Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Oscillating tools - loud and not that great?

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:44:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Scholtes
wrote:

Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much of
a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that implies
cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say, Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power tools.
But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the effectiveness and
ease-of-use.

I bought a HF multi-tool when I did some remodeling last year.
Basically to cut the door stops near the floor so I could fit
thresholds. Worked fine.
Also worked well for some sanding in tight spots.
It's not loud at all.
Anticipate using it for cleaning out tile grout and some more sanding.
Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.
You're using the wrong tool.

--Vic