Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to unshrink all-leather work gloves (deerskin, goatskin, nocowhide)?

I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:31*pm, Mel Knight wrote:
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

Plan A.....I would start by wetting them, put dowels in the fingers
approx. the same size as your fingers and a block in the palm until
they dry.

Plan B.......go visit OJ Simpson for advise.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:00:58 -0700, Hank wrote:
Plan A.....I would start by wetting them, put dowels in the fingers
approx. the same size as your fingers and a block in the palm until they
dry.

This is (in a way) what I'm trying.

I soaked them in motor oil and wore them for about a half hour, flexing
like a muscle builder the whole time.

They're currently drying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear sir/madam,

We would like to introduce ourselves "Q Paks Com"
as Professional manufacturers & exporters having our own set up not depending on Makers or Vendors, our products range: Jiu Jitsu Uniform & Belts, Karate Uniform, Judo Uniform. T-Shirt, Hoodies, MMA Shorts, Boxing Shorts,
and Boxing Gloves, MMA Gloves, Kick Pad,Head Guard, Focus Mitt and Accessories, All kind of gloves, All Horse Riding product etc.

Thanking you awaiting your favorable response.
With best regards,
Kashif Qasim
***********
Q.PAKS.Com.PK
Pasrur Road, Doburji Araian
Sialkot - 51310 Pakistan
Ph: +92 307 616 9960
E-Mail:
WEB Site;Q.PAKS.COM
Skype ID: kashif.qasim786
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2013 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If I have a pair of gloves that shrunk and don't fit, I give them to a
friend of mine and he squeezes his hands into them to they do fin. My
buddy, OJ, does this a lot.

Gloves don't fit? Send them to:
O J Simpson
Cell 3549
County Jail
Nevada.

His new email adress: Backslash, backslash, delete, two, escape.

You think Q Pac's hand shakes a bit on the mouse?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:39:27 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Gloves don't fit? Send them to:
O J Simpson
Cell 3549
County Jail
Nevada.

Better yet, address OJ in state prison - not the county jail
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mel Knight wrote:
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

While still moist, tightly stuff with shredded newspaper
or toilet paper, starting with the fingers.
When dry, remove that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 23:58:14 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:
While still moist, tightly stuff with shredded newspaper or toilet
paper, starting with the fingers. When dry, remove that.

That, I think, is the best suggestion so far.

Of course, it's too late for this set of gloves - but in the future it
will be tried.

Of course, given these arc-welding gloves are mid-wrist in length (far
longer than your typical garden leather gloves), it will be a bear to get
shredded newspaper into or out of the finger holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mel, I would consider getting some diameter of PEX type plastic
pipe. This stuff is firm but flexible. Get one that works for
your finger size (may require a larger size for the thumb). Just
to try it out, shove the pieces of pipe into the fingers when
sopping wet. This may not keep the fingers long enough, but
should sure maintain the finger diameters.

If the thought works out, you could develop a hand form mounted on
a board to stick the gloves on. This would allow hanging a weight
on the cuffs to prevent the fingers from shortening.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Mel Knight" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 23:58:14 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:
While still moist, tightly stuff with shredded newspaper or
toilet
paper, starting with the fingers. When dry, remove that.

That, I think, is the best suggestion so far.

Of course, it's too late for this set of gloves - but in the
future it
will be tried.

Of course, given these arc-welding gloves are mid-wrist in
length (far
longer than your typical garden leather gloves), it will be a
bear to get
shredded newspaper into or out of the finger holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 1:53 PM, DanG wrote:
Mel, I would consider getting some diameter of PEX type plastic
pipe. This stuff is firm but flexible. Get one that works for
your finger size (may require a larger size for the thumb). Just
to try it out, shove the pieces of pipe into the fingers when
sopping wet. This may not keep the fingers long enough, but
should sure maintain the finger diameters.

If the thought works out, you could develop a hand form mounted on
a board to stick the gloves on. This would allow hanging a weight
on the cuffs to prevent the fingers from shortening.

Lordy. Go to HF, buy some of the gauntleted rubberized fabric gloves
rated for HazMat cleanup, and get on with your life. Six months after OP
passes away, or is too feeble to cut brush, that back 40 of his will be
impassable again anyway.

Most of us have enough PITA outdoor chores to suck up more than our
available time, without assigning ourselves Augean stables to clean like
that. Toxic plants are Ma Nature's way of saying 'humans keep out'.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 6, 4:31*pm, Mel Knight wrote:
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

An industrial supply house should have gloves more suitable to what
you are doing. There are plastic coated types with metal
reinforcements and many other unusual designs. Check McMaster and
Grainger for possibilities.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mel Knight" wrote in message
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

I soak mine in water for about an hour, then wear them until they are dry.
Werks fer me.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2011 5:31 PM, Mel Knight wrote:
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

I buy cheap $0.67 cotton gloves and throw them out when I'm done using
them or they are dirty, not for poison ivy, but other stuff.

Poison ivy I just wash well with dishwashing detergent (the soap of
choice has to cut oil/grease) *within* an hour or two and never have a
problem.

Do a combination of the two and you may have a solution to getting
poison ivy.

I offer this advice because I never had any good luck with unshrinking
leather. Or I suppose you could take the leather gloves to a dry cleaner?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2011 12:58 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

Cotton gloves over single-use nitrile sounds like a good compromise for
pulling poisonous weeds. I wouldn't throw them out after every use, but
I would mark them with a sharpie and store them in a dedicated sealed
container between uses. Only open the container when wearing the fresh
nitrile, and seal the container before taking them off. That way, bare
skin never touches the contaminated gloves. Note for casual readers- you
never wash anything with poison or irritating plant oils in a washing
machine used for regular clothing. Plastic bucket and garden hose, while
wearing rubber gloves.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2011 10:18 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I always wash clothing that contacted poison ivy in the washing machine
and never had a problem. I think in my case the detergent washes the
oily poison away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:09:19 -0400, Tony Miklos wrote:

I always wash clothing that contacted poison ivy in the washing machine
and never had a problem. I think in my case the detergent washes the
oily poison away.

I always wash my clothes right after working with this poison oak. The
clothes come out splotched with black oils from the poison oak. It looks
like I've been in a grease-gun fight. The gloves are stained black as if
the kids put markers all over them. That's all the poison oak oils after
they've oxidized in the wash.

This isn't little stuff. These vines are as thick as your wrist. Little
cotton gloves are NOT going to cut it. I was hoping the leather would
hold up. Gas welding gloves were nice and long but the cowhide was too
thick. The arc welding gloves fit and worked perfectly.

The main problem is they shrink. I like the idea of 'dry cleaning' them.
I wonder if I can buy dry-cleaning solvent at the hardware store.

What dry-cleaning solvent can I buy at the hardware store that will clean
leather gloves of urushiol?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mel Knight wrote:

What dry-cleaning solvent can I buy at the hardware store that will
clean leather gloves of urushiol?

Tetrachloroethylene, AKA brake cleaner (Brakleen - red can). Unless you
live in California, of course.

Otherwise, a good detergent removes the oil.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2011 5:16 PM, Mel Knight wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:09:19 -0400, Tony Miklos wrote:

I always wash clothing that contacted poison ivy in the washing machine
and never had a problem. I think in my case the detergent washes the
oily poison away.

I always wash my clothes right after working with this poison oak. The
clothes come out splotched with black oils from the poison oak. It looks
like I've been in a grease-gun fight. The gloves are stained black as if
the kids put markers all over them. That's all the poison oak oils after
they've oxidized in the wash.

I think the other poster was suggesting that if you washed your urushiol
tainted clothes in the washing machine, then all your regular clothes
will become contaminated when washing them in the same machine. That's
how I read it anyway, I could be wrong, it happens a lot.

It seems difficult to find accurate information about it online. One
website tells you to wash it off with plain water and whatever you do,
do not take a shower or you will spread it all over your body! I wash
my hands with soap or dish detergent first then take a shower and use
lots of soap. Lather rinse repeat, lather rinse repeat.

The Conservation Commission of Missouri says "CONTRARY TO POPULAR
BELIEF, poison oak is found only in a few counties in extreme southern
Missouri. Another common misconception is the belief that poison sumac
or shumac grows in Missouri. This shrub or small tree resembles smooth
sumac but has never been found in the state."

Do you happen to be in extreme southern Missouri? Seriously, I'm curious.

I never heard of the black stains but it's a popular topic online. Even
a poison test I find very interesting.

