Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Short grounding wires

On Apr 15, 7:20*pm, Dean Hoffman wrote:
terphenyl wrote:
An open basement ceiling has an octagonal box that serves (and has)
the basement ceiling lights with three conductors coming in/out of it,
and the copper grounding wires were wrapped around the metal cable
holder (one on each side) and cut, so the grounding wires on each are
not much longer than one inch or so. *I'd like to add a single
conductor to a wall switch to the box, and I'm wondering how to hook
up the new grounding wire. *Normally, I'd have the new wire go through
one of those special grounding wire wire nuts to a box screw, with the
other grounding wires wrapped around it in the wire nut, but the
others here are too short. *Adding a wire nut/new pigtail to the older
ones, and then another wire nut to link them all together will fill
the box. *Is there a different way of extending grounding wires such
as a brass crimp connector?

* * *How about a set screw wire nut? *Picture he
* *http://tinyurl.com/45yoryk* *Run the wires in from opposite ends and
leave the cap off.

I puzzled as to why you would add a single conductor to a wall
switch. Then what happens past the wall switch, how does the wire
continue on, or whatever.