Old April 14th 11, 06:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to replace coax cable. Need advice.

The coaxial cable for cable tv that goes to my second floor tvs needs
to be replaced. The coax cable somehow runs up onto my roof, through
the attic, and then connects to a splitter in the attic. The cable is
hidden in some places and runs through small holes. The cable company
told me it would cost me a lot if they replaced it. After the lousy
service I've had from them in the past and the fact that they step on
the ducts running through the attic, I'd actually prefer to replace
this cable myself.

How difficult would it be for me to replace this cable? It looks
fairly easy except for in the few places it's hidden along with the
fact that I don't know how to get it through some of the holes. I
figure they must use some special device for running it through the
holes in the walls. I think I can get my father to help with this
project. I'd just like to know how hard it would be and what kind of
tools I'd need. I also don't want to remove the existing cable until I
can get the new one in. I don't know if two coax cables will fit
through the holes. Any thoughts?

Old April 14th 11, 07:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Jo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
What is the reason to replace the cable? You will need snake and some
creative maneuvering.
Old April 14th 11, 11:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jo" wrote
. I also don't want to remove the existing cable until I
can get the new one in. I don't know if two coax cables will fit
through the holes. Any thoughts?

That is a potential problem. I'd use the old cable to pull the new one
through. It would make the job much easier.

Old April 14th 11, 12:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 4:53*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jo" wrote

. I also don't want to remove the existing cable until I
can get the new one in. I don't know if two coax cables will fit
through the holes. Any thoughts?

That is a potential problem. *I'd use the old cable to pull the new one
through. *It would make the job much easier.

My only concern with that is if for some reason there's a problem
installing the new cable and we take out the old one, I won't be able
to watch tv.

So how would I use the old one to pull the new one through? Would I
connect the two with a coupler (or joiner - whatever they're called)
and then just gently pull the cable through?

The cable guy came out a few weeks ago to fix an unrelated problem and
he checked the signal and said the signal was low on the cable that
goes onto the roof. He said it needs to be replaced asap. He was
really concerned about, I don't know why exactly. There's no problem
with the picture though. That particular cable is 20 years old and
part of it is exposed on the roof. So it gets baked in the hot summer
sun. Then most of the rest of it goes through the hot attic. The
picture is actually a bit worse in the summer because of that.
Old April 14th 11, 12:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jo" wrote in message
[...]

** It may be that the cable is an older RG-59U, and not adequate for
transmitting a decent picture today. If there is no clear path to run a new
cable it could be a difficult job, even for an experienced person. It's
doubtful that you can just connect a new cable to the existing one and pull
it, as there are usually some staples involved

Old April 14th 11, 01:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jo wrote:
[...]

You're contemplating a 200-curseword job on the say-so of a CABLE GUY?

Who you've already said is incompetent?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Geeze!

Old April 14th 11, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 6:45*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Jo" wrote in message

[...]

it, as there are usually some staples involved- Hide quoted text -

Also, it sounds like the part of the cable that has been identified
as
bad runs across the outside of the roof, then goes inside the attic
to a splitter. I'd replace that part of the run first and see how it
works then. It's possible that this exposed cable is the main
problem. It's also probably the longest run too, so losses there
will add up more than shorter runs to rooms from the attic.

For doing the rest, if you have attic access above INTERIOR
walls, it's generally not too difficult. Outside walls with
insulation are a problem. An alternative with some rooms
could be to place a new cable outlet in a spot with an
interior wall. I'm sure if you google for "running TV coax
cable, etc you will find tips, videos, etc.
Old April 14th 11, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 8:26*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 14, 6:45*am, "RBM" wrote:

"Jo" wrote in message

[...]

cable, etc you will find tips, videos, etc.- Hide quoted text -

lets say you try to replace it yourself and you fail Use old cable
to pull new cable! screw together using coax connector double male.
Then duct tape both cables together so they cant seperate.

If you fail run cable thru windows to upstairs till you get a pro to
finish / fix job.

I would investigate running the cable a different way! like out of
basement up side of wall.

The appropiate question for the cable guy isnt how much to replace
line

Its how much to run a new line to the same area?
Old April 14th 11, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

My only concern with that is if for some reason there's a problem
installing the new cable and we take out the old one, I won't
be able to watch tv...

Try reading some books on this instead of watching TV...

http://www.amazon.com/Data-Voice-Vid.../dp/1428334726

http://www.amazon.com/Wiring-House-P.../dp/1561585270

Old April 14th 11, 04:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jo wrote:
On Apr 14, 4:53 am, "Ed wrote:
wrote

[...]

Bad cable is rare case, bad splitters can cause signal loss big time,
loose connection too.

Coax cable Simon \(Dark Angel\) UK diy 9 March 26th 09 01:02 AM
Cable TV and coax splitters - Hookup splitter to Digital Cable JTT Home Repair 1 August 24th 07 04:15 AM
Want to replace old flat tv cable with better coax. jg Home Repair 49 February 17th 06 02:39 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 12:44 PM
For the Cable Guys: Coax cable Splitter Q. Michael Stoic Home Repair 6 January 25th 05 03:28 PM