Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 30 year anthony silvan pool - Coping tiles showing pits and aggregate

We have a 30+ year old anthony Silvan pool. The coping stones are the
white precast concrete bullnose type. They haven't been properly
sealed and are old. The aggregate is showing in spots and there are
pits where aggregate stones fell out.

I'm going to need the whole replacemnet repair where the bedding for
the coping tiles and the tiles are replaced. I need to put the job off
for a year or so.

In the meantime, I'd like to seal up the coping stones to keep them
from deteriorating any further. I can see a couple of options and
would like any opinions.

1. Use something like Thompson's water seal. - Not sure if it will
leave the stones slick and I surely don't want to get any in the pool

2. Paint the coping stones with a concrete paint and non skid
addative.

3. Use a surface bonding cement - Expensive and it would be difficult
to follow the bullnose or blend it where the curve is.

All I'm trying to do is stabilize the upper surface of the coping to
get another year or two out of it. We are in Pennsylvania so I'm
afraid if I do nothing, the winter will take it's toll on the
surface..

I know the best solution would be a complete replacement but we have a
lot of other major repairs pending.. You know how it goes.. 5 grand
here, 10 grand there.. pretty soon it starts adding up to real money..

Posted to alt.home.repair

cgmsys writes:

In the meantime, I'd like to seal up the coping stones to keep them
from deteriorating any further. I can see a couple of options and
would like any opinions.

Just get some sanded grout, make a dry mix, and pack it into the voids.
You can use unsanded grout as a skim layer to cover rough areas. Use an
polymer modified type to get the best adhesion and workability. Very
laborious so not practical except for limited areas of attention.

The Quikrete acrylic fortifier would make a fine, clear, paintable sealer
right out of the jug. You don't need "concrete" paint. Any outdoor
acrylic would do.

Forget Thompson's. That's just wax in mineral spirits.

If you want to make a serious effort of it, you can make your own mold to
duplicate the existing cast coping stones. It's not that difficult to make
concrete molds on a hobby basis. White portland cement is at Home Depot,
mix with gravel and quartz sand to make your own white concrete.

Concrete should last forever. Not clear why your coping is disintegrating.