Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner problem - do I need a run capacitor ?

I have an older a/c unit. Last year it was functioning just fine. This
year, as it's running, the lights in the house dim on and off, just
slightly.

This didn't happen while the furnace was running so I ruled out the
blower motor.

I suspect that this is caused by a/c motor run capacitor. Does this
make sense ?

I have little electrical experience but I did stay at Holiday Inn
Express a few times

Posted to alt.home.repair

The guys at www.allexperts.com helped me fix mine last year.

Capacitor @ 2/$5.00 VS the $275.00 quote for a new motor

I have an older a/c unit. Last year it was functioning just fine. This
year, as it's running, the lights in the house dim on and off, just
slightly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, doesn't make much sense at all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Passerby" wrote in message
I have an older a/c unit. Last year it was functioning just
fine. This
year, as it's running, the lights in the house dim on and
off, just
slightly.

This didn't happen while the furnace was running so I ruled
out the
blower motor.

I suspect that this is caused by a/c motor run capacitor.
Does this
make sense ?

I have little electrical experience but I did stay at
Holiday Inn
Express a few times

Posted to alt.home.repair

AC fan motor doesn't draw all that much juice. Not enough to
dim the lights. If the compressor capacitor went bad, the AC
wouldn't cool.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
No, doesn't make much sense at all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Why not ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
No, doesn't make much sense at all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Why not ?

I just had the same problem, including the lights dimming on and off!
It was the capacitor...After we replaced, the unit runs fine!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reality can be so much different, I guess. I can imagine a
compressor run cap being bad, and causing the lights to dim.
Central AC compressors take a lot of amps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus