Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dehumidifier--multiple? Whole-House?

What are the pros and cons of a whole-house dehumidifier vs.
individual models in the rooms that need it?

And of the whole-house models, has anyone had any experience with the
Wave system (which is more a ventilating than dehumidifying device)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 3:36*pm, Ivan wrote:
What are the pros and cons of a whole-house dehumidifier vs.
individual models in the rooms that need it?

And of the whole-house models, has anyone had any experience with the
Wave system (which is more a ventilating than dehumidifying device)?

Having had both, I would vote for the whole house solution. I
admittedly have lost track of what a dedicated whole house system
costs but I would guess it would compete with purchase and maintenance
of several room-sized. Besides, unless you can drain the individuals
to convenient floor drain or similar solution, they will keep you busy
dumping the buckets. We Have two pretty hefty portables in the museum
where I volunteer and during spring and summer we dump about two
gallons from both daily; and sometimes dump twice a day.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 4:36*pm, Ivan wrote:
What are the pros and cons of a whole-house dehumidifier vs.
individual models in the rooms that need it?

And of the whole-house models, has anyone had any experience with the
Wave system (which is more a ventilating than dehumidifying device)?

I don't understand the question, apparently.

My central air unit is a whole house dehumidifier.
That's the way it is supposed to work.
However, as a refinement, I wired an April-Aire
humidistat in backwards, so that it "makes" on humidity
rise rather than fall, and inserted it into the red wire of the
thermostat.

Now, instead of trying to achieve a certain temperature,
it gets to a level of comfort and shuts off. After all, a humid
73 degrees can be uncomfortable, and a drier 83 degrees
can be comfortable.

Since doing it this way, my wife doesn't wake up with a dry
nose in the morning. And our utility bill dropped. Far better
than trying to compete against that fusion reactor in the sky
during the day.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 19, 8:46*pm, RonB wrote:
On May 19, 3:36*pm, Ivan wrote:

What are the pros and cons of a whole-house dehumidifier vs.
individual models in the rooms that need it?

And of the whole-house models, has anyone had any experience with the
Wave system (which is more a ventilating than dehumidifying device)?

Having had both, I would vote for the whole house solution. *I
admittedly have lost track of what a dedicated whole house system
costs but I would guess it would compete with purchase and maintenance
of several room-sized. *Besides, unless you can drain the individuals
to convenient floor drain or similar solution, they will keep you busy
dumping the buckets. *We Have two pretty hefty portables in the museum
where I volunteer and during spring and summer we dump about two
gallons from both daily; and sometimes dump twice a day.

RonB

If you run the whole house furnace fan, a one room dehumidifier
becomes whole house. The dehumidifier also adds heat to the home, each
one.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 19, 8:46*pm, RonB wrote:
On May 19, 3:36*pm, Ivan wrote:

What are the pros and cons of a whole-house dehumidifier vs.
individual models in the rooms that need it?

And of the whole-house models, has anyone had any experience with the
Wave system (which is more a ventilating than dehumidifying device)?

Having had both, I would vote for the whole house solution. *I
admittedly have lost track of what a dedicated whole house system
costs but I would guess it would compete with purchase and maintenance
of several room-sized. *Besides, unless you can drain the individuals
to convenient floor drain or similar solution, they will keep you busy
dumping the buckets. *We Have two pretty hefty portables in the museum
where I volunteer and during spring and summer we dump about two
gallons from both daily; and sometimes dump twice a day.

RonB

use a condensate pump into a drain? that's what I did @ my house...
there's no real problem with drainage, seepage, etc. but the natural
humidity of the area (DC-land) is such that even with the A/C running
the inside can become a tad more humid than desirable in the summer,
esp. in the cooler basement. So I put a portable 50-gallon
dehumidifier in the basement and ran a condensate pump into the deep
sink, humidity in house is now 100% self regulating. (also have
humidifier for winter - forced air gas furnace) with minimal fiddling
or maintenance remains @ ~55% RH year round.

I did do a lot of taping of exposed ductwork in basement to keep it
from getting too cool in summer... didn't notice any diff in utility
bills but it is more comfortable now

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 4:36*pm, Ivan wrote:
What are the pros and cons of a whole-house dehumidifier vs.
individual models in the rooms that need it?

And of the whole-house models, has anyone had any experience with the
Wave system (which is more a ventilating than dehumidifying device)?

Depends on your speciifc problem and location. Both solutions have
merits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ideally, you have fan forced air heat in your house.
Retrofit for central AC, which reduces humidity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus