Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whole house dehumidifier

Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer.

Thanks

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer.

Dehumidifiers work by chilling incoming air, routing the condensed
water to a container (or drain) and then re-warming the air before
exhausting it back into your house.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehumidifier

Since warmer air can contain more moisture than cooler air
and with all else being equal, you are better off using
conventional A/C to dry out your air.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 2:53*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer..

Thanks

Aaron

Thats what the AC does, just think of it as free cool air and turn it
on, unless your system is oversized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jul 28, 2:53 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer.

Thanks

Aaron

Thats what the AC does, just think of it as free cool air and turn it
on, unless your system is oversized.

So, in my basement, where I'm running a dehumidifier in the summer,
would it cost the same to run an air conditioner?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 03:53:03 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote Re whole house dehumidifier:

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer.

There is, but they are expensive. Depending on the location of your
air-handler there is a cheaper solution that works for me. I bought a
large room dehumidifier and placed it where the dehumidifier output
was directed into the air-handler input. I ran a drain line from the
dehumidifier to a convenient location.

Now when I want to dehumidify the house, I run the air-handler with no
a/c or heat. Just the fan mode. With the dehumidifier on, it dries out
the house on cool damp days.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pretty close. It takes a bunch of energy to condense water.
There is a LOT of heat needed to boil water. And when you
condense the water, it releases a lot of heat. Might be
better off with a window AC, with the condensate draining
into a drain.

Window AC are designed to run the condensate to the outdoor
end of the unit, and splash the water onto the condensor
(hot radiator). I've got mine modified, so it drips outdoors
and keeps the condensor dry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
ransley wrote:
On Jul 28, 2:53 am, Aaron Fude
wrote:
Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the
problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing
as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the
moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no
clear cut answer.

Thanks

Aaron

Thats what the AC does, just think of it as free cool air
and turn it
on, unless your system is oversized.

So, in my basement, where I'm running a dehumidifier in the
summer,
would it cost the same to run an air conditioner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:02*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Jul 28, 2:53 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer.

Thanks

Aaron

Thats what the AC does, just think of it as free cool air and turn it
on, unless your system is oversized.

So, in my basement, where I'm running a dehumidifier in the summer,
would it cost the same to run an air conditioner?

My basement is cold this summer, usualy it gets to 70 but not this
year in my basement, I could use the heat of a dehumidifier since its
65 down there, but I dont know about cost comparisons, effeciency of
units or what you have now. My dehumidifier warms it about 3f in the
basement but only costs about 5$ a month, then I turn on the AC
upstairs, it cools the basement, and the dehumidifier gets it back to
70. If you are not warm but want just humidity removed some new ACs
have slow fan settings, but then as I understand it coil freezing has
to be monitored, maybe a pro could help you out better to give you
ideas on your set up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer.

Thanks

Aaron

I use my A/C primarily for humidity. It's a matter of how long I run it.

Air accounts for about 1% of a house's mass. If I blow a fan on a
thermometer and run the A/C until the temperature drops 1 F,
considerable humidity will have been removed, but if I shut off the A/C,
the mass of the house will soon warm the air to its original
temperature. So I haven't cooled the house enough to measure.

I use a fan and a wet-bulb/dry-bulb thermometer to tell me when to run
the A/C. As much as possible, I cool the mass of the house by night
ventilation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Pretty close. It takes a bunch of energy to condense water.
There is a LOT of heat needed to boil water. And when you
condense the water, it releases a lot of heat. Might be
better off with a window AC, with the condensate draining
into a drain.

Window AC are designed to run the condensate to the outdoor
end of the unit, and splash the water onto the condensor
(hot radiator). I've got mine modified, so it drips outdoors
and keeps the condensor dry.

Why would you do that? Doesn't it cut down the efficiency significantly? The
whole point is to regain some of that energy used in condensation.

dehumidifier ValveJob Home Repair 1 July 10th 07 06:49 PM
DIY Dehumidifier songofruth Home Repair 28 May 20th 05 10:41 AM
Illegally renting main house and living in another house built on back of the house on same plot... Kaushik Home Ownership 13 October 23rd 04 12:32 PM
dehumidifier Mindwipe UK diy 5 January 3rd 04 01:15 AM
Dehumidifier donald girod Home Repair 0 July 10th 03 01:35 PM