Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oscillating tools - loud and not that great?

Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:44:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Scholtes
wrote:

Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.

I bought a HF multi-tool when I did some remodeling last year.
Basically to cut the door stops near the floor so I could fit
thresholds. Worked fine.
Also worked well for some sanding in tight spots.
It's not loud at all.
Anticipate using it for cleaning out tile grout and some more sanding.
Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.
You're using the wrong tool.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryan Scholtes wrote:
Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.

My HF tool doesn't cut fast. It does cut very cleanly and VERY controlably.
Noise isn't that bad.

I use it for precision cutting or difficult to reach spots, like for modifying
cabinets. It doesn't cause any surface splintering. Other saws are better for
bulk sawing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 12:44*pm, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.

I have the Dremel model and would hate to be without it. I dont cut
off nails with it if I cuold use my sawsall or drive them in or pull
them out with a hammer.The saw is what it is and doesnt replace my
jamb saw, pipe cutter or any other tool. It is a handy little tool
though that often fills niches that these other tools don't....this
usally means solving access problems.

Jimmie

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryan Scholtes wrote:
Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.

It has it uses. And for those uses, it is superior.

I've found it superior on:

* Undercutting door-jambs (as one poster mentioned). Beats everything else I
tried: Dremel, angle grinder, angled hand saw, etc.
* Cutting holes in sheetrock for electrical outlets.
* Sanding in tight places.
* Mixing oil and water (miscibles).

And today (Friday 6/20) and all weekend, HF has them on sale for $19.99.

Posted to alt.home.repair

croy wrote the following:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:25:16 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I bought a HF multi-tool when I did some remodeling last year.
Basically to cut the door stops near the floor so I could fit
thresholds. Worked fine.
Also worked well for some sanding in tight spots.
It's not loud at all.
Anticipate using it for cleaning out tile grout and some more sanding.
Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.
You're using the wrong tool.

Who is "HF"?

Stick around long enough and you will learn the meaning of HF, and even HD.
Harbor Freight and Home Depot..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

wrote:

I bought a HF multi-tool when I did some remodeling last year.
Basically to cut the door stops near the floor so I could fit
thresholds. Worked fine.
Also worked well for some sanding in tight spots.
It's not loud at all.
Anticipate using it for cleaning out tile grout and some more
sanding. Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.
You're using the wrong tool.

Who is "HF"?

Stick around long enough and you will learn the meaning of HF, and
even HD. Harbor Freight and Home Depot..

I was watching This Old House,and the contractor guy used one of those Fein
Multimasters for sawing and cutouts,and it looked very useful.I've heard
that the variable speed models are better. I wonder if you can use an
incandescent lamp dimmer as a speed control for them? I have one for my
ancient Dremel model 270 Mototool.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

dot com- Hide quoted text -

Probably YES
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
willshak wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what advantage it would provide. The only advantage I can think of
for the HF version is an extra 1000 vibrations per second on their variable
speed version. I suspect slowing the tool down quickly makes it ineffective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hymie Samuel Finklebottom. An old Jew who lives in New York
City, and runs a second hand store, with a "Going out of
business; must sell everything" sign that has been there for
50 years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

I bought a HF multi-tool when I did some remodeling last
year.
Basically to cut the door stops near the floor so I could
fit
thresholds. Worked fine.

Who is "HF"?

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about TSA, BP, HS, and SS?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

Who is "HF"?

Stick around long enough and you will learn the meaning of
HF, and even HD.
Harbor Freight and Home Depot..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 11:44*am, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.

I am pretty happy with my HF Multi-tool. The thing you should
remember is they are not capable of cutting like a full-up circular
saw. They might not be quite as effective as a vigorous hand scraping
for tiles, etc. A good power sander can possible out-sand them. But
they are hard to beat in tight or awkward areas where you need to do
that kind of work. It is often hard to get a hack saw into some areas
to cut off a nail.

I built a garden building last year and ended up needing to cut an
inch or less off of several 2x4 ends near my soffits. I stood and
scratched thinking about how hard it was going to be to get a hand saw
or saws-all into the close quarters when I remember the multi-tool.
It took a couple side entries for each 2x4 but the cut-offs were
sitting on the ground in less than one minute for each.

Mine spends a lot of time on the shelf, but when I need it, I love it.

RonB

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote in
:

wrote:

Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.

I bought a HF multi-tool when I did some remodeling last year.
Basically to cut the door stops near the floor so I could fit
thresholds. Worked fine.

Yes, excellent.

Also worked well for some sanding in tight spots.

Never tried for that.

It's not loud at all.

Working inside, I disagree.

Anticipate using it for cleaning out tile grout and some more sanding.

I've used it for grout but found it very slow. Especially on very old
grout. Crappy HF blades I assume. What literally rips through grout, and
I mean like a few feet per minute, is a Rotozip with a diamond blade.

Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.

True. But I have. Having the Original HF-MT, it's only single speed and
burns up blades (blue tip). I did learn to keep a small container of
water and dip it as needed.

You're using the wrong tool.

--Vic

I'm a long time HF- multi tool proponent. My comments to yours are above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:isvok3
:

Hymie Samuel Finklebottom. An old Jew who lives in New York
City, and runs a second hand store, with a "Going out of
business; must sell everything" sign that has been there for
50 years.

Maybe he's actually trying to sell the sign and nobody's figured that out
yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
:

Also worked well for some sanding in tight spots.

Never tried for that.

The triangle shaped pad does the job in corners, and the sanding disks
are stiff and have some overhang so they go right into 90 degree
edges.
Have to say I only sanded some softened varnish and water staining
off some Anderson windows. Wood was pretty soft too.
Maybe 45 minutes of sanding use.
A drum sander on a drill might have done as well except for the
corners, Would have been harder to handle than the multi-tool.
I'll pick up the multi-tool first for that window job.

