Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to find pool tiles

I am trying to find pool tiles on the internet.
I am looking for ideas on how to find pool tiles for a pool build 17
years ago.
Basically, I have a mosaic pattern made up of two types.
One type is a 2"x2" square with a corner cut out which will
accommodate a circular (1.5" diameter) piece.
The second type is a rectangular tile, 2"x1".
Both are in a aqua blue color.
I have been looking at patterns on www.ebay.com and www.google.com for
hours.
How do I find such a thing? Any good ideas on how to formulate a good
search?
I am thinking of joining a ceramics class so that I can make a dozen.
Any other ideas?

http://deodiaus.tripod.com/tile.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 3:51 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I am trying to find pool tiles on the internet.
I am looking for ideas on how to find pool tiles for a pool build 17
years ago.
Basically, I have a mosaic pattern made up of two types.
One type is a 2"x2" square with a corner cut out which will
accommodate a circular (1.5" diameter) piece.
The second type is a rectangular tile, 2"x1".
Both are in a aqua blue color.
I have been looking at patterns on www.ebay.com and www.google.com for
hours.
How do I find such a thing? Any good ideas on how to formulate a good
search?
I am thinking of joining a ceramics class so that I can make a dozen.
Any other ideas?

http://deodiaus.tripod.com/tile.htm

Are you trying to replace tiles that have come losoe?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://deodiaus.tripod.com/tile.htm

Are you trying to replace tiles that have come losoe?

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yes, some are lost, others are broken and don't fit.
I was thinking of retileing one section using a different pattern.
BTW, how does one adhere them. I am using epoxy because grout seems
to get disolved by the pool chemicals in a year or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 5:00 PM, Deodiaus wrote:

http://deodiaus.tripod.com/tile.htm

Are you trying to replace tiles that have come losoe?

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yes, some are lost, others are broken and don't fit.
I was thinking of retileing one section using a different pattern.
BTW, how does one adhere them. I am using epoxy because grout seems
to get disolved by the pool chemicals in a year or so.

Last time I adhered tiled I think I used thin-set. Appears to work.

Pool grout is usually available at a pool supply store.

The reason I asked about the replacement tiles is you are most likely
not going to find a match. Stranger things have happened though.

I was told the best place to get replacement tiles is to use the tile
inside your skimmers (assuming there is any). I have a row I could take
out and replace with a different tile or plaster to repair more obvious
places.

Since you're thinking of re-tiling a section with another pattern you
might be able to harvest some tile for your repair job.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 6:38*pm, JimT wrote:
[...]

No, actually, the top inside of the skimmer needs tiles.
I had some in the garage [as I collect them as they fall off], but
they must have been thrown out during cleaning.
I have been googling all weekend trying to find them!!
We need an image match algorithm!!
Did you see my web page?
http://deodiaus.tripod.com/tile.htm
I think I'd have better luck scourging the city dump, since a local
pool builder might have used the same set elsewhere, and renovated
them since!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skil...057064,00.html
references a place that makes tile to order
North Prairie Tileworks, in Minneapolis

www.handmadetile.com
??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 10:04 PM, Deodiaus wrote:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skil...057064,00.html
references a place that makes tile to order
North Prairie Tileworks, in Minneapolis

www.handmadetile.com
??

Must be a really nice pool. Be sure to call some pool repair people for
ideas. I have a very similar problem but, like I said, I could easily
get some tiles out of the skimmer.

What I ended up doing was replacing the tiles with generic looking
bathroom tile. But my pool isn't a show pool. I'm just keeping it from
falling apart.

Pools can be money pits.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just thought of an idea.
What if I were to find another tile, which I could cut down to the
same dimensions.
Are there any places which sells unglazed tiles, which I could cut and
shape?

How easy is it to match the colors and have them colored and glazed?
I say that because maybe the colors might change during the kiln
firing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 10:24 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I just thought of an idea.
What if I were to find another tile, which I could cut down to the
same dimensions.
Are there any places which sells unglazed tiles, which I could cut and
shape?

How easy is it to match the colors and have them colored and glazed?
I say that because maybe the colors might change during the kiln
firing?

I don't think so.

Personally, I think you're going to have to make some compromises. Like
I said, call some pool repair contractors. They deal with this stuff all
the time.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
I am trying to find pool tiles on the internet.
I am looking for ideas on how to find pool tiles for a pool build 17
years ago.
Basically, I have a mosaic pattern made up of two types.
One type is a 2"x2" square with a corner cut out which will
accommodate a circular (1.5" diameter) piece.
The second type is a rectangular tile, 2"x1".
Both are in a aqua blue color.
I have been looking at patterns on www.ebay.com and www.google.com for
hours.
How do I find such a thing? Any good ideas on how to formulate a good
search?
I am thinking of joining a ceramics class so that I can make a dozen.
Any other ideas?

http://deodiaus.tripod.com/tile.htm

Have you tried local tile shops? You might get lucky.

I used epoxy grout to replace loose tiles in my spa.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 11:24*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
I just thought of an idea.
What if I were to find another tile, which I could cut down to the
same dimensions.
Are there any places which sells unglazed tiles, which I could cut and
shape?

How easy is it to match the colors and have them colored and glazed?
I say that because maybe the colors might change during the kiln
firing?

You are going to have to remove tiles from an intact area and take
them
to a place that makes special custom tiles...

It will cost an arm and a leg... Your hopes to join a ceramics class
and
produce your own are a pipe dream...

Or you could just re-tile the entire pool in the band where those
decorative
tiles are located...

Matching existing tiling is an art, be prepared to pay out the nose
for the
one or two local experts at doing it in your area...

This is why when you make an expensive improvement to your home
where you are using tiles or carpeting or pre-finished materials you
would
want to obtain extra materials which you keep hidden away in some
closet or corner of the basement if something ever gets damaged...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought the house a couple of years ago and there are no spare tiles.
Funny, but my real estate agent made me throw out the old paint
buckets stored under my house, because she claimed that the new buyer
might reject the buy if "he finds garbage under the house" during the
walk through before signing on the dotted lines.
I left them there in case the buyer wanted to do touch up work.
I guess the real estate agent has her contractor friend to whom she
gives a lot of work

BTW, Years ago, I had a door I was trying to find a sliding bracket
for a sliding glass door made by Adore Corp in La Jolla, CA in 1954.
The hardware store had connections to a place in Hagerstown, MD which
stocked all sorts of stuff, for $25 for them, and $25 for the hardware
store.
There was one piece that they could not find in the catelog, so they
asked if they could send it to the merchant. They lost my piece. I
asked for it back, but they told me that I told them to throw it out.
I wanted to punch the guy in the face so bad!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 11, 2011 at 2:21:31 AM UTC+5:30, Deodiaus wrote:
I am trying to find pool tiles on the internet.
I am looking for ideas on how to find pool tiles for a pool build 17
years ago.
Basically, I have a mosaic pattern made up of two types.
One type is a 2"x2" square with a corner cut out which will
accommodate a circular (1.5" diameter) piece.
The second type is a rectangular tile, 2"x1".
Both are in a aqua blue color.
I have been looking at patterns on www.ebay.com and www.google.com for
hours.
How do I find such a thing? Any good ideas on how to formulate a good
search?
I am thinking of joining a ceramics class so that I can make a dozen.
Any other ideas?

http://deodiaus.tripod.com/tile.htm

If you want to replace or to clean it.
Please check this http://www.pooltilesdirect.com.au/