Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swimming Pool Polaris

My swimming pool polaris has stopped moving. The pump appears to be
working but the polaris is not working. The hole where we connect the
polaris is not getting any water flowing through it. The pump was
replaced a few years ago. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or
what we could or should try before calling a pool person or buying
another pump?
Thanks....................
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2011 1:26 PM, trax wrote:
My swimming pool polaris has stopped moving. The pump appears to be
working but the polaris is not working. The hole where we connect the
polaris is not getting any water flowing through it. The pump was
replaced a few years ago. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or
what we could or should try before calling a pool person or buying
another pump?
Thanks....................

It's not getting any flow? Does your booster pump work independently of
the main pump? Any chance a valve is shut?

I'd disconnect the pump (whole assembly) and take it to a pool supply
store for testing. Be sure your power is shut off at the breaker panel
first.

On my system, I'd guess the pump propeller is stuck and not allowing
water to flow though the Polaris input. Since the pump motor is running
it must have come loose from the propeller or that water is going some
where.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 3:02*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:26:51 -0700 (PDT), trax
wrote:

My swimming pool polaris has stopped moving. *The pump appears to be
working but the polaris is not working. *The hole where we connect the
polaris is not getting any water flowing through it. *The pump was
replaced a few years ago. *Any suggestions on what could be wrong or
what we could or should try before calling a pool person or buying
another pump?
Thanks....................

You mean the sweeper and not the pool pump?

Pick your model number here and check the solutions....

http://www.swimmingpoolparts.net/polaris_pool_cleaners_faqs.htm

If the booster pump is running, first thing I'd do is open a
connection
at the pump output, turn it on and see if you have water flowing
there. If not and the motor is turning, then I'd agree with Jim that
the impeller is likely spun. You can probably disassemble the
pump and get the appropriate replacement impeller, gaskets,
seals, etc. Should be a relatively easy fix. You could probably
replace the whole pump for less that it would cost for the service
call to have a pool company do the work. You can find new
pumps online at decent prices and to swap out the whole thing
is a lot easier than repairing the pump.

And if you call a pool company there is a good
chance they could wind up changing the pump too. In which
case you wind up with a new pump at list, plus the service call.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Pool service call is a minimum $90 just to come look at it here. Some
are as high as $125. My booster is held onto the housing with 6 bolts
and the elec. cable. All I would have to do is disconnect the 6 bolts
and the cable and go to Pool Warehouse where they will fix it for free
except for the parts, which are usually not cheap.

I'm not sure how the OPs is setup but it seems to me there must be a
valve seperating the main pump from the booster if there is "no flow".
Maybe the pump isn't priming. Maybe he just needs to clean a basket.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 7:24*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:47:33 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

[...]

I don't know if it is an impeller on the pump. OP can tell us the
water circulates in the pool with a valve turned or something.

If I replace my motor (maybe):

"NV Energy provides $300 rebates on energy-efficient variable-speed
residential pool pumps and $75 rebate for seasonal set-back timers
(for single-speed or two-speed pumps). Replacing a single-speed pump
with an energy-efficient variable-speed pump:

saves up to 80% on energy costs

prolongs pump life; variable speed pumps run cooler and quieter

allows filter to works more efficiently, keeping the water cleaner

2011 Pool Pump Rebates:

$300 for efficient variable-speed pump (Comes with free calibration)

$75 for seasonal approved set-back timers for single-speed or
two-speed pumps. (Only for certain timers).

http://www.nvenergy.com/saveenergy/home/rebates/poolpumps.cfm

Key words - variable-speed- Hide quoted text -

Except that this pump is for the polaris pool cleaner, which has to
run
at full speed to make the polaris work. For the main pool pump, I
agree a variable speed can save 50-80% on energy usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

After talking to the suppliers I decided against the var speed pump.
You'll have reduced water flow plus they are expensive as hell. But
YMMV. We don't get much of a rebate here and I would have to jump
through hoops to get it.

Jim