Dave UK diy 16 June 20th 11 11:59 PM
7 Counties Home Improvements Squadie Home Repair 1 June 28th 08 06:19 PM
Realtor for multiple counties? john Home Ownership 2 June 30th 06 09:42 PM