Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Straightening ceiling fan blades

On May 17, 2:12*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 17, 11:51 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 17, 9:55 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

The room is essentialy open to the outdors in humid Florida.
Blades are plastic. You have to pay attention to what you are
buying.

Charlie

Caveat emptor

Oh yeah. Great. NOW you tell me. ;-)

When SWMBO insisted that the fans would be fine outdoors even though
they
were obviously indoor fans, if was one of those, "We'll see" moments.
So
far, one's blades droop by two inches, the other is in danger of taking
off
Aunt Lucy's big hair.

I will get two sets at ReStore at $3 per set, and see how long they
last,
and in the meantime look for some that are intended for outdoor use.
I've
even seen indoor sets that droop.

And then there's balancing .................................

Thanks for the info, guys.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

When you buy the blades, will you also be buying the mounting
brackets?

Even if the mounting brackets line up with the holes in your motor,
the angle may be an issue.

Cheaper fans use low blade angles so they can use a cheaper motor.
Increasing the blade anlge might cost you more a lot more than $3 a
set.

The whole thing is a fool's errand, in my book, trying to make a silk
purse of a sow's ear. Steve's bimbo bought a cheap ass POS fan, and now
it's time to throw it away and buy a good one.- Hide quoted text -

A fool's errand can oft times be fun.

A little time in the shop making/fixing something that you might
otherwise buy can be very therapeutic.

Which feels better:

Saying "I made/fixed that." or saying "I bought that."?

Most of us in the group here are of an age where prioritizing our time
is important, because we don't feel quite so immortal anymore.

Since you have no clue how old I am, I don't see the point in bringing
up "age".

Regardless of a person's age, spending time in a shop building/fixing
something may very well be a priority. Why would sensing one's
mortality lead that person to "go shopping" instead "go building". In
fact, having a tool in your hand and making something instead of
buying it not only can be therapeutic regardless of your age, but it
might even make you feel better about your own mortality since you
will be leaving something that you made behind.

It's often great to fix or build, but a crappy old ceiling fan with warped
blades isn't something I'd spend 10 seconds on.

That's you and that's fine. But that has no bearing on how others
(young or old) might choose to spend what time they have left here on
earth.

It's always going to be crap, no matter what he does to it.

And if that's fine with him, then who are we to say that he shouldn't
spend his time fixing it?