Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioner problem

It is me with problem with the upstairs heat pump again. When the
compressor comes on, the fan on the compressor starts. Usually within
a few seconds, the fan motor shuts off but the compressor keeps
running. Before the fan can completely spin down, the fan motor comes
on again. It often keeps repeating this, so it is only blowing out
the hot air about half the time the compressor is running. I think
this must hurt efficiency. What could be the problem?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 5:41*pm, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:42:32 -0400, Jan Philips wrote:
It is me with problem with the upstairs heat pump again. *When the
compressor comes on, the fan on the compressor starts. *Usually within a
few seconds, the fan motor shuts off but the compressor keeps running.
Before the fan can completely spin down, the fan motor comes on again.
It often keeps repeating this, so it is only blowing out the hot air
about half the time the compressor is running. *I think this must hurt
efficiency. *What could be the problem?

Has it always done this? Does it coincide with the outdoor temperature?
Also the fan doesn't need to force air through the condenser at certain
temperatures say below 50F

The title says AC problem, the body talks about heat pump. Which is
it
doing when the problem is ocurring, heating or cooling. If it's
doing
this in cooling mode, I'd say it's almost certainly a bad fan or the
wiring going to the fan. Not sure how the fan is used in heating
mode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The title says AC problem, the body talks about heat pump. Which is
it
doing when the problem is ocurring, heating or cooling. If it's
doing
this in cooling mode, I'd say it's almost certainly a bad fan or the
wiring going to the fan. Not sure how the fan is used in heating
mode.

Or possibly a high or low limit switch. I'm confused also on whether or not
he is heating or cooling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:41:28 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum"
wrote:

Has it always done this?

I am pretty sure it has not (but I can't be certain).

Does it coincide with the outdoor temperature?

It is hard to tell since we haven't had any really hot weather yet.
Highs have been mid 80s to low 90s.

Also the fan doesn't need to force air through the condenser at certain
temperatures say below 50F

This is when it is at least mid 80s.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:29:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The title says AC problem, the body talks about heat pump. Which is
it
doing when the problem is ocurring, heating or cooling. If it's
doing
this in cooling mode, I'd say it's almost certainly a bad fan or the
wiring going to the fan. Not sure how the fan is used in heating
mode.

It is a heat pump in A/C mode. I had a lot of problems with this unit
about 2 years ago and they replaced the fan motor twice, the
capacitor, and the thermostat. It doesn't act like a loose connection
because the on/off times seem consistent.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:53:05 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Or possibly a high or low limit switch. I'm confused also on whether or not
he is heating or cooling.

I've only noticed it when cooling, but this unit goes to the upstairs,
so it doesn't get used much as a heater.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has it always done this?

I am pretty sure it has not (but I can't be certain).

Does it coincide with the outdoor temperature?

It is hard to tell since we haven't had any really hot weather yet.
Highs have been mid 80s to low 90s.

Also the fan doesn't need to force air through the condenser at certain
temperatures say below 50F

This is when it is at least mid 80s.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I would think if it's in the mid 80s and in cooling mode
the condenser fan should be running 100% of the time
the compressor is on. A circuit diagram that shows
how the fan is powered would be the place to
start, or you could just follow the wires and/or
put a voltmeter on the fan and
see if it's the power to the fan or the fan that's
the issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:25:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I would think if it's in the mid 80s and in cooling mode
the condenser fan should be running 100% of the time
the compressor is on. A circuit diagram that shows
how the fan is powered would be the place to
start, or you could just follow the wires and/or
put a voltmeter on the fan and
see if it's the power to the fan or the fan that's
the issue.

That is beyond what I can do. I probably need to have a qualified A/C
repairman check it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2011 4:42 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
It is me with problem with the upstairs heat pump again. When the
compressor comes on, the fan on the compressor starts. Usually within
a few seconds, the fan motor shuts off but the compressor keeps
running. Before the fan can completely spin down, the fan motor comes
on again. It often keeps repeating this, so it is only blowing out
the hot air about half the time the compressor is running. I think
this must hurt efficiency. What could be the problem?