It's not loud at all.

Working inside, I disagree.

I bought the variable speed, but full out it's still low volume to me.
Compared to my saw and belt sander for sure.

Anticipate using it for cleaning out tile grout and some more sanding.

I've used it for grout but found it very slow. Especially on very old
grout. Crappy HF blades I assume. What literally rips through grout, and
I mean like a few feet per minute, is a Rotozip with a diamond blade.

I'll keep that in mind. (-:

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

....and makes a total mess of the tile in the meantime. The bits don't last
long, either. I went through a couple dozen (they're $10 each at the BORG)
doing the surround in my last house.

Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.

True. But I have. Having the Original HF-MT, it's only single speed and
burns up blades (blue tip). I did learn to keep a small container of
water and dip it as needed.

You're using the wrong tool.

--Vic

I'm a long time HF- multi tool proponent. My comments to yours are above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote in
news
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
m:

[...]

p.s. forgot to mention. I'm sure you're aware but for the benefit of
others...when it comes to corners/edges with grout removal, an
oscillating tool with the half-moon carbide blade is the cats meow.
Something a Rotozip can't do. Another example of right tool for the right
job even if it's a HF cheapie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

Bits? You talking about a rotary tool? I was addressing the HF-MF tool
that uses blades.

I went through a couple dozen (they're $10 each at
the BORG) doing the surround in my last house.

Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.

True. But I have. Having the Original HF-MT, it's only single speed
and burns up blades (blue tip). I did learn to keep a small container
of water and dip it as needed.

You're using the wrong tool.

--Vic

I'm a long time HF- multi tool proponent. My comments to yours are
above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Well, that's kinda what a "Roto-Zip" is, so yeah.

I was addressing the HF-MF tool that uses blades.

Is that why you said: "What literally rips through grout, and I mean like
a few feet per minute, is a Rotozip with a diamond blade."?

*THAT* is what I was addressing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

OK, too vague on my part. I meant a Rotozip ZipSaw with a 4" circular
blade. Rotozip also has the spiral saw which has bits.

I had no tile damage with it but it will damage tile very easily if
you're not careful. In the right application that's a good thing. Same
tool/blade I used to cut a circle in tile for the toilet flange. Cut it
so pretty it was a shame to cover it :-)

I was addressing the HF-MF tool that uses blades.

Is that why you said: "What literally rips through grout, and I mean
like a few feet per minute, is a Rotozip with a diamond blade."?

*THAT* is what I was addressing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

I've seen TV ads for a new Rototool cutoff saw,that uses rotary BLADES,not
bits.

the Rotozip is merely a fancy Dremel Mototool,or a small trim router.

WRT the HF oscillating sander/saw,has anyone tried an incandescent lamp
dimmer for an external speed control?
I use one for my Dremel 270 Mototool.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote the following:
" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

My one Dremel tool is about 30 years old. It was a single speed drill
(high). I then bought a Dremel speed controller soon after that for it
to drill, grind, or polish at a slower speed.
I recently bought a variable speed Dremel, so I don't use the older
Dremel so much.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

Jim Yanik wrote the following:
" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

the lamp dimmer works fairly well as a speed controller for the Dremel.
I built it into a double outlet junction box,so the Dremel just plugs in,or
I can use it as a soldering iron temp controller. Plus there's a spare
120VAC outlet for other items. Also,replacing a worn lamp dimmer speed
control is cheaper than buying a new Dremel part,and a lot easier to
install.The newer Dremel we had at work,it's built-in speed control wore
out pretty quickly(got flaky,intermittent),as some of the other techs were
tool abusers.

My Dremel is also more than 30 years old,also single speed. Since I have
the external speed control,I saw no need to buy a newer Dremel,as the 270
is still working great.
I've heard the newer Dremels are not of as good quality.

the only thing I miss from the newer Dremel was the adjustable chuck.
(now an option on the latest versions)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:24:29 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
om:

wrote:

[...]

Is "dimming" a multi-tool really useful? I've always used mine (a Dremel and
a Bosch) flat out. For that matter, I've always used the moto-tool flat out
too. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:24:29 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
news:2ak4v6pvscd0a5lnv5ncqu47ck5i5lns98@4ax. com:

wrote:

[...]

for some bits and some materials,using a slower speed on the Dremel is
better,less burning or melting and less chatter.
just like routers with variable speed are preferable.

I've never used a multi-tool or oscillating sander/cutter.

HF does charge a lot more for their variable speed multi-tool.
Besides,a variable speed control is one more thing to break or get flaky.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:41:59 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:24:29 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
om:

wrote:

[...]

The reason for variable speed routers is big bits. Turning a panel-raising
bit at 25000 RPM gets exciting. ;-)

I've never used a multi-tool or oscillating sander/cutter.

HF does charge a lot more for their variable speed multi-tool.
Besides,a variable speed control is one more thing to break or get flaky.

Again, I don't see the point. Every tool, like these, I have is always
cranked to the max.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:24:29 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:40:13 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
news:5rpev6l1e87oian1ggjdlg2l1mmk66p2aj@4ax. com:

wrote:

[...]

ONE reason,not the sole reason. even the woodworker mags mention slowing
for different woods,to prevent burning.

Turning a
panel-raising bit at 25000 RPM gets exciting. ;-)

I hear ya!

I've never used a multi-tool or oscillating sander/cutter.

HF does charge a lot more for their variable speed multi-tool.
Besides,a variable speed control is one more thing to break or get
flaky.

Again, I don't see the point. Every tool, like these, I have is
always cranked to the max.

try using a Dremel on plastic;it will melt instead of cut.
same for a router or saw.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik