Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Wireless Xmtr/Rcvr For Sports Scoreboard

This might be OT, although the solution could certainly be used with a
home sound system, so maybe it's not.

The background:

Our high school just installed a scoreboard for our new Varsity
Softball field. The scoreboard controller talks to the scoreboard via
a cable that has a 1/4" TRS plug on each end.

http://www.planetronic.es/images/ak2563.jpg

One end plugs into the controller and the other end plugs into a jack
in the dugout. The jack is wired to the scoreboard in the outfield. I
opened the jack box and it's wired as expected...just 3 wires, one for
each "channel" of the TRS plug and a wire for the shield.

Unfortunately, they didn't ask anyone involved with the team which
dugout would be the home dugout and they installed the controller jack
in the visitor's dugout.

We are currently using a 20' cord so that the operator doesn't have to
sit in the visitor's dugout...he sits outside the dugout, but is still
on the visitor's side of the field.

We'd like to move the jack to the home dugout, but we can't get the
school to dig the trench and move the jack until after the season is
over.

The question:

Could we use a wireless transmitter and receiver in place of the cord?
If so, we could put the receiver in the visitor's dugout and plug it
into the jack and the transmitter would plug into the controller. The
range would be under 100' and the dugouts are made of concrete,
obviously open across the front.

The problem is, I don't know where to start looking for this type of
equipment, or even what I would need to know to spec it out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 9:47*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Umm... Clearly you have no clue about AV equipment...

Just go to a supply house and buy a 100' long TRS to TRS cable...

Bring the one you use now with you, as it sounds like you have
a system in which a shielded cable is an important integral
component...

They exist... It sounds like that would solve your problem...

As far as "moving" the jack, it would be cheaper for the school
to move the "visitor" and "home" signs on each dugout than it
would be to trench and have the installer for the scoreboard come
back out to rewire...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 10:22*am, Evan wrote:
[...]

Clearly you have no clue what I know about AV equipment...or dugouts.

A 100' cable would not be long enough to go around the backstop to the
other dugout. Maybe you'd like us to run it across home plate? 100' of
distance from xmtr to rcvr does not mean we could use a 100' cable.
We're talking more like 200' at a minimum.

Clearly, a 200' cable is an option, but not an option we wish to
employ. A 200' cable would be a pain to layout and pickup for each
game. We'd be dealing with mud, traffic patterns, etc.

"...it would be cheaper for the school to move the "visitor" and
"home" signs..."

Clearly, there's more to a dugout than just a "sign".

The 3rd base dugout was chosen as the Home dugout because of...

- The setting sun during late afternoon games and practices. The first
base dugout faces west, directly into the setting sun.

- The view of the scoreboard, which is down the first base line and
not viewable from the first base dugout.

- The proximity to the bleachers, the concessions, the rest rooms,
etc., all of which are located on the third base side.

If you don't have any suggestions directly related to the wireless
equipment asked about, please don't assume that you have a better
idea, because, clearly, you don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
This might be OT, although the solution could certainly be used with a
home sound system, so maybe it's not.

The background:

Our high school just installed a scoreboard for our new Varsity
Softball field. The scoreboard controller talks to the scoreboard via
a cable that has a 1/4" TRS plug on each end.

[snip]

Could we use a wireless transmitter and receiver in place of the cord?
If so, we could put the receiver in the visitor's dugout and plug it
into the jack and the transmitter would plug into the controller. The
range would be under 100' and the dugouts are made of concrete,
obviously open across the front.

The problem is, I don't know where to start looking for this type of
equipment, or even what I would need to know to spec it out.

I'd contact the manufacturer of the board and ask them about the peak/peak
voltages involved between the controller and the scoreboard. From there,
you might get an idea of whether or not a wireless serial controller would
work, which would be the easiest solution.

Alternatively, open the controller boxes on each end and trace the signal
path by the input/outputs to determine what type of protocols are being
used. You'll probably want to do this anyway, just to have a better idea of
what you are dealing with, unless the manufacturer is willing to give you
detailed technical specifications for the device.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 1:13*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:22*am, Evan wrote:

[...]

Well, if you wanted to be a prick about it:

NO!

Your device can not work wirelessly...
The currently installed connection isn't
"only on" when you press a button, it would
interfere with the sync between the controller
and the display board...

THERE!

Yes, I know all about scoreboards and AV wiring...

If a 200' cord is what is needed, then get that...

You can use zip ties to attach it to the backstop
fence up off the ground and leave it in place...

Oh wow...

As far as your other diatribe about which dug out
has to be which, sounds like fluff to me -- if you
want to have control of the scoreboard from the
home side, either install an extension cord to
be plugged in when needed OR move the home
dug out for a while...

Discussing the sunbeams and all that jazz tells
me that you really have other issues...

Also, FYI, a 100' cord is rather short for most
temporary outdoor sound applications, where
you wouldn't want to introduce any additional
connection points which can become exposed
to moisture...

I routinely used several 250' cables with TRS
connections on each end for portable speakers
for a football field... That was before Speakon
connectors became the standard for professional
audio connections...

So what is your issue with the least expensive
and most easy solution to deploy ?