Could be a 2 speed fan with only the high speed working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:32*pm, Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:
On 4/21/2011 4:42 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

It is me with problem with the upstairs heat pump again. *When the
compressor comes on, the fan on the compressor starts. *Usually within
a few seconds, the fan motor shuts off but the compressor keeps
running. *Before the fan can completely spin down, the fan motor comes
on again. *It often keeps repeating this, so it is only blowing out
the hot air about half the time the compressor is running. *I think
this must hurt efficiency. *What could be the problem?

Could be a 2 speed fan with only the high speed working.

Great thought. IF the OP could contact the mfgr and get a wiring
diagram and post it, we could probably settle things quickly, but
right now everyone is shooting in the dark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2011 3:42 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
It is me with problem with the upstairs heat pump again. When the
compressor comes on, the fan on the compressor starts. Usually within
a few seconds, the fan motor shuts off but the compressor keeps
running. Before the fan can completely spin down, the fan motor comes
on again. It often keeps repeating this, so it is only blowing out
the hot air about half the time the compressor is running. I think
this must hurt efficiency. What could be the problem?

Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures. I include a
condenser fan cycling control on all standard AC units I install for
restaurants because the AC is usually run year round and the pressure
in the liquid line from the condenser needs to be kept high enough for
the AC to operate properly. Some conventional straight AC condensing
units have a two speed condenser fan motor and the control may actually
cycle the fan on and off if it's cold enough outdoors. You can spend
even more money and get a heat pump that has variable speed compressor
and fan motors. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:41:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures.

I need to time it, but I estimate that it is on for 10 seconds, off
for 10 seconds, etc. Would it cycle that quickly? And it is about
85F outside.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures.

I need to time it, but I estimate that it is on for 10 seconds, off
for 10 seconds, etc. Would it cycle that quickly? And it is about
85F outside.

If it's a pressure control, the rapid cycling at that temperature could
indicate a low refrigerant charge. Model number and information on
operation including diagram may show a pressure switch.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 00:12:57 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

If it's a pressure control, the rapid cycling at that temperature could
indicate a low refrigerant charge. Model number and information on
operation including diagram may show a pressure switch.

It is a Rheem RPKA-031JAZ. I searched for more info but didn't find
it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures.

I need to time it, but I estimate that it is on for 10 seconds, off
for 10 seconds, etc. *Would it cycle that quickly? *And it is about
85F outside.

If it's a pressure control, the rapid cycling at that temperature could
indicate a low refrigerant charge. Model number and information on
operation including diagram may show a pressure switch.

TDD

She made it clear a while back that it's cooling mode that she's
concerned about. And the very first post indicated that the
compressor stays on, while the FAN shuts off. That is most
certainly NOT a low refrigerant problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 10:57*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 4/22/2011 9:46 AM, wrote:

* *wrote:

Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures.

I need to time it, but I estimate that it is on for 10 seconds, off
for 10 seconds, etc. *Would it cycle that quickly? *And it is about
85F outside.

If it's a pressure control, the rapid cycling at that temperature could
indicate a low refrigerant charge. Model number and information on
operation including diagram may show a pressure switch.

TDD

She made it clear a while back that it's cooling mode that she's
concerned about. * And the very first post indicated that the
compressor stays on, while the FAN shuts off. *That is most
certainly NOT a low refrigerant problem.

Do you know anything about condenser fan cycling controls that operate
on what's commonly called head pressure? Look it up, try to understand
it then get back to someone like me who has about four decades
experience with refrigeration and HVAC equipment. Search "head pressure"
and "condenser fan cycling controls". If you have a problem
understanding it, I can explain it without calling you names or
questioning your parentage or brain power. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I never questioned your parentage or brain power. I do question your
ability
to read and follow a thread or provide usefull answers. Within a few
posts,
the OP stated that what she is talking about occurs during COOLING.
Yet you come along posting:

"Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which
will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures."

She said it's mid 80's outside, so what does that have to do with
Jan's
question?

" I include a
condenser fan cycling control on all standard AC units I install for
restaurants because the AC is usually run year round and the pressure
in the liquid line from the condenser needs to be kept high enough
for
the AC to operate properly."

Which has what to do with Jan's question?

" Some conventional straight AC condensing
units have a two speed condenser fan motor and the control may
actually
cycle the fan on and off if it's cold enough outdoors. You can spend
even more money and get a heat pump that has variable speed
compressor
and fan motors. :-) "

Which has what to do with Jan's question?

Since you have 40 years experience, presumably you can pull up
a schematic for this heat pump. If you can show us where it has
a fan control that relies on cycling the fan based on refrigerant
pressure in cooling mode, I'll conceed your point. Until then,
I doubt it does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2011 10:48 AM, wrote:
On Apr 22, 10:57 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 4/22/2011 9:46 AM, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You still missed it. I read her later answer about the temperature. I
know the time lines get messed up sometimes but I don't hold it against
you. I did look around a bit for a service manual online but I'm not
going to spend $10.00 to prove a point on Usenet. At first, I didn't
know the temperature outdoors until the OP answered me. So I was
operating on a faulty assumption about ambient temperature. This time of
year, the temperatures around the country can vary quite a bit. It
may hit 90° around here today but it was in the low 50's last week.
When the refrigerant charge is low in a unit of any kind, it's going to
behave erratically just like me. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 12:57*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 4/22/2011 10:48 AM, wrote:

On Apr 22, 10:57 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 4/22/2011 9:46 AM, wrote:

* * *wrote:

[...]

Ok, I'm cool with that and we can go back to being friends

In the hopes of helping Jan, here's a schematic I found which
is apparently for the same model, but smaller.

http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/339m2...-jaz-heat.html

Kind of hard to read, but if you try you can make out most of it.
The part on the right is fairly easy to follow. Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:07:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Ok, I'm cool with that and we can go back to being friends

Yes, please.

In the hopes of helping Jan, here's a schematic I found which
is apparently for the same model, but smaller.

That is the 19,000 BTU version instead of 31,000, but otherwise the
model number is the same (coded in the model number). I can't
interpret that - maybe someone can.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2011 12:07 PM, wrote:
On Apr 22, 12:57 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 4/22/2011 10:48 AM, wrote:

On Apr 22, 10:57 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 4/22/2011 9:46 AM, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I see the pressure switch for the condenser fan and under a low charge
condition with a warm outdoor temp, the condenser fan may go on and off.
The way a low ambient control,(the pressure switch) the symbol that
looks like a little bell is hung under a slash labeled "LAC", works is
the pressure in the condenser drops when the fan runs during cold
weather which will cause the pressure switch to open the circuit turning
the condenser fan off. When the pressure builds back up, the fan
comes back on. This ensures a pressure differential at the metering
device at the evaporator so the unit will operate properly. If you
understand this cycle, GROK what will happen during warm weather when
the Freon charge is low. The pressure switch is open because of low
pressure caused by low refrigerant and then builds as the compressor
runs until it becomes high enough to trip the pressure switch turning
the condenser fan on. The running fan causes the high side pressure to
drop thus tripping the pressure switch off which in turn cuts power to
the condenser fan and the cycle starts again. So you see, the fan will
cycle when pressure drops in cold weather or when the pressure increases
with a low Freon charge during warm weather. I hope I explained it well
enough.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

What TDD is describing is a PRESSURE or TEMPERATURE
activated FAN SWITCH. As such, if it were low refrigerant,
it could easily PROVIDE THOSE SYMPTOMS. In refrigeration
systems, that pressure SWITCH can also be CALLED a
headmaster.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
If it's a pressure control, the rapid cycling at that
temperature could
indicate a low refrigerant charge. Model number and
information on
operation including diagram may show a pressure switch.

