Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying universal light kit for ceiling fan

A few months ago I purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan from HD, only
the fan, no light.
Now I would like to add a light kit. I have seen light kits at HD made
by Hampton Bay, but not the kind I like.
I have seen other light kits I like that claim to be "universal" and
will fit any fan. Do these universal kits actually fit the fan good ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
A few months ago I purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan from HD, only
the fan, no light.
Now I would like to add a light kit. I have seen light kits at HD made
by Hampton Bay, but not the kind I like.
I have seen other light kits I like that claim to be "universal" and
will fit any fan. Do these universal kits actually fit the fan good ?

** They pretty much fit any fan with a bottom junction box that has a 1/8"
threaded hole in the bottom. Depending upon the fixture, they usually fit in
a similar fashion to a fixture that would come with that type of fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 7:17*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

A few months ago I purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan from HD, only
the fan, no light.
Now I would like to add a light kit. I have seen light kits at HD made
by Hampton Bay, but not the kind I like.
I have seen other light kits I like that claim to be "universal" and
will fit any fan. Do these universal kits actually fit the fan good ?

** They pretty much fit any fan with a bottom junction box that has a 1/8"
threaded hole in the bottom. Depending upon the fixture, they usually fit in
a similar fashion to a fixture that would come with that type of fan.

buy one and try it, return it if it doesnt fit.

I had a hampton bay light that wasnt standard and finally cobbled
together a couple light kits to make one that fit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 5:44*am, Mikepier wrote:
A few months ago I purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan from HD, only
the fan, no light.
Now I would like to add a light kit. I have seen light kits at HD made
by Hampton Bay, but not the kind I like.
I have seen other light kits I like that claim to be "universal" and
will fit any fan. Do these universal kits actually fit the fan good ?

Look carefully at the bottom of your fan to see what possible type of
connections could be made. Then look at the light you are thinking
about buying and see if there is a corresponding fitting. Probably a
threaded rod type of fitting. If you unpack the lamp kit and it
doesn't fit, then if it is sold as UNIVERSAL, and it doesn't work, you
have good grounds for returning it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 2:17*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 16, 5:44*am, Mikepier wrote:

A few months ago I purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan from HD, only
the fan, no light.
Now I would like to add a light kit. I have seen light kits at HD made
by Hampton Bay, but not the kind I like.
I have seen other light kits I like that claim to be "universal" and
will fit any fan. Do these universal kits actually fit the fan good ?

Look carefully at the bottom of your fan to see what possible type of
connections could be made. *Then look at the light you are thinking
about buying *and see if there is a corresponding fitting. *Probably a
threaded rod type of fitting. *If you unpack the lamp kit and it
doesn't fit, then if it is sold as UNIVERSAL, and it doesn't work, you
have good grounds for returning it.

The Hampton Bay fan I have now has a "blank" cap held on by 3 screws,
so I would need a light kit with similiar mounting screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 2:17 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

**There is probably a plastic cover on the very bottom of that "cap", which
pops off, exposing a 1/8" threaded hole, which is for mounting a universal
light fixture. You may have to disconnect the cap to punch the blank off
from the inside. If you don't have this threaded hole on the bottom of the
cap, a universal light fixture doesn't mount to that fan.