If you have money in your pocket to burn, go
ahead man... But you don't have any clue
about AV equipment NOR wiring issues...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 10:22*am, Evan wrote:

[...]

You started it, I just followed your lead...

All I did was ask a question and you jumped right in with your
"Clearly you have no clue..." comment.

Take a look at Jon's post. That's kind of a different way to respond
to my question, now isn't it?

NO!

Your device can not work wirelessly...
The currently installed connection isn't
"only on" when you press a button, it would
interfere with the sync between the controller
and the display board...

THERE!

Yes, I know all about scoreboards and AV wiring...

If a 200' cord is what is needed, then get that...

As I said, I *know* it will work, I was just looking for other
options.

You can use zip ties to attach it to the backstop
fence up off the ground and leave it in place...

Yes, and we can replace it when it gets vandalized, and then replace
it again when it gets vandalized again, and then...oh, nevermind.

Oh wow...

As far as your other diatribe about which dug out
has to be which, sounds like fluff to me --

And just why do you say that?

Given the option of having the sun in your eyes every game or not,
which would *you* choose? The third base dugout has been the home
dugout for close to a decade, mainly because it has always faced north
(both at the old field and now at the new one.) All of the other
reasons I listed are just as valid. Oh, and BTW, *I* didn't choose the
third base dugout, nor did any other adult. The varsity girls
unanimously voted for the third base dugout, just as has every other
varsity team since the first dugout was built almost 10 years ago.

want to have control of the scoreboard from the
home side, either install an extension cord to
be plugged in when needed OR move the home
dug out for a while...

Discussing the sunbeams and all that jazz tells
me that you really have other issues...

Other than with you, no not really.

Also, FYI, a 100' cord is rather short for most
temporary outdoor sound applications, where
you wouldn't want to introduce any additional
connection points which can become exposed
to moisture...

I routinely used several 250' cables with TRS
connections on each end for portable speakers
for a football field... *That was before Speakon
connectors became the standard for professional
audio connections...

And you are telling me this, why? I know a 100' cord will work. In
fact, I "routinely" use a cord that's longer than 1000' for a PA
system at another youth-related activity I am involved with. (If you
want to talk about a PITA, reeling a 1000' cord in and out every other
weekend fits that description perfectly)

So what is your issue with the least expensive
and most easy solution to deploy ?

I believe I've addressed that question already. So what is your issue
with me investigating other options? Have you ever been curious about
alternative methods to accomplish a task?

If you have money in your pocket to burn, go
ahead man... *But you don't have any clue
about AV equipment NOR wiring issues...

If you only knew...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

ROFL...

More expert opinions from the sports AV king...

Sounds like there are other issues that are
complicating your life beyond your control
port being wired to the wrong dug out...

As far as the sun being in people's faces
I can suggest sunglasses...

Really... You think that rolling out a 1000'
cable is difficult... Wow...

Why not let the girls varsity softball team
decide how to proceed then, I mean they
seem to have been making most of the
decisions thus far...

Stick to the pep clubbing man...

Your major crisis you find yourself in would
have been entirely prevented *IF* actual
planning and coordination was involved in
your design/approval/build process when
your ball field was constructed...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 7:36*am, Evan wrote:
ROFL...

More expert opinions from the sports AV king...

Sounds like there are other issues that are
complicating your life beyond your control
port being wired to the wrong dug out...

As far as the sun being in people's faces
I can suggest sunglasses...

Talk about having no clue! If home team bench location was such a
minor issue, easily fixed by the simple use of sunglasses, multi-
million dollar sports organizations wouldn't be concerned with it.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-f...elocation.html

While I rarely use Wikipedia as a reference, sometimes they get it
right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugout_..._choice_in_MLB

Really... *You think that rolling out a 1000'
cable is difficult... *Wow...

I said PITA, not difficult. Look it up. Two very different things.
Wow...

Why not let the girls varsity softball team
decide how to proceed then, I mean they
seem to have been making most of the
decisions thus far...

You see...just another example you being the prick.

Stick to the pep clubbing man...

Your major crisis you find yourself in would
have been entirely prevented *IF* actual
planning and coordination was involved in
your design/approval/build process when
your ball field was constructed...

Oh, I forgot that you are Mr. Perfect and that nothing ever gets
missed or mis-understood in any and all projects that you are involved
in.

The field was built as part of a $66 million capital improvement
project across an entire school district. If someone making the
assumption that the home team dugout would be on the first base line
is the only issue that arises, I'd say we're doing pretty damn good.

FYI...I was not consulted prior to the installation of the jack, nor
should I have been. I'm a parent volunteer who simply noticed the
issue after the fields were turned over to the team. At this point,
all I'm doing is looking for options to rectify a *minor issue*, not a
"major crisis". Will the season be ruined if the jack is not moved
this season - or ever? Of course not. Would it be more convenient is
the scoreboard operator could be on same side of the field as the
official scorekeeper? Yep.

Quit being such a prick.

Have a Happy Easter

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The question in my mind is what is being communicated across the cable? Not
up on scoreboard technology, that would be the starting point.

If it's serial data then this company has a range of wireless solutions that
would help you out.

http://www.bb-elec.com/productcat.asp?topLevelid=3

--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem