Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower leaking into wall?

On Jun 18, 4:10*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 3:19*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Jun 17, 11:16*am, "Nuzzy" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Any idea what could be causing this, and what I need to do?

Blame Obama, & you need to vote Republican.

That will get it fixed!!! *You're on. *Can I throw in new side door,
back yard patioconstruction & landscaping, *paint house indoors & out,
refinish front door, repaint front porch, rip up concrete in front of
garage and replace with permeable concrete squares; in fact rip out
concrete driveway paths leading to garage apron and replace whole
thing with landscaping, replace edge tiles on garage roof, replace
both side gates and driveway gate... let's see...what am I missing...

Lawdy, if I'd known it was that easy, I would have sold my soul right
around Nixon's zeit.

HB

As others have pointed out, the damaged section is pretty much
shot, so you could just open it up and take a look inside. *That
assumes that with the construction there isn't some framing
completely blocking the way. *Not likely, but possible. *If no
water is appearing on the floor, I'd say odds are that it's not a
leak, but it might be.

* The other option is as suggested to dry
it out with a fan and hold off using both theshowerand the bath
tub for a couple days. *Or if you're going to be away for a few
days, let it dry out then and when you return

, use only the
bath part for a week, carefully making sure no chance of
water getting their past the curtain, running down the top of
the tub, etc.

No chance of that happening. Not in proximity.

If it's not wet, then do the same using the shower.

Using shower first.

UPDATE: Attached pic of grisly site.

http://tinypic.com/r/2dcamgg/7

I scraped away icky wet stuff down to the wood.

As recommended, we are not using that shower; monitoring if it dries
on its own.

Note that wet ick does not seem to extend higher into the area covered
by white surface coat (to permit wallpaper).

What might that say about WHERE exactly the moisture enters the wall?

TIA

HP

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 12:49*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 2:06*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Jun 17, 10:59*am, "RogerT" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

On Jun 17, 10:31 am, Higgs Boson wrote:
Here is a better view:

HB

++++++++++++++

Well, gee, that is a MUCH better view! *I had no idea where theshowerand
tub were from the first views.

The water damage on the wall may just be water that gets on the wall from
people using the tub -- especially if the tub has ashower.

Hmmm...will check that out. *I kinda doubt it; I'm the one that uses
theshowerin the tub, and I always close the curtain; I would be
aware of splashing outside.
Thing is -- damage is in the same location as earlier, much less
severe, damage which I attributed to user improperly closingshower
door latch. *Maybe I was wrong then, but there was a long period when
no further damage occurred until just recent alarm.

What is under the floor where the tub andshowerare located (the floor
below)? *Is there any ceiling damage on the floor below under where the tub
andshowerare located?

There's nothing underneath but the crawl space. *This is a one-story
California -- do they still call them bungalows?

(I haven't been down to visit the black widows for years -- since I
drilled holes in the hardwood and ran lines from the hi-fi on E. wall
to the speakers on W. wall.)

HB- Hide quoted text -

You haven't said how many people are in the household and who uses
what???

Two persons in the household. One uses stall shower, the other uses
tub shower.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 1:28*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
The replacementwallwill probably not be lath and plaster, but green
board, a wet area sheetrock..

Correct. *That is what's there now. *My mistake originally saying
lathe & plaster. *That was before remodel w/greenboard.

This time don't use greenboard either. *Use cement board.

Thanks! I didn't know about cement board. Looked it up and found
beaucoup info at http://www.single-family-home-remodeling.com/
greenboard.html. Very helpful!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 12:09*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:19*am, Higgs Boson wrote:

Here's a link to several pix of a nasty situation in my (only)
bathroom.

I am scared to death that there is a leak somewhere in thewallwhich
is showing up at the base.

Background: *Some years ago the latch on theshowerwent bad, and
water leaked out in this area. *So I replaced the latch. *Showeris
used by another person, so I just now checked to make sure it closed
tight, and it does, and OP is aware of this. I got in theshower,
turned on the water, but did not see any leakage throughshowerdoor.

Any idea what could be causing this, and what I need to do?

TIA

HB

HB- *(aka OP)

Having read all the entire thread & looked at all the photos you
posted.....my best guess is that leak is from inside theshowerstall.

My buddy's ex-wife's house has the exact sameshowerstall / bath tub
arrangement and the exact same water damage (~2009).
*Her house in in SoCal & was built in the early 50's. *Theshower
stall tile & tube are original.

He & I determined that the source of the leak was failed grout on the
floor ofshowerstall, cracked grout at thewall/ floor corners and
most likely a cracked / deterioratedshowerpan.

We took a look from the crawl space and saw that the subfloor had
evidence of water leakage.
We ran theshowerto confirm an active leak.

She didn't want to bear the cost to redo theshowerstall (it was a
rental that she wanted to get new tenantsinto)
Since damage was already done, we caulked the corners & re-grouted
floor and re-checked the leak behavior.
Theleakingwas reduced by 90% but the dry rot is slowly continuing
the destruction even in the relatively dry SoCal environment.

I would suggest you get a look at the underside of theshowerstall
(from the crawl space) after theshowerhas been unused for a couple
weeks and then run theshowerand see the effect on the subfloor.

Thanks, Bob. I'm reassured that you're going to be by my side,
pointing a very strong flashlight and holding a stun gun for the Black
Widows. Plus a boombox emitting soothing meditation music for
claustrophobia. So equipped, I am (almost) ready to tackle the new
challenge, after shower has been on leave for a few weeks.

