Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Short grounding wires

An open basement ceiling has an octagonal box that serves (and has)
the basement ceiling lights with three conductors coming in/out of it,
and the copper grounding wires were wrapped around the metal cable
holder (one on each side) and cut, so the grounding wires on each are
not much longer than one inch or so. I'd like to add a single
conductor to a wall switch to the box, and I'm wondering how to hook
up the new grounding wire. Normally, I'd have the new wire go through
one of those special grounding wire wire nuts to a box screw, with the
other grounding wires wrapped around it in the wire nut, but the
others here are too short. Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/15/2011 6:58 PM, terphenyl wrote:

...Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?

Sure, any approved connector can be used. But, there's no reqm'nt that
you _must_ use a wire nut; you can just twist and tape; wire nuts are
just the quick 'n easy way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

terphenyl wrote:
An open basement ceiling has an octagonal box that serves (and has)
the basement ceiling lights with three conductors coming in/out of it,
and the copper grounding wires were wrapped around the metal cable
holder (one on each side) and cut, so the grounding wires on each are
not much longer than one inch or so. I'd like to add a single
conductor to a wall switch to the box, and I'm wondering how to hook
up the new grounding wire. Normally, I'd have the new wire go through
one of those special grounding wire wire nuts to a box screw, with the
other grounding wires wrapped around it in the wire nut, but the
others here are too short. Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?

How about a set screw wire nut? Picture he
http://tinyurl.com/45yoryk Run the wires in from opposite ends and
leave the cap off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 4/15/2011 6:58 PM, terphenyl wrote:

...Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?

Sure, any approved connector can be used. But, there's no reqm'nt that
you _must_ use a wire nut; you can just twist and tape; wire nuts are just
the quick 'n easy way.

**They are required to be held together by an approved splicing device, or
screwed to a metal box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terphenyl" wrote in message
An open basement ceiling has an octagonal box that serves (and has)
the basement ceiling lights with three conductors coming in/out of it,
and the copper grounding wires were wrapped around the metal cable
holder (one on each side) and cut, so the grounding wires on each are
not much longer than one inch or so. I'd like to add a single
conductor to a wall switch to the box, and I'm wondering how to hook
up the new grounding wire. Normally, I'd have the new wire go through
one of those special grounding wire wire nuts to a box screw, with the
other grounding wires wrapped around it in the wire nut, but the
others here are too short. Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?

Buchanan makes a small brass crimp connector. They call them "splice cap
crimp connectors" . We call them beer barrels

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2011 7:58 PM, terphenyl wrote:
An open basement ceiling has an octagonal box that serves (and has)
the basement ceiling lights with three conductors coming in/out of it,
and the copper grounding wires were wrapped around the metal cable
holder (one on each side) and cut, so the grounding wires on each are
not much longer than one inch or so. I'd like to add a single
conductor to a wall switch to the box, and I'm wondering how to hook
up the new grounding wire. Normally, I'd have the new wire go through
one of those special grounding wire wire nuts to a box screw, with the
other grounding wires wrapped around it in the wire nut, but the
others here are too short. Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?

One of you code wizards please jump in here- this place, like most of
the places I saw built growing up, has the boxes grounded that exact
same way, and the devices are grounded via their mounting tabs to the
metal box. It USED to be code-legal, at least here in midwest. When did
it become not legal? Is old work grandfathered, or are you supposed to
screw around redoing the old wires whenever you open a box? Other than
in damp locations where the touch points could get corroded, or if they
were installed improperly and don't make good contact, why would the old
way provide any less protection?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 8:11*pm, dpb wrote:
On 4/15/2011 6:58 PM, terphenyl wrote:

...Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. *Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?

Sure, any approved connector can be used. *But, there's no reqm'nt that
you _must_ use a wire nut; you can just twist and tape; wire nuts are
just the quick 'n easy way.

--

Sounds like a small split bolt might work. I have a few of these with
a tapped hole on the backside so that you can screw them to the box.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

** One would have to know when this was installed, to know what the
requirements were at the time. Typically electrical wiring is grandfathered,
if it was done properly to begin with, however it's advisable to correct any
issues at locations where you're upgrading or extending

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 7:20*pm, Dean Hoffman wrote:
terphenyl wrote:
[...]

I puzzled as to why you would add a single conductor to a wall
switch. Then what happens past the wall switch, how does the wire
continue on, or whatever.