Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT? Wireless Xmtr/Rcvr For Sports Scoreboard

On Apr 23, 10:22*am, Evan wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:47*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This might be OT, although the solution could certainly be used with a
home sound system, so maybe it's not.

*The background:

Our high school just installed a scoreboard for our new Varsity
Softball field. The scoreboard controller talks to the scoreboard via
a cable that has a 1/4" TRS plug on each end.

http://www.planetronic.es/images/ak2563.jpg

One end plugs into the controller and the other end plugs into a jack
in the dugout. The jack is wired to the scoreboard in the outfield. I
opened the jack box and it's wired as expected...just 3 wires, one for
each "channel" of the TRS plug and a wire for the shield.

Unfortunately, they didn't ask anyone involved with the team which
dugout would be the home dugout and they installed the controller jack
in the visitor's dugout.

We are currently using a 20' cord so that the operator doesn't have to
sit in the visitor's dugout...he sits outside the dugout, but is still
on the visitor's side of the field.

We'd like to move the jack to the home dugout, but we can't get the
school to dig the trench and move the jack until after the season is
over.

The question:

Could we use a wireless transmitter and receiver in place of the cord?
If so, we could put the receiver in the visitor's dugout and plug it
into the jack and the transmitter would plug into the controller. The
range would be under 100' and the dugouts are made of concrete,
obviously open across the front.

The problem is, I don't know where to start looking for this type of
equipment, or even what I would need to know to spec it out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Umm... *Clearly you have no clue about AV equipment...

Just go to a supply house and buy a 100' long TRS to TRS cable...

Bring the one you use now with you, as it sounds like you have
a system in which a shielded cable is an important integral
component...

They exist... *It sounds like that would solve your problem...

As far as "moving" the jack, it would be cheaper for the school
to move the "visitor" and "home" signs on each dugout than it
would be to trench and have the installer for the scoreboard come
back out to rewire...

~~ Evan

"Clearly you have no clue about AV equipment"

Clearly you have no clue what I know about AV equipment...or dugouts.

A 100' cable would not be long enough to go around the backstop to the
other dugout. Maybe you'd like us to run it across home plate? 100' of
distance from xmtr to rcvr does not mean we could use a 100' cable.
We're talking more like 200' at a minimum.

Clearly, a 200' cable is an option, but not an option we wish to
employ. A 200' cable would be a pain to layout and pickup for each
game. We'd be dealing with mud, traffic patterns, etc.

"...it would be cheaper for the school to move the "visitor" and
"home" signs..."

Clearly, there's more to a dugout than just a "sign".

The 3rd base dugout was chosen as the Home dugout because of...

- The setting sun during late afternoon games and practices. The first
base dugout faces west, directly into the setting sun.

- The view of the scoreboard, which is down the first base line and
not viewable from the first base dugout.

- The proximity to the bleachers, the concessions, the rest rooms,
etc., all of which are located on the third base side.

If you don't have any suggestions directly related to the wireless
equipment asked about, please don't assume that you have a better
idea, because, clearly, you don't.