Posted to alt.home.repair

Default under cabinet kitchen counter lighting?

looking for ideas... trying to help someone remodel a kitchen. she
HATES the old under cabinet fluorescent fixtures with the buzzing,
flickering, etc. Last weekend I cut a box in the ceiling above her sink
so she could ditch an old surface mount fluorescent for a pendant type
fixture, you'd have thought that I painted the whole room for her as
happy as she seemed. So given that, are there any attractive fixtures,
either LED or fluorescent (with electronic ballasts of course) to hang
under your typical kitchen cabinets that can be hardwired and are not
extortionately expensive? what are good brands these days? I can do
the work but am not tapped into the world of electricians so I could use
some ideas to get started.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 7:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I'VE SEEN SOME DOUBLE & EVEN TRIPLE BI-PIN BULB FIXTURES THAT DONT
BUZZ.
IMO BUZZING IS GOOD IN THE KITCHEN THOUGH, WHO WANTS A QUIET
KITCHEN
CLINKITY CLANKITY AND BUZZITY WORKS FINE AROUND A FASHIZZLE :/

TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

** I like the under cabinet Xenon made by Counter Attack. They're line
voltage, with 35 watt lamps

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

The best I've seen are T4 flourescents (1/2" dia), easy to hide under
the cabinet, good color temperature and light distribution, good
efficiency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

looking for ideas... trying to help someone remodel a kitchen. she
HATES the old under cabinet fluorescent fixtures with the buzzing,
flickering, etc. Last weekend I cut a box in the ceiling above her sink
so she could ditch an old surface mount fluorescent for a pendant type
fixture, you'd have thought that I painted the whole room for her as
happy as she seemed. So given that, are there any attractive fixtures,
either LED or fluorescent (with electronic ballasts of course) to hang
under your typical kitchen cabinets that can be hardwired and are not
extortionately expensive? what are good brands these days? I can do
the work but am not tapped into the world of electricians so I could use
some ideas to get started.

thanks,

nate

LED? Flourescent? Dunno, but I like my 120V halogens. Really beautiful
light quality. Got 'em at HD several years ago and I think they still
carry them. Hockey puck type. Come in sets of 3 with a capacitive touch
button: Off, low, med, high. They do put out some heat which will
definitely find its way into the cupboard if you don't take steps to
prevent it. May or may not be an issue depending on what's in the
cupboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 6:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I have two undercounter fluorescents, one over the sink and one over
the main counter-top. They are up tight against the bollom of the
cabinets above them.. Then, I covered the skirst of those cabinets
with a flat piece of wood (oak) that matches the rest of the cabinets,
and cut a hole in the wood immediately beneath the lights and put a
piece of plastic diffuser in the opening. Using an electronic
ballast, there is no noise and virtually no heat, no flickering, and
the fixtures have been in place and used daily for many hours for more
than 6 years. I used pieces of oak baseboard for the perimeter of the
bottom plates that I made so that you do not see the raw edges. I can
send you a couple of photos if you want, just e-mail me privately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Only bad old unit buzzes. Flourescent are your best best and the
colors are great unlike the old grey lights. They are 75% more
efficient than incandesant and many out do leds. HD has a line of I
think GE brand that are designed as undercabinet and are cheap, you
can try and return it, I have been using them for nearly 20 years in
apartments and houses. Led, to expensive, Halogen - ineficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You're basically asking a subjectve question and you'll get opinions
for and against just about every choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My under-counter is lit by a six dollar fluorescent from
Walmart. I can't say as I've heard it buzz. Provides good
light. I could have cut the cord, and wire nutted it in, to
make it "hard wired". It has one slot on the outlet, the
toaster has the other.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley"
wrote in message

Only bad old unit buzzes. Flourescent are your best best
and the
colors are great unlike the old grey lights. They are 75%
more
efficient than incandesant and many out do leds. HD has a
line of I
think GE brand that are designed as undercabinet and are
cheap, you
can try and return it, I have been using them for nearly 20
years in
apartments and houses. Led, to expensive, Halogen -
ineficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For six bucks he can get a fluorescent, and see
if that does the job. But, some things work for
some people, and others..... you know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jamesgangnc"
wrote in message

You're basically asking a subjectve question and
you'll get opinions for and against just about every
choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

[...]

I use Cree LEDs and I see a bunch of ne models. I need 3000degrees or
under for nice warm light.
I am driving about 100ma or less with a small aluminum plate for
dissipation. Also use them in bath. They are ALWAYS on, and are on
battery backup. Like this....
http://www.ledsupply.com/creexpg-ww105.php

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"RBM" wrote in message

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't like fluorescent, halogen was too hot and bulbs didn't last long.
Finally, I went for line voltage "American Lighting" brand Xenon fixtures.
They are available in pucks and strips. Xenon bulbs last longer and don't
run as hot as halogen. Line voltage allows a dimmer to be used to control
several fixtures at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
looking for ideas... trying to help someone remodel a kitchen. she
HATES the old under cabinet fluorescent fixtures with the buzzing,
flickering, etc. Last weekend I cut a box in the ceiling above her sink
so she could ditch an old surface mount fluorescent for a pendant type
fixture, you'd have thought that I painted the whole room for her as
happy as she seemed. So given that, are there any attractive fixtures,
either LED or fluorescent (with electronic ballasts of course) to hang
under your typical kitchen cabinets that can be hardwired and are not
extortionately expensive? what are good brands these days? I can do the
work but am not tapped into the world of electricians so I could use
some ideas to get started.

thanks,

nate

I use string lights behind my countertop back splash. Lights up the wall
and undercounter. Can be used on a dimmer.

--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 12:03*pm, LSMFT wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

he ain't curing any of them.- Hide quoted text -

do you mean the kind in a plastic tube, or just bare-bulb like
"italian" christmas lites?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 12:04*pm, zek wrote:
[...]

Greg- Hide quoted text -

I like my LED lighting too. I didnt care much for the little wall wart
power supply that came with them so I replaced it with a little 1 amp
brick type power supply think it was made by Sola. I dont consider
these task lighting, really more for general illumination than
anything else but 90% + of the time it serves the purpose so the
incandescent lighting is mostly used for kitchen clean up.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 5, 4:46*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On May 5, 12:04*pm, zek wrote:

[...]

The same Cree led I use outside. I illuminate two trees with two LEDs
running 500 ma.
I want the new model in a 3 led something over 500 lumens for $16
bucks each. Trees light up more brightly because of the lens than with
a flood.

Greg