Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Goldstar Window AC Problem

This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 7:58*am, Bob Villa wrote:
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 8:29*am, RonB wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:58*am, Bob Villa wrote:

This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

4 or 5 years...I would say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Fairly common problem on window AC units. Replace the fan motor, but check
the cost first. It may not be worth the trouble compared to a new unit. If
you can't DIY, it is definitely cheaper to buy a new unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2011 09:29 AM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:58 am, Bob wrote:
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

Can't be that new... haven't seen any products branded GoldStar in a
while, all are now LG (Lucky Goldstar)

wikipedia says 1995 is when the change took place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 7:58 am, Bob *wrote:
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

Can't be that new... haven't seen any products branded GoldStar in a
while, all are now LG (Lucky Goldstar)

wikipedia says 1995 is when the change took place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Well your wrong...they were a "Special On Sale" item at Best Buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 8:49*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Bob Villa" wrote in message

This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Fairly common problem on window AC units. *Replace the fan motor, but check
the cost first. *It may not be worth the trouble compared to a new unit.. *If
you can't DIY, it is definitely cheaper to buy a new unit.

I was thinking it may be a poor connection on the CB. (heated or
cracked solder)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 7:58 am, Bob *wrote:
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

Can't be that new... haven't seen any products branded GoldStar in a
while, all are now LG (Lucky Goldstar)

wikipedia says 1995 is when the change took place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Well your wrong...they were a "Special On Sale" item at Best Buy.

I hate when I do that, damn! (your/you're)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 7:58 am, Bob *wrote:
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

Can't be that new... haven't seen any products branded GoldStar in a
while, all are now LG (Lucky Goldstar)

wikipedia says 1995 is when the change took place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Well your wrong...they were a "Special On Sale" item at Best Buy.

It was a wasp net and involved a near complete tear-apart! Very bad
design!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 8:56 am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Jun 4, 8:50 am, Nate Nagel wrote:

Well your wrong...they were a "Special On Sale" item at Best Buy.

It was a wasp net and involved a near complete tear-apart! Very bad

design!

I get those here. Got into my brand new pool heater. Mud-daubers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" wrote

It was a wasp net and involved a near complete tear-apart! Very bad
design!

Glad it worked out. The stopping and starting sounds unusual for a blocked
fan.

As for the bad design, they are throw aways and designed for ease of
assembly. They don't care about taking them apart as few ever are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

It was a wasp net and involved a near complete tear-apart! Very bad
design!

Interesting. Just guessing here, but was the wasp nest causing a blockage
of air flow, then the unit would overheat, then an overheating sensor
somewhere would cut it off? Then, after it cooled down it would work again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 11:55*am, "RogerT" wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

It was a wasp net and involved a near complete tear-apart! Very bad
design!

Interesting. *Just guessing here, but was the wasp nest causing a blockage
of air flow, then the unit would overheat, then an overheating sensor
somewhere would cut it off? *Then, after it cooled down it would work again?

The nest is like cardboard and would make a slight noise most of the
time and every once in a while would jam. The compressor would not
cool enough and drop-out. Then the compressor would go thru another
cycle if the fan wasn't running.
Those nests are tough to rip-apart!

http://timberpest.com.au/images/wasp%20nest.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2011 8:58 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart?
Thanks!
bob

I have a inexpensive window unit that periodically has the same problem,
the fan freezes up.

The solution has been to oil the fan bearings. It is sort of an annoying
job taking the covers off to get to the motor, but then a couple of
drops of oil on each end of the shaft and some fussing fixes it for a
couple of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think Goldstar is the Walmart brand. Not worth repairing.
Well, replacement dual run cap is cheap enough.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RonB" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 7:58 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor
will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil
dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it
apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"RonB" wrote in message

On Jun 4, 7:58 am, Bob Villa wrote:

This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor
will cut-out
after from over-heating.
It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil
dissipation.
Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it
apart?
Thanks!
bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

You're the only one that "top posts". Possibly, you would be able to
follow along if you posted like everyone else. It was bought from
"Best Buy". Keep the "thought process" in one area and the
concentration will improve.