It that leak has been active for any length of time, I'd bet you're in for ashowerstall rebuild. *

OMG!

HB

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks, Bob. I'm reassured that you're going to be by my side,
pointing a very strong flashlight and holding a stun gun for the Black
Widows. Plus a boombox emitting soothing meditation music for
claustrophobia. So equipped, I am (almost) ready to tackle the new
challenge, after shower has been on leave for a few weeks.

FWIW, I bought a house several years ago that had had a long-term leak
in the bathroom, and the previous owner had not repaired the damage
properly. I hired a guy to take the fixtures out and rebuild the floor.
But neither one of us really wanted to go slithering around in the crawl
space, to evaluate the extent of the damage. Finally I said, look, the
repair has to happen from up here, so let's just tear into it until we
have a big enough hole to see what's rotten, and enough working room to
fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:21:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks, Bob. I'm reassured that you're going to be by my side,
pointing a very strong flashlight and holding a stun gun for the Black
Widows. Plus a boombox emitting soothing meditation music for
claustrophobia. So equipped, I am (almost) ready to tackle the new
challenge, after shower has been on leave for a few weeks.

FWIW, I bought a house several years ago that had had a long-term leak
in the bathroom, and the previous owner had not repaired the damage
properly. I hired a guy to take the fixtures out and rebuild the floor.
But neither one of us really wanted to go slithering around in the crawl
space, to evaluate the extent of the damage. Finally I said, look, the
repair has to happen from up here, so let's just tear into it until we
have a big enough hole to see what's rotten, and enough working room to
fix it.

I had a similar situation in my last house. It was in the 1/2 bath in the
second (was my son's) bedroom. I found the problem while ripping up the
flooring to tile it. The entire subfloor had been doubled up, with the first
layer almost gone and the second on its way. I thought it odd that the
bathroom had rubber molding that had been sealed with silicone. Evidently the
previous owners thought their kid was splashing water. Nope, the copper HW
supply line in the wall behind the vanity had a pinhole leak that had (mostly)
crusted over. There wasn't enough water to leak through to the kitchen
ceiling below but there was enough to vaporize the subflooring under the vinyl
floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 11:21*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks, Bob. *I'm reassured that you're going to be by my side,
pointing a very strong flashlight and holding a stun gun for the Black
Widows. *Plus a boombox emitting soothing meditation music for
claustrophobia. So equipped, I am (almost) ready to tackle the new
challenge, after shower has been on leave for a few weeks.

FWIW, I bought a house several years ago that had had a long-term leak
in the bathroom, and the previous owner had not repaired the damage
properly. I hired a guy to take the fixtures out and rebuild the floor.
But neither one of us really wanted to go slithering around in the crawl
space, to evaluate the extent of the damage. Finally I said, look, the
repair has to happen from up here, so let's just tear into it until we
have a big enough hole to see what's rotten, and enough working room to
fix it.

OMG I hope it won't come to that. I, too, was wondering why I need to
go into the (yeccch!) crawl space, when there doesn't seem to be any
effect on the vinyl tile at the bottom of the narrow wall between
stall shower and tub shower

Update: I have been monitoring the area since, on advice of NG, we
stopped using the stall shower. It has dried out enough to suggest
strongly that the leak is coming from the stall shower. Now I have
to bring in the plumber to advise where the leak might be. I have
notes of all suggestions from this NG. Frustratingly, nothing seems
to be visibly wrong. My initial suspicion is that the leak is inside
the wall. (Reminder: the pipe holding the shower head just comes
right out of the wall; no way to get access, AFAIK, w/o removing
individual tiles and opening up wall.)

Interesting side-note: When the bathroom was redone, over 30 years
ago !!!! the great old lathe & plaster was replaced by greenboard.
But the problem area still has lathe & plaster -- as revealed when I
chopped away all the brownish wet gunk, back to the wood. Wonder why
they left that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

Interesting side-note: When the bathroom was redone, over 30 years
ago !!!! the great old lathe & plaster was replaced by greenboard.
But the problem area still has lathe & plaster -- as revealed when I
chopped away all the brownish wet gunk, back to the wood. Wonder why
they left that?

Only because you're a spelling and grammar aficionado, I'll point out
that a lathe is a machine tool. The word you want is lath. (Word ends in
e, long vowel, doesn't end in e, short vowel, of course.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 3:53*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

Interesting side-note: *When the bathroom was redone, over 30 years
ago *!!!! *the great old lathe & plaster was replaced by greenboard..
But the problem area still has lathe & plaster -- as revealed when I
chopped away all the brownish wet gunk, back to the wood. * Wonder why
they left that?

Only because you're a spelling and grammar aficionado, I'll point out
that a lathe is a machine tool. The word you want is lath. (Word ends in
e, long vowel, doesn't end in e, short vowel, of course.)

Thanks, you're right. I had that creepy sensation in the back of my
mind, but didn't take the time to look it up. 10 lashes w/a wet
noodle.

HB

Leaking Tub/Shower desgnr Home Repair 1 July 26th 07 02:02 PM
Shower wall grout is still leaking after regrouting - Please Help! 1969Benz Home Repair 7 June 20th 07 12:26 AM
Need to add shower (or shower/tub) to existing half bath - wet bar ibstalled on wall opposite Grufyydd Home Repair 3 May 3rd 06 10:55 AM
Water Leaking Into Wall from Shower Bob Simon Home Repair 5 April 28th 05 11:15 AM
3 wall- Stud wall shower enclosure/ recess shower? anon UK diy 3 April 22nd 05 02:27 AM