Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Deck Idea

Here's an interesting deck cover that I saw on a homeowner survey inspection
this past weekend.

The deck would allow for air circulation, and pressure relief during high
winds. It would not offer any rain protection. The angle would be good for
snow to fall off.

It is very interesting on several levels. First, it is all formed from bent
sheet metal, but of a slightly thicker dimension. I found one place where
the paint was peeling, and it was plain galvanized underneath. Perhaps it
could be done out of PaintLock sheeting.

Nextly, if you notice on some of the pictures, it actually does not serve
its purpose, and that is to provide shade during the hottest portion of the
day and summer. The slats are not aligned in conjunction with the sun
angles, but rather to follow the contour of the pool house building.

Nextly, it is all screwed together, an aid for those who don't weld, or have
access to a welder.

Just a thought, but my wife and I are considering something like this,
perhaps with the diagonal portions made to be moveable with the change of
seasons, and even fold completely flat. It would not be a great thing
blocking rain. I have seen some locally made ones from a professional
company, and they do have sealing bulbs, but I don't believe they would
perform 100%. Plus, the cost on them is high, although not prohibitive.

Just an idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Heart surgery pending?