Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring second kitchen

On Apr 21, 6:51*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 21, 6:39*pm, "
wrote:

On Apr 21, 1:52*pm, Joe wrote:

On Apr 20, 2:49*pm, cln wrote:

My wife has ventured into cake baking and we are building a second
kitchen in a unfinished part of the basement. I did the framing but I
draw the line at electrical work so I will be getting this done by a
professional.
snip

Whoa there...
You may be setting yourself up for a real problem. Consider this
scenario: you get the work done, the bake shop has some success and a
reporter from your Daily Tattler does a nice article in the Homemakers
section of the paper. People at City Hall notice and find there is no
business permit, state sales tax number, permits for any of the home
modifications (maybe excepting electrical, hopefully), food service
permit, updated tax assessment, and numerous other ordinance
violations. Guess what might happen next.
All of this may not matter if it's just a hobby, but if not, then it
would be wise to sit down with the family lawyer and set up an S
Corporation and go through the usual steps of setting up a business.

An S corporation doesn't do anything to solve getting a business
permit, collect state sales tax , permits, updated tax assessment
or numerous other possible ordinance violations. *There are
plenty of small businesses that are sole proprietorships.

Renting some commercial space is easy these days with the business
climate as poor as it is.

Renting commercial space has always been easy. *The problem is
what it costs and the improvements one has to put in to make it
into what one needs. *Plus, if the business goes kaput, a lot of
what you put into any commercial space is gone. *But you still
may be stuck with a 3 or 5 year lease.

And also he never said the wife is opening a bake shop.
* For all we know, she could be
baking some cakes for monthly church suppers or cub scout
bake sales. * Few people would set up an S corp for that.

Tangling with bureaucrats is never fun because they nearly always
prevail.
I will pass on your original question because there are some good
opinions already posted here.
Joe- Hide quoted text -

Well if its a small baking for others it might be better to gut and
upgrade the existing kitchen. Make it a real showplace adds
significant value to the home without generating zoning issues- Hide quoted text -

Even aside from any zoning issues, that's an idea worth
considering, assuming there is enough room to do what
is wanted, eg bigger and or dual/ovens in the
existing kitchen. Unless it can be
made into a mother/daughter, the money spent on a
kitchen in the basement could be mostly a waste.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2011 6:28 PM, wrote:
On Apr 21, 6:51 pm, bob wrote:
On Apr 21, 6:39 pm,
wrote:

On Apr 21, 1:52 pm, wrote:

On Apr 20, 2:49 pm, wrote:

[...]

unless that's what you want or need.

--
Steve Barker

Kitchen Wiring AT[_4_] Home Repair 11 June 1st 08 03:44 AM
Kitchen Remodel Wiring [email protected] Home Repair 11 October 30th 05 03:29 AM
Wiring kitchen ring query when kitchen part installed Jonathan UK diy 0 April 26th 05 05:56 PM
Wiring in kitchen [email protected] UK diy 4 April 1st 05 12:48 AM
help kitchen cooker wiring belgarion UK diy 5 March 2nd 04 12:05 PM