Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Straightening ceiling fan blades

On May 16, 12:24*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 16, 11:52*am, N8N wrote:

On May 16, 11:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:

We put some fans out on our patio. *Over a few years, the blades have
drooped. *These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide.
They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.

Can they be straightened? *Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and
a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? *Other suggestions?

If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? *The local
ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll
take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. *But
just wondering if these can be salvaged.

Steve

I'd be tempted to see if you can get new ones of fiberglass or
plastic. *They're typically just a piece of flat stock with three
holes drilled in them. *If you're handy and have a source for some
suitable stock you can make them yourself. *Or have some made from
Damascus steel

nate

Took a few years to sag. *Flip them and he'll get that again minimum.
Making blades is just silly unless you have nothing better to do and
all the purchased ones will probably have the same problem eventually.- Hide quoted text -

I've had a fairly inexpensive fan in my kitchen for over 20 years and
the blades have not sagged one iota.

(I say "fairly inexpensive" because I remember thinking at the time
that my wife bought it "This is too cheap to last very long, but I'll
make her happy and put it up. Boy, was I wrong!)

The blades are indeed some type of pressed material. I know this
because I was trying to clean them once and the ultra thin layer of
paint started to wipe off and exposed the material underneath.

I primed and painted them to make them white again. Maybe that's why
they never sagged.

Perhaps that would be a good preventative maintenance step to take
before installing a fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:52*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

before installing a fan.- Hide quoted text -

His sagged because he has it on a porch where the humidity probably
gets high from time to time.