Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Idea

Here's an interesting deck cover that I saw on a homeowner survey inspection
this past weekend.

The deck would allow for air circulation, and pressure relief during high
winds. It would not offer any rain protection. The angle would be good for
snow to fall off.

It is very interesting on several levels. First, it is all formed from bent
sheet metal, but of a slightly thicker dimension. I found one place where
the paint was peeling, and it was plain galvanized underneath. Perhaps it
could be done out of PaintLock sheeting.

Nextly, if you notice on some of the pictures, it actually does not serve
its purpose, and that is to provide shade during the hottest portion of the
day and summer. The slats are not aligned in conjunction with the sun
angles, but rather to follow the contour of the pool house building.

Nextly, it is all screwed together, an aid for those who don't weld, or have
access to a welder.

Just a thought, but my wife and I are considering something like this,
perhaps with the diagonal portions made to be moveable with the change of
seasons, and even fold completely flat. It would not be a great thing
blocking rain. I have seen some locally made ones from a professional
company, and they do have sealing bulbs, but I don't believe they would
perform 100%. Plus, the cost on them is high, although not prohibitive.

Just an idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Color me confused.

Why are you considering something like this if it fails at 2 tasks
that would normally be expected of a porch cover?

Sun protection and rain protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 3:17*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 13, 2:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I agree.

It looks like an expensive piece of uselessness.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

The one's I've seen have vertical slats (usually 2x8s) set E-W so they do
block the sun in the hottest part of the day. These look like there would be
significant lift in high winds that could make a mess of everything close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:41 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I would work with a big blue tarp and some old tires on top......