Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default OT? Wireless Xmtr/Rcvr For Sports Scoreboard

DerbyDad03 wrote:
This might be OT, although the solution could certainly be used with a
home sound system, so maybe it's not.

The background:

Our high school just installed a scoreboard for our new Varsity
Softball field. The scoreboard controller talks to the scoreboard via
a cable that has a 1/4" TRS plug on each end.

[snip]

Could we use a wireless transmitter and receiver in place of the cord?
If so, we could put the receiver in the visitor's dugout and plug it
into the jack and the transmitter would plug into the controller. The
range would be under 100' and the dugouts are made of concrete,
obviously open across the front.

The problem is, I don't know where to start looking for this type of
equipment, or even what I would need to know to spec it out.

I'd contact the manufacturer of the board and ask them about the peak/peak
voltages involved between the controller and the scoreboard. From there,
you might get an idea of whether or not a wireless serial controller would
work, which would be the easiest solution.

Alternatively, open the controller boxes on each end and trace the signal
path by the input/outputs to determine what type of protocols are being
used. You'll probably want to do this anyway, just to have a better idea of
what you are dealing with, unless the manufacturer is willing to give you
detailed technical specifications for the device.

Jon