Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioner problem

On 4/22/2011 10:48 AM, wrote:
On Apr 22, 10:57 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 4/22/2011 9:46 AM, wrote:

On Apr 22, 1:12 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 4/21/2011 11:41 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:41:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures.

I need to time it, but I estimate that it is on for 10 seconds, off
for 10 seconds, etc. Would it cycle that quickly? And it is about
85F outside.

If it's a pressure control, the rapid cycling at that temperature could
indicate a low refrigerant charge. Model number and information on
operation including diagram may show a pressure switch.

TDD

She made it clear a while back that it's cooling mode that she's
concerned about. And the very first post indicated that the
compressor stays on, while the FAN shuts off. That is most
certainly NOT a low refrigerant problem.

Do you know anything about condenser fan cycling controls that operate
on what's commonly called head pressure? Look it up, try to understand
it then get back to someone like me who has about four decades
experience with refrigeration and HVAC equipment. Search "head pressure"
and "condenser fan cycling controls". If you have a problem
understanding it, I can explain it without calling you names or
questioning your parentage or brain power. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I never questioned your parentage or brain power. I do question your
ability
to read and follow a thread or provide usefull answers. Within a few
posts,
the OP stated that what she is talking about occurs during COOLING.
Yet you come along posting:

"Most heat pumps are setup to cycle the condenser fan motor which
will
cut on and off during moderate to cold outdoor temperatures."

She said it's mid 80's outside, so what does that have to do with
Jan's
question?

" I include a
condenser fan cycling control on all standard AC units I install for
restaurants because the AC is usually run year round and the pressure
in the liquid line from the condenser needs to be kept high enough
for
the AC to operate properly."

Which has what to do with Jan's question?

" Some conventional straight AC condensing
units have a two speed condenser fan motor and the control may
actually
cycle the fan on and off if it's cold enough outdoors. You can spend
even more money and get a heat pump that has variable speed
compressor
and fan motors. :-) "

Which has what to do with Jan's question?

Since you have 40 years experience, presumably you can pull up
a schematic for this heat pump. If you can show us where it has
a fan control that relies on cycling the fan based on refrigerant
pressure in cooling mode, I'll conceed your point. Until then,
I doubt it does.

You still missed it. I read her later answer about the temperature. I
know the time lines get messed up sometimes but I don't hold it against
you. I did look around a bit for a service manual online but I'm not
going to spend $10.00 to prove a point on Usenet. At first, I didn't
know the temperature outdoors until the OP answered me. So I was
operating on a faulty assumption about ambient temperature. This time of
year, the temperatures around the country can vary quite a bit. It
may hit 90° around here today but it was in the low 50's last week.
When the refrigerant charge is low in a unit of any kind, it's going to
behave erratically just like me. ^_^

TDD