One means of identifying poison ivy in the field is the €śblack spot
test.€ť Leaves are collected (without direct skin contact) and placed on
a sheet of white paper. The leaves are crushed and discarded. If the
resulting stain turns dark brown or black within a few minutes of
exposure to air, this is evidence that the leaves are likely from a
Toxicodendron plant quoted from
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/572966_3 I'm going to have to try
that with some poison ivy. (I'm a bit of a mad scientist).

This isn't little stuff. These vines are as thick as your wrist. Little
cotton gloves are NOT going to cut it. I was hoping the leather would
hold up. Gas welding gloves were nice and long but the cowhide was too
thick. The arc welding gloves fit and worked perfectly.

Yikes! Vines that big I just cut so it kills the rest of the plant,
especially if it's killing a tree by shading the leaves. I'll assume
you want the stuff GONE not just stop it from spreading.

I'm guessing the softer gloves were for light MIG or TIG welding. TIG
gloves are really thin and supple. For gas welding you don't need very
heavy gloves either since your hands are often fairly far away from the
flame. I don't see how they would be thicker than for arc welding, and
arc welding covers a lot of different types of welding. It pretty much
means you use electric.

The main problem is they shrink. I like the idea of 'dry cleaning' them.
I wonder if I can buy dry-cleaning solvent at the hardware store.

Now that I think of it, the dry cleaning solution is often reused, it
could spread the oil to other peoples clothes!

What dry-cleaning solvent can I buy at the hardware store that will clean
leather gloves of urushiol?

Can't help you there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:31*pm, Mel Knight wrote:
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

There are glove maker's forms. Dont know what they are really called.
Part of making some gloves is to put them on a form wet and let them
shrink to fit/

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 06:02:06 -0700, JIMMIE wrote:
There are glove maker's forms.

What I tried, which worked somewhat, was to put nitrile gloves on, and
then put the shrunken leather gloves on, and then pour new motor oil into
an oil-drain pan and then dip my gloved hands into that motor oil.

Then I clamped my fist and 'stretched' them for about a half hour in the
oil.

They're 'drying' now. Hopefully that might work. Dunno if I'm going to
get cancer from the motor oil though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mel Knight wrote:
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

I wonder what low air pressure would do. Fasten them somehow to a
piece of pvc pipe then put a few pounds of pressure to them. Use a
pipe roughly the diameter of your wrist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:31*pm, Mel Knight wrote:
I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.

Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.

I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...

Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

Oh yeah thats easy.
After you wash them off and get ready for bed put them back on and go
to sleep by the morning they should be dried and you can take them
off. See thinking a little with your brain does not hurt if you do not
let it.
Do you know how to get a goddamned monitoring device out of your back?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mel Knight, Leslie landberg wrote:
Melbari wrote:

I buy deerskin and goatskin leather gloves from the arc-welding shops to
pull poison oak vines so I'm forced to wash the gloves after use.
Even though I buy XL (the largest size they have in the non-cowhide
gloves), once it's washed (even in just cold water with air drying), they
shrink so much, that I can barely fit them on my hands.
I actually doubt there is a solution - but - just in case, may I ask ...
Is there a way to un-shrink leather work gloves?

Wow. You are totally overthinking this, but I had chime in. Since
logically a strong dish soap is ideal in removing the oils, just don your
dish gloves and wash them thoroughly in the sink. Dry well in towelling
and simply wear the gloves until they are nearly dry, then rub well with
goatskin glove moisturizers/protectants and wear them a bit longer. All
will be well. The gloves dry quickly when you wear them. The whole
process should take about half an hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mel Knight, TDHeller wrote:
*TRY THIS* Sandbox sand is CHEAP 6.00 50#. Fill gloves with sand and top off
with paper towel to hold in the sand.
In the Oven at about 200 F for 30-45 min - or dry. I'm doing mine now

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-628976-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to TDHeller, TDHeller wrote:
By the Way my gloves came out perfectly dry and not shrunken in the least. The
oven bit is simply to help heat the sand for a more uniform fit. I hope it
works for you - it's now my "Go To " for wet leather gloves.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-628976-.htm

Work gloves Roger Chapman UK diy 11 November 24th 10 05:05 PM
Working leather gloves from mcmaster Ignoramus8643 Metalworking 34 January 9th 08 08:00 PM
Work Gloves kanghuaiqiang Home Repair 0 October 30th 07 04:41 AM
Work gloves tip [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 13th 06 12:05 AM
Good, strong gloves, but not leather? David Pearson UK diy 61 September 6th 05 09:07 PM