TDD

She made it clear a while back that it's cooling mode that
she's
concerned about. And the very first post indicated that
the
compressor stays on, while the FAN shuts off. That is most
certainly NOT a low refrigerant problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

From WHAT I can tell, he DOES NOT know much about
refrigeration SYSTEMS.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Plenty TO DO WITH the question. You would BE WISE to
consider that TDD may VERY WELL be right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

When it is doing it, the fan motor runs for about 40 seconds then off
for about 15 seconds, etc. The compressor is on all of that time.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2011 3:22 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
When it is doing it, the fan motor runs for about 40 seconds then off
for about 15 seconds, etc. The compressor is on all of that time.

If it does this in warm weather, it could be an indication that the unit
is low on Freon because of the way the LAC pressure switch works. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Careful, you're likely to get an angry email from the other
fellow.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 4/23/2011 3:22 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
When it is doing it, the fan motor runs for about 40
seconds then off
for about 15 seconds, etc. The compressor is on all of
that time.

If it does this in warm weather, it could be an indication
that the unit
is low on Freon because of the way the LAC pressure switch
works. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2011 5:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Careful, you're likely to get an angry email from the other
fellow.

It's easy to check, I don't know what the problem with the guess would
be. I've retrofitted many AC units with LAC's so I think I may know some
of the quirks of the devices. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had the chance to work on some central AC, but heat
pumps less common in NYS. Be interesting to hear back, see
what the real problem was.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 4/23/2011 5:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Careful, you're likely to get an angry email from the
other
fellow.

It's easy to check, I don't know what the problem with the
guess would
be. I've retrofitted many AC units with LAC's so I think I
may know some
of the quirks of the devices. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:40:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

If it does this in warm weather, it could be an indication that the unit
is low on Freon because of the way the LAC pressure switch works. :-)

I'm going to try to get A/C maint to come next week.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If it does this in warm weather, it could be an indication that the unit
is low on Freon because of the way the LAC pressure switch works. :-)

I'm going to try to get A/C maint to come next week.

That's cool (no pun) so let us know what they find. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:50:10 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've had the chance to work on some central AC, but heat
pumps less common in NYS. Be interesting to hear back, see
what the real problem was.

I have a repairman coming tomorrow (Tuesday). Talking to him on the
phone, he suspects the defrost sensor (defrost indicator?)

--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Very possible. In any case, I'm curious what turns out to be
the problem. Please let us know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jan Philips" wrote in
message ...

I have a repairman coming tomorrow (Tuesday). Talking to
him on the
phone, he suspects the defrost sensor (defrost indicator?)

--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It is me with problem with the upstairs heat pump again.

The problem was the defrost unit (defrost indicator, defrost sensor,
whatever it is called). He had one of these on hand but used it
recently and had not received the replacement yet. So for the time
being he bypassed it, waiting for the part to come in.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like your tech knows what he's doing, and is
providing good service. And I (we?) thank you for sharing
what you learned.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jan Philips" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

It is me with problem with the upstairs heat pump again.

The problem was the defrost unit (defrost indicator, defrost
sensor,
whatever it is called). He had one of these on hand but
used it
recently and had not received the replacement yet. So for
the time
being he bypassed it, waiting for the part to come in.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 07:57:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sounds like your tech knows what he's doing, and is
providing good service. And I (we?) thank you for sharing
what you learned.

Yes, and thank you all.

I think this was the cause of the problem that I had two years ago
when it was putting out hot air (not just room temp). Another repair
place came out 5 times, replaced several things, and never seemed to
get to the heart of it. I disconnected the heat strips at the
thermostat and at least that kept it from putting out hot air.

This guy said that it sounded like the defrost thing over the phone,
and he went right to it. I lowered the thermostat to make it come on,
it started that cycling, and with his electrical meter after two
cycles he said "that's it".
--
Replace you know what